Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN central air conditioners

Read more about GOODMAN central air conditioners

Date created: 2008-07-30 Name: Ron Reiter
Location: Claremont, CA

"Goodman AC Works Great"
I tend to agree with those suggesting that dissatisfaction with Goodman may be largely due to poor installation. We have a weekday house with a 29 year old A/C unit that continues to run without a hitch. And, about a year ago we had a Goodman installed at our weekend place in Palm Springs - - which clearly gives A/C a workout. The Goodman runs flawlessly!! Couldn't be happier with the A/C in both of our homes. It all comes down to proper maintenance and quality technicians.

Date created: 2008-07-29 Name: NM
Location: Charleston, SC

"Homeowner"
I had a Goodman system installed after I bought the house I am living in now. It is now 11.5 years old. I have had two repairs done on it since I had it. The last one was yesterday. Two years ago, lightning came in and burned out the circuit board in the air handling unit in the attic. This had nothing to do with the unit. I lost a computer, ceiling fan, telephone, and dvd player in the same storm. The repair yesterday was from ants building a nest in the switch on the outside compressor unit. They shorted it out. Again, nothing to do with the unit, just plain bad luck. The switch had to be replaced. I have to agree with some of the other posters who have come to the conclusion that many of the problems with Goodman have to do with poor installation or trying to get a system to do something it wasn't made to do. (ie.. a minimally sized unit trying to cool a drafty old Victorian with half a dozen 90 degree angles in the main trunk of the duct work) When I got estimates to have this system installed, I had several contractors bad mouth Goodman. The contractor I used told me he could put in any system I wanted, but if I wanted a Trane or Carrier, the cost would be 1000$ more. I am glad I went with Goodman.

Date created: 2008-07-27 Name: Misty
Location: Mustang, Oklahoma

"Problems!!"
We've had this unit for 4 years. In these 4 years we've had to have freon every summer. During the day it runs non-stop, never shutting off until 2-3 am and during the day it won't cool below 82 degrees!!! We've replaced several compasitors and replaced the fan numerous times. Now this time its the compressor!! May as well buy a new one is what we're being told, problem is.....I can't afford it!!! Stay away from Goodman!!

Date created: 2008-07-22 Name: Thomas E. Rinke
Location: Clearwater, KS

"Cooling coil"
We had a new Goodman A/C & Furnace installed in newly built house in 2002. The A/C had to be recharged several times until it was finally diagnosed that the cooling coil had leaked from day-one. The cooling coil was replaced in 2005 & again in 2008 for the same reason. Both times the parts were covered under warranty and both times the labor cost over $650.00 @ our expense not to mention the numerous expense we had to pay to have the A/C system recharged w/freon. Goodman should pay for the parts and labor on either the first replacement and definitely the second replacement. Totally Dis-satisfied Customer Thomas E. Rinke

Date created: 2008-07-19 Name: Terrell Price

"My life with a Goodman"
I have my Bryant unit replaced with a Goodman and in 15 years I had one service call. I have two other units which I seldom use, both Train and had a service call on one of them after 5 years of operations. I should have had put Goodman units in when I added on to the house, but I had no knowledge of their quality. I do now.

Date created: 2008-07-19 Name: M.Williams
Location: Springfield, OH

"Spend a litttle more Money for a better brand"
Where to start had a Goodman A/C unit with heat pump installed about 3 months ago. This unit is horrible, the service guy has been out 3 times already. It still doesn't work right, not like the old unit we had which was a Lennox. We had the Lennox since 94 so it held up very well. The compressor went out in the Lennox and all the HVAC guys we had come out said it would be better to just get a new unit so we did, being cheap we went with the GM. First off the GM is very loud. You can hear it kick on inside the house and still hear it a little when its running which seems to be all the time as it seems to struggle and run almost nonstop trying to cool the house which it rarely does. We keep the t-stat set at 72 day and 70 at night, a compromise we had to make in order to adjust to the GM, when we had the Lennox it was set 68 day 66 night and it did that with no problem. I donít think the GM is even capable of cooling that low,on really hot days the temp goes up in the house with the t-stat set at 72 it averages about 75 -76 in the house during the day it might finally get to 72 about 1 or 2 in the morning. So we were thinking it's a brand new unit it will be more energy efficient than the Lennox yeah right the first month the bill was $283 wow!!! Thatís the highest our electric bill has ever been we've lived here 14 years, then the next month after adjusting the t-stat which we replaced with a energy star rated one after the first month, it was $274 Iím pretty sure its because the unit runs nonstop thatís why the bill is so high Iím just hoping when winter comes it heats better than it cools probably going to replace it next summer. So spend a little more and get a better brand

Date created: 2008-07-14 Name: Mike Brownlee
Location: Hastings, MI

"Great a/c"
This is the best A/C unit I have ever had. It is very quite and doesn't run allot to cool my house. I have never had a service call and never had it freeze up and quit when it was hot out. Buy a Goodman A/C and have it installed right and you will never have a service call.

Date created: 2008-07-13 Name: J Miller
Location: Arlington, VA

"Buy only if you like constant buzzing"
Two Goodman units were installed next door for a dual system. When these units are on (which is all the time), the outside units emit a high- pitched mechanical buzzing that is driving me nuts. My Carrier unit has absolutely no buzz; just a gentile whirr of the fan. When I am 10 feet from the Carrier unit, and 50 feet from the Goodman units, the Goodman units are louder by far. Stay away!!!!

Date created: 2008-07-13 Name: Don Folk
Location: Surprise, AZ

"Home owner"
I have owned this house sense it was new 9 years ago and I am planning to replace my unit with a Lennox only because I got a good deal on it. The Goodman has held up to the AZ Phoenix summers very well and only recently has the performance gone down and the cost gone up, other than that the unit has performed well. Like some of the techs that have commented, some of you should check out your service companyís before you have them do work for you.

Date created: 2008-07-12 Name: G. Daniels
Location: Charlote, NC

"No Problems with my Goodman"
I have 2 Goodman A/Cís after dumping my Lennox'S. Never had a problem. Great price, great cooling. I am sorry to hear about all the people having problems but maybe you should scrutinize your service companies before condemning Goodmans,