Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN central air conditioners

Read more about GOODMAN central air conditioners

Date created: 2008-06-27 Name: M. Roche
Location: Dallas, TX

"Goodman is JUNK!"
Purchased this unit 2 years ago and have had 2 very expensive service calls. The copper coils spring freon leaks - which is not covered under warranty. I am cutting my losses and installing a Trane today. The repariman said that goodman is the "Kia" of ac units. Do not purchase this product.

Date created: 2008-06-26 Name: Gina
Location: Arizona

"Dont waste your money"
New home and I need a new A/C system

Date created: 2008-06-25 Name: SGA
Location: Montgomery, AL

"Dreadful company; dreadful equipment"
The Goodman HVAC system was installed by the previous owners of my townhouse: I was delighted to have a system that was only two years old. In the past seven years I have replaced the condenser and two leaking coils. I have put freon in every summer. The third coil is leaking--and, of course--is not covered by warranty. There is obviously a quality control problem and a give-a-care problem on the part of the company. Tomorrow I am installing a $10,000 Trane to replace a system that should have lasted another ten years. I would not consider buying another house with a system by Goodman in it!

Date created: 2008-06-24 Name: Mad Bastard
Location: Chandler, AZ

"Jury Out...But so far NOT Happy."
Just had in Warranty coil replaced on split unit. My In Warranty Price for labor and whatever else they wanna clip you for was $800.00. My coil evidently was leaking freon But the good news it was under warranty...Hee Hee Then the contractor hammers you on labor.

Date created: 2008-06-20 Name: Brian
Location: Tucson, AZ

"Own several Goodmans...."
I have used a contractor over the last couple of years, so I now have Goodman in three units.. Townhouse #1 --> Goodman coil only (3 years) Townhouse #2 --> Goodman AC roof unit (2 years) Single Family --> Goodman coil (1 month) No problems so far.. Too soon to tell about quality. However, be aware of the reviews. I was getting nervous that this site had Goodman 2 of 5. As of 6/20/08, I see that Lennox 1 of 5 Rheem 2 of 5 Trane 3 of 5 These are good brands! Conclusion, most people that have problems w/ units are posting.

Date created: 2008-06-17 Name: C. Dickson
Location: Aiken, SC

"Dissatisfied with Goodman"
I would not recommend Goodman products!!! I have had four service calls over 2 years on units that are barely three years old. First it was electronic control boards (two boards failed on the same unit). Most recently, a compressor failed in one unit while a fan failed in the unit sitting beside it. Thank God these were both under warranty (I can see why Goodman has to dangle this carrot now!). Bad news is - we're out $650 in labor to get them repaired! In hindsight, I'd gladly pay more up front for quality; quality in the form of American-Standard, Trane, etc.

Date created: 2008-06-17 Name: Ticked off
Location: Florida

"1 1/2 yrs old and already costing me $$$"
Unit barely 1 1/2 years old, brand new house, and already I'm shelling out $600 to replace the evaporator coil that sprung a leak. It's under warranty, but not the labor of course. So what does the tech tell me that comes out when I ask if this is normal? You have a Goodman so yes, it is normal for this brand of A/C unit. He's been replacing a lot of them lately as they were all installed approximately the same time as mine. I'm filing a complaint with the builder, with Goodman, with my attorney, and with everyone else I can possibly find to complain to.

Date created: 2008-06-16 Name: J .Martinez
Location: NJ

"Goodman's are good when installed proper"
I've been installing Goodman furnaces and Central A/C for over 7 years and never had a compressor failure nor major issue as stated in many of these postings. I also believe that most of these failures that the people on these posting have experienced is due to a lack of know how by their installers. From past experience I have found that many of these contractors tend to undersize or oversize the units and also use improper duct sizing. I find that 14 seer and over are surprisingly quiet for their size.

Date created: 2008-06-16 Name: J Badgley
Location: Tallahassee, Florida

"J Badgley"
I have been in the HVAC field for 40 years. I have worked for a utility company's service department for 38 years. We repaired Goodman equipment and in general they are simple to repair and very reliable. Proper installation is the key to good running equipment. The installer must read the installation manual! I inspected new installations for the utility and you would be surprise on how many installers don't read the manuals. I am going to replace my AC system with a Goodman because they give you bang for the buck. Also I replace my equipment every 9 years. Technology changes and efficiency improves. It pays to upgrade if you can afford it.

Date created: 2008-06-13 Name: Jennifer Downs
Location: Davidsonville, Maryland

"Unhappy Home Owner"
Bought a system in August of 04. August of 07, the fan motor needed to be replaced. June of 08, Reversing valve leaked all freon out and so I had that replaced and the system re-charged. I called the consumer affairs department with Goodman and the lady told me I should have bought the extended warranty (it's not even 5 years old!) Even though the parts were under warranty, I've spent over $500 in labor.