Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN central air conditioners

Read more about GOODMAN central air conditioners

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2013-11-09 Name: Larry Harman
Location: Memphis, TN

"It is All About How It is Installed... Any Brand"
I am an HVAC contractor in Memphis, Tennessee. I have this to say: if it is not installed correctly, you will have problems. Let me start with replacing older systems. Your older system was R-22. If the line set is not the correct size for the r-410 system, you will have problems. If the old line set is the correct size but isn't flushed properly, leaving residue of oil in the line set (refrigerant lines from evaporator in attic or closet to the condensing unit) from R-22 system, you will have problems. If your return air plenums aren't properly sized and many old ones weren't, you will have problems. Contractors that install or replace systems properly are going to be a little more expensive than one who is cutting corners to get the bid lower. I can't even begin to list how many times I have been called out on units that were in warranty, installed by God knows who, and found wrong line set sizes, wrong duct or plenum sizes, poor brazing connections, all from poor installation. Be more concerned with who you use than what brand you are buying. Check with BBB or Google the company that you plan to use and read reviews. Make sure you use a licensed contractor. Make sure they pull a permit. If you're not licensed, you cannot pull a permit to install a furnace, evaporator coil, or a condensing unit in most places. Read your estimates, ask questions. Another important fact: ok, now you have your new system installed. Just because it is brand new, doesn't mean it doesn't need to be cleaned (condensing unit coils) thoroughly each spring. It also doesn't mean you don't need to change your air filters regularly. You, the homeowner are responsible for preventative maintenance, to keep your new system running for years without problems. I have gone out several times, too many times on several brands, just two years old, with bad capacitors or condensing fan motors. Homeowner is upset because unit is brand new. What caused this? Was it the equipment or a bad installation? Neither, it was a stopped up condensing unit. Spraying a little water on the outside of the condensing unit to remove grass clippings, doesn't remove the dirt, dust and pollen that has built up inside the coil fins. The outside may look clean to you but air isn't getting through that dirty coil. The pressures run high, swell capacitors and get condensing fan motors hot. Then they fail. Yeah, you will get a new capacitor or motor under warranty, although technically you shouldn't because it was not caused by a factory defect, it was caused by lack of maintenance of your equipment. So, please don't be so quick to condemn the brand you buy. How it was put in and how it was taken care of after it was put in is the key!!

Date created: 2013-10-28 Name: Craig
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.

"Never a Problem"
Hi. We had our Goodman AC unit with oil furnace installed in 2004 in our new house. We never had any problems at all with it. With the price of oil sky high, I'm getting a Goodman heat pump installed in 2 weeks. If you get it sized and installed properly, I think you will be happy with their products.

Date created: 2013-10-20 Name: Isidro Pastrano
Location: Biloxi.MS

"Bad Unit"
Adding freon every year is not good. Can't find leak. Installer serviceman added freon two years in a row, then won't answer phone. Warranty is running out, just like Goodman installer. How do I sue for a new unit? I am a retired installer and serviceman and will never recommend this unit. Cities should not allow installations of this unit.

Date created: 2013-10-04 Name: Suzanne Chapman
Location: Bradenton, FL

"Goodman Air Conditioner -- Awful!!"
We bought this unit from an AC repair company in 2004 and have had nothing but problems. It breaks down at least once a year for some major repair. It wasn't very good when we first had it. Started freezing up immediately and then a part broke. It is loud, noisy and unreliable. Save yourself money and grief and buy a decent AC unit. For the amount of the repair bills, we could have bought a Trane to begin with.

Date created: 2013-08-31 Name: Nathan L. Martin, Sr.
Location: Chattanooga, Tn.

"Serial #0711166116"
Live in town home community. Units installed in number of family dwellings in 2007 - 2008 - 2009 - and now the A/C coil in the attic units are leaking and have to be replaced. This problem is widespread in our community since four families have so far had to have coil replaced. It has been determined from a reliable source that the coils are defective due to inferior copper used in manufacturing. The coils are being replaced with aluminum units.

