Consumer Reviews of Goodman central air conditioners

Read more about Goodman central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-02-18 Name: Ken
Location: Gilbert, AZ

"Don't let hacks install your unit"
We have been installing Goodman for years now. Their quality has improved greatly over the last 2 years. We have no problems with them at all. The main problem is that a lot of wanna be technicians install these units. Some of you people that have complaints have probably chosen to take the absolute lowest bid to install your system. Well, you get what you pay for!! Condensate problems are usually the result of poor installation. Also, airflow problems and improper cooling from a properly sized unit are due to poor installation. Some technicians frown on Goodman as well. Those techs are usually the ones who are not qualified to service anything!! We have installed both r-410a and r-22 systems with no problems. I have 2 Goodman units in my home as well, No problems. Once again, the unit is only as good as the company installing it.

Date created: 2009-02-04 Name: C. Weihs
Location: Sarasota, FL

"Goodman Air Conditioner"
We bought this air conditioning after much research about capacity and square footage. We have had continual problems with the unit shutting off, freezing, and coils etc. replaced 3 times. I am ready to drop kick this piece of garbage off a cliff. Do not buy a Goodman!!!!
Date created: 2009-01-28 Name: Steve Raymer
Location: Murfreesboro, TN

"Firefighter"
This is the worst hvac unit I have ever owned. purchased in 2003, repairs have been constant including,compressor,freon leaks,2 fan motors,4 computer boards,3 sensors,fan blades,does not heat, does not cool, what good is it? Would make a good boat anchor.
Date created: 2009-01-14 Name: P Alicea
Location: Clarksville, TN

"Goodman HVAC unit"
I had a Trane unit for 17 years and I replaced it with a cheaper Goodman unit. Big mistake! In less than a year I have had to have it repaired and I just called again because the unit is stuck on run all the time. I think I going to go ahead and cut my losses and buy a Trane unit. Please be careful and don't be fooled by the cheaper price. Trust me you will end up spending alot more money in the long run.
Date created: 2008-12-11 Name: T. Thompson
Location: Midlothian, TX

"Goodman unit no good"
I had my house built 3 yrs ago. Like most builders do I got the cheapest unit money could buy. Because I had generally had good luck with all a/c units in the past, it didn't seem that important to me, and I didn't do my homework. Shame on me. To make a long story, short. I have had this 5 ton unit serviced no less than 10 times in the last 3 yrs. Many calls to service because the outside unit wouldn't come on. In April 08, the compressor went out and I had to replace the evap coils because of a leak. Now, Dec 08 the compressor is out again. I have spent over $1400 in 2008 alone, to keep a 3 yr old unit running. This is unacceptable! I have contacted the Goodman Consumer Affairs dept several times now, with no response. I will never own a Goodman product again.
Date created: 2008-12-08 Name: Jim Poe
Location: Southeast, MO

"Goodman is the best"
I, am a professional heat and air specialist, I service all brands, makes and models. And I have 42 years in service work. You must have proper duck work, proper return air, and proper size wire for any unit. Improper airflow will cause motor problems . And wire too small will cause electrical components, and motors to fail. I still like Goodman, mine is 6 years, no problems, it does a perfect job and is quiet ,and cheap to run.
Date created: 2008-11-01 Name: J. D. Smith
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

"Homeowner"
I own 3 and 3 1/2 ton Goodman A/C units which cool my 2600 sq foot home. They are 11 seer, and were installed by the builder's A/C sub when I purchased the home new in 1993. They have been serviced every year, and as I recall each has had a capacitor replaced once, nothing else. I replace the filters every two to three months, and use ones with ratings in the 700 to 1000 range (filters with too high a rating can restrict air flow . . . I've read the min rating should be 600 . . . I suggest checking w/ your service expert for the filter ratings you need). Other than that, they have cooled to our desired temperature, and worked flawlessly during the extreme Arizona summers. Also, I'm not aware of problems any of my neighbors are having with their builder- installed Goodmans. I am aware of three replacements in the immediate neighborhood, all after about twelve years in operation. I don't understand the significant dissatisfaction some posters are having with their units. Sounds like installation problems could be the basis for some of them. Based on 15 years experience, I recommend Goodmans, and am currently in discussions to replace my old units with new 14 seer versions.
Date created: 2008-10-30 Name: JD
Location: Miramar, FL

"REPLACED COILS TWICE! 3 YR OLD UNIT"
Home was built in 2005 and, surprise, the builder installed the Goodman unit. Most likely, one of the cheapest options. I replaced the coils after 1 1/2 years and now have to replace them a second time. The coils are under warranty, but the installation is not, and they really stick it to you! Stay away from Goodman!
Date created: 2008-10-27 Name: R. W. Trusty
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

"HOME OWNER"
As I write this review, I am waiting for a repair man to get the parts needed to repair this piece of garbage for the 21st. time. This unit broke down 3 days after it was installed and befroe today it had broke down 20 times. I called the company several times to try and get the intire unit replaced but they only laughed. It's supposed to be below freezeing tomorrow morning, so, I'm going to pay to get it fixed again for the last time. I'm going to replace this piece of junk with a York. Goodman should be run out of business. Although, I think they are doing that themselves. Worst company ever. ps, the repairman said the company cant find the extended warrenty I paid for even though I have a receipt. Thats Goodman for you. never again
Date created: 2008-10-26 Name: C Hooper
Location: Fairview, TX

"Its all in the Installation and planning, Goodman makes quality AC units"
I had a GE/Trane gas heating unit and a Lennox outdoor unit that was installed in 1985. I decided to update the home and after getting quotes ranging from $8500 to $12,500 for Trane units (stay away from Home Depot) I had 3 friends in the A/C industry reluctantly persuade me to look at Goodman. I had a 3 ton unit and furnace installed into my home and I am extremely happy. It keeps our home more comfortable and the utility cost has been reduced. Bottom line is if you’re A/C service rep does not do a load calculation on your home before he suggests a tonnage, then run. This has to be done in order to accurately see what size your unit should be. There are many factors such as return air, insulation, etc when factoring in what size should be used. Also your installation should not be cheaply done. It does not matter if you install Trane, Goodman, Carrier, etc. if the install is poor and cheaply done, your unit will not last. Investigate your service company that is doing the install. If they use duct board for air boxes, then also run. I am very pleased with the warranty that Goodman offers, no one else in the business comes close, and just for the record there are only 3 A/C compressor companies in the world and all of the manufacturers buy their products from these three, so most of the parts are the same. Trane makes you buy only Trane to charge you more and only gives you a 10 year warranty. Make sure your unit is serviced on a schedule as well, this will ensure long life and catch any problems before they become major malfunctions.