Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN central air conditioners

Read more about GOODMAN central air conditioners

Date created: 2008-08-20 Name: D. Blackwood
Location: Bedford, TX

"Goodman 5 Ton"
One year and 3 months ago, I had a Goodman 5-ton unit installed (both outdoor compressor and indoor furnace/blower). The outdoor compressor is a complete dog. In one year and 3 months, they have had to replace a capacitor (hard start kit) 3 times. Of course, until they can get out to do the work, I have no air conditioning. (The installer does not do warranty work on weekends Ė Ouch.) Also, the outdoor unit is extremely loud. It wakes me up when it starts at night. I can hear the outdoor unit from anywhere in the house. The first thing I told the contractor when I was shopping was that I wanted a quiet unit Ė and look what I got. Iím sick about it. As far as overall operation, I have to keep my thermostat at 79 during the heat of the Texas summer to keep it from running all day (higher when Iím not home). Also, during the winter, my electric bill tripled until I turned the thermostat down to 67 when Iím at home. Damn, thatís cold!!

Date created: 2008-08-19 Name: K Ombs
Location: Dayton, Ohio

"Goodman AC Problems"
I've had this unit in a new condo for 3 years. Each year I've had to have repairs done on the central A/C unit. A/C parts replaced, internal controls,gaskets, etc.. These problems have cost me $$$ and also time to stay with the contractor. I would not recommend anything Goodman makes. I believe the quality of their product is very poor and also cheaply made. The warranty is for parts but not labor right now. So far the parts have been covered by the warranty but soon that will expire then I'll be stuck with an ac unit I'll have to pay both parts and labor on every service call. I've had to have the ac cooling gas taken out and put back in each time that isn't covered by the "parts" warranty. So far this has cost me over $500 extra in just their labor and travel expense time.

Date created: 2008-08-11 Name: N. Simmons
Location: Los Angeles, CA

"Replace condenser after 2 years?!"
Our unit started making a horrible grinding sound and then stopped putting out cold air. The tech said the condenser needs to be replaced, which is covered under warranty; however the labor is not covered. So my barely two year old unit is costing me an additional $600. Ridiculous.

Date created: 2008-08-10 Name: Belinda
Location: Queen Creek, AZ

"Do not buy goodman ac"
Dr Horton built this house in 2007,,I moved in August ....used the A/C in Aug and Sept of 07, and in June of 08,,after using 2 months ,had to replace run cap...now August 9th 08,, the A/C is not running at all...thanks Goodman for maybe 4 months of use...and now I have to pay for everything because there is only 1 yr warranty. Ridiculous.. thanks Dr. Horton for using Goodman products..

Date created: 2008-08-07 Name: John G.
Location: Orlando, FL

"John G"
Do not buy Goodman whatever you do. I bough new AC in 1999, added freon in 2002, replaced coils in 2003, replaced air handler (including coils) in 2005, replaced coils again in 2006. Need new coils now in 2008. It is not the service company as I've used two very reliable companies. Goodman is defective -- don't buy it. .

Date created: 2008-08-06 Name: J Lam
Location: Chicago

"Installed by me and a retired HVAC friend"
Brought unit on EBay. 2.0 ton unit was installed new at seller's home and house sold to contractor to be demo. So unit was not use at all. Had unit running for a year now with no problems at all. Used in a 2nd floor addition with spray foam insulation. Unit set at 78 and the GM does a good job keep it there. Electric bill for 2 AC unit around $100 I would buy another one. I think some the GM problems are mainly related to installation quality and not GM.

Date created: 2008-08-04 Name: Robert Collins

"Bad equipment"
This unit is 1 year old and is a piece of junk. The evaporator coil already has a leak that cannot be repaired. The unit appears to be of very poor quality and I would not recommend one to anyone.

Date created: 2008-08-02 Name: Gary Gray
Location: Cypress, TX

"On its 13th summer in Houston."
I have a dozen year old 3.5 ton Goodman condensing