Date created: 2013-08-24 Name: Caleb W
Location: Durham, NC

"Buy a Trane"
Our 10 year old unit had an evaporator coil leak and other prolems, and we bought a Goodman to replace it. Only three years later, it had an evaporator coil leak, on a brand new unit. Now four years in, the motor completely went out. If it were not for the warranty, we would be $2000 out of pocket for a brand new unit. Our warranty expires next year and I'm not looking forward to it.

Date created: 2013-08-09 Name: SD
Location: NC

"Ultra Reliable"
My home is 20 years old. The original Amana compressor and coil failed after about 5 years. The repairman replaced it with a Goodman unit. Zero problems for nearly 15 years now and a fraction of the cost. Good, simple, solid, reliable.

Date created: 2013-08-07 Name: Bryan
Location: Fredericksburg, va

"People Do Not Understand"
Well I'm going to write a quick response not that the unsatisfied people will listen to but here it is. If you negative people read the good posts, you will see that just like the other technicians have said "installation is the most important part" this is 100% true. I've installed many Goodman/Amana units and have never had a call back. It's just like taking your car to a shade tree mechanic and he does half way work. This is what happens when you wanna save a dollar and hire someone to do it at the cheapest price. So when you need to replace your HVAC system, don't cut corners by saving a dollar. Your system is one of the most crucial parts of your home next to the structure. Make sure you have a heat load performed to ensure proper size. Ask your installer how low he pulled a vacuum to. I make sure I can at least get to 500 microns, this will tell you there are no leaks and you have all moisture out because moisture will kill a compressor in a heartbeat. Make sure the size of your ductwork and suggest modifications if needed because airflow is also very important. It's like, you're running 5 miles with only one nostril open. So people, do a little research and do not bad mouth a system manufacturer until you check into your installer because most companies only care about your signed check. Trust me, I've been there and seen how companies will treat the gullible homeowner. I've replaced more Trane units than I have Goodmans and usually when I replace a Goodman, it's because it's 20+ years old.

Date created: 2013-08-04 Name: Eugene
Location: Cheaspeake, VA

"I Must Tell Besides Name Brand"
I must tell besides name brand: Goodman, Carrier, Trane, Tempstar, Nordyne, Lennox, Ruud, Rheem, Maytag, Thermal King, and much more brands that I can list, but there is one thing all this unit do and that is to condition the area. Now, most and some people especially the know-it-alls!!! These people go online, believe the hype online about warranties. Look, call the manufacturer to verify that warranty. You know some people think they're so smart it makes them not look so smart. Most manufacturers on their own website will throw you the warranty up there and even sell you the systems online, but please read the warranties and agreements thoroughly. To be honest, I live in Virginia and there is a large number of jacklegs in this trade. My recommendation is, a lot of companies don't understand theory along with heat/load calculation/cfm and properly sizing ductwork for a given installation. A person with this in mind is worth the money. Now, when looking for the right company look up reviews on that company and how long they been in the business. This will weed out the newbies just trying to make fast cash!!! PROPER INSTALLATION = PROPER OPERATION

Date created: 2013-08-03 Name: E. Chieppo
Location: Loveland, CO

"Goodman equipment"
I am an hvac contractor that has been working in the hvac industry for over 20 years. I have installed and worked on many different brands of equipment. There are definitely some lemons out there, but Goodman is not one of them. If you look at the internal parts and design, Goodman is one of the best in these categories. Many of the top higher end brands have similar design as Goodman. Goodman has had their design for a very long time and one of the best warranties in the industry. Goodman has made it very hard for the other top name brands to compete with their prices. One of the most important aspects of the functionality and longevity of the equipment is the installer. Most of the bad reviews stem from a bad, sloppy, and or corner cutting install. I have seen and/or worked on most brands in my 20+ years and I have chosen Goodman for my equipment.

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>