Consumer Reviews of Heil central air conditioners

Read more about Heil central air conditioners

Date created: 2008-09-05 Name: J. L. Lowe
Location: Blytheville, Ar.

"Mr"
This Seer 13 unit is being replaced this day with a new unit. Two days ago the third compressor went out. The first (original)compressor went out in May 2008, the second failed in July 08. I will never again purchase a Heil unit for any reason, and I caution everyone against the same.

Date created: 2008-08-14 Name: Fletch
Location: Phoenix

"10 years and going strong!"
Wow, what can I say? 10 years in Phoenix and I keep my house at 69 degrees. Had the breakers replaced and the drip pan but that's it!
Date created: 2008-08-10 Name: J. Lawley
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada

"Very Short Life"
I too have had problems. My unit cost $2000 to install and lasted for only 8 years. Cost of fixing is way too much so am looking for a new one and have advised anyone who asks me "not to buy a Heil"
Date created: 2008-08-02 Name: Elizabeth Brogan
Location: Blueridge, VA

"Multiple problems with Heil central air unit"
Purchased a Heil 10 unit in June or July of 2004 the first problem came when we woke up on Christmas morning 2004 and had no heat , we called the company we had purchased it from they came out several days later and said it was 2 Relay switches,circuit board on the inside unit. Then they tried to blame it on not changing the filters monthly when we know we had on a regular basis. Then later on in the winter of 2007 no heat again I called a friend of ours who has worked on units for a living, he found that the center outside fan was welded and the seam had came loose, and shaft was spinning but not the fan its self, the unit has frozen up twice in the last year on the inside and I have had to have him defrost and repair it. Our friend says that Heil is the worst unit and most cheaply made unit of any brand. I Had a central air unit that had been in my home for over 13yrs with no problems till the outside unit had been struck by lightning.
Date created: 2008-07-18 Name: K. Pernerewski
Location: Connecticut

"Unsatisfied"
My unit has never worked right. Every summer we have the company out that installed the unit. This year it died. Great, 2 months after the warranty expired. It would freeze up constantly, did not keep the house very cool and was always dying in the middle of a heat wave. I do not use the a/c that much but when the air quality outside is bad I need the a/c because I suffer from asthma. I definitely am looking for a more reliable unit.
Date created: 2008-06-29 Name: G. Arnold
Location: Bakersfield, CA

"Wouldn't Buy Again"
I had a new Heil air conditioner/heater roof unit installed 5 years ago. Since then, replaced the heating unit (waited 5 days in winter cold for the part to arrive) and now air conditioning circuit board melted. Could have caused a roof fire because the meltdown caused the exhaust fan to run continuously which was overheating the fan motor. Will never buy Heil unit again. Very unreliable product!
Date created: 2008-06-28 Name: V. Walton
Location: Los Angeles, CA

"Very Dissatisfied"
In less than 1 year my system went out 3 times. Now I am dealing with a broken contactor and can't get the part. The closest dealer to me is over 30 miles away. The product is very unreliable.
Date created: 2008-06-11 Name: Bob Jones

"President"
I replaced an air conditioner I had for 20 years with a new Heil 4ton unit. Now one year of very light use and I am having to replace the compressor to the tune of $1000.00 dollars, you can say I am very displeased. Under normal circumstances this unit would be under warranty but since it was installed in a business space they only guarantee it for one year, the space has been empty 80% of that time.
Date created: 2008-05-12 Name: Vlad
Location: Plant City, Florida

This Heil pam unit keeps freezing up and floods itself once every summer and I have to go outside to vacuum it out with a shopvac. We live in Florida so air conditioning is a must. Every house in our neighborhood has a Heil air conditioner and people tell me that this has also happened to them. We also have a small freon leak. It's not too bad, but I will never buy from Heil again.
Date created: 2007-08-05 Name: Ken K
Location: Monmouth County, NJ

After reading the last few reviews, I wonder how lucky we are. Our (Quaker)-Heil is still cooling this 3 level split plus basement. It is so old, we decided to start looking for a replacement. Last summer, a NJ Natural Gas employee checked it and said parts might be a problem in the future...and it really spins the meter. After reading the last few reviews, however, I think I might look toward another brand. (Our furnace is a Kenmore Whirlpool that Sears said was also made by Heil (1979 condensing) It is also still going strong (but it has a Sears service contract)