Consumer Reviews of Heil central air conditioners

Read more about Heil central air conditioners

Date created: 2008-06-11 Name: Bob Jones

"President"
I replaced an air conditioner I had for 20 years with a new Heil 4ton unit. Now one year of very light use and I am having to replace the compressor to the tune of $1000.00 dollars, you can say I am very displeased. Under normal circumstances this unit would be under warranty but since it was installed in a business space they only guarantee it for one year, the space has been empty 80% of that time.

Date created: 2008-05-12 Name: Vlad
Location: Plant City, Florida

This Heil pam unit keeps freezing up and floods itself once every summer and I have to go outside to vacuum it out with a shopvac. We live in Florida so air conditioning is a must. Every house in our neighborhood has a Heil air conditioner and people tell me that this has also happened to them. We also have a small freon leak. It's not too bad, but I will never buy from Heil again.

Date created: 2007-08-05 Name: Ken K
Location: Monmouth County, NJ

After reading the last few reviews, I wonder how lucky we are. Our (Quaker)-Heil is still cooling this 3 level split plus basement. It is so old, we decided to start looking for a replacement. Last summer, a NJ Natural Gas employee checked it and said parts might be a problem in the future...and it really spins the meter. After reading the last few reviews, however, I think I might look toward another brand. (Our furnace is a Kenmore Whirlpool that Sears said was also made by Heil (1979 condensing) It is also still going strong (but it has a Sears service contract)

Date created: 2007-07-28 Name: J.E. Ballow
Location: Springfield, IL

Have owned a Heil AC/Heating system for ten years. From day one when the AC first kicks on there is a click followed by what can only be described as an explosion. It sounds like a bomb going off in my yard. A few seconds later the fan kicks in and the system performs well thereafter. Have had several HVAC companies look at it, got many different explanations, no cure. Can anyone help with this problem?

Date created: 2007-01-30 Name: RC
Location: Annandale, VA

I just replaced a 22 year old three ton unit that worked in concert with a 43 year old gas furnace. The unit never failed and I only replaced it due to a good off season sale for both new parts. It was barely maintained ( serviced only twice for routine maintenance) but worked fine but for effieiency which was low by today's standards

Date created: 2006-11-30 Name: Pamela Turner
Location: Antioch, TN

4 months out of warranty the coil condensor went out. Another month later some other part costing 400$ went out. Now we are having trouble again. Terrible and not reliable!

Date created: 2006-08-01 Years owned: 3

I am very unhappy with the quality of my Heil Air conditioner. It was installed to my home in 2003 and has had to be serviced a number of times. Since I was not the original owner the 5 year warranty on parts and labour did not apply to me. A new air conditioner had been a selling point, because we had lived in a home that had central air and our unit never had a problem in 10 years. So my three year old air conditioner has had to have the condensate pump replaced after leaking water all over my basement carpets and now I am having to replace the fan on the outdoor unit. When I approached the installer they said there was nothing they can do.

Date created: 2006-07-25 Years owned: 6

Purchased new in 1999 2 years later contacts failed ,repairs covered by warrenty.2 years later the fan switch failed , took over 3 weeks for parts and repair.June 2006 unit failed again and estimate for repairs is 1100.00.AC company suggested I buy a new unit as this unit was not reliable. Jerry Reed jardhr2020@sbcglobal.net

Date created: 2006-06-30 Years owned: 2

Fan went out in the first year. Expansion valve went out the second year. Heil dealers and distributors do not stock this item. Took over a week to get it repaired. Local contractor for Heil took two trips and several hours to find the problem. It took several hundred dollars to fix the problem with the part being under warrenty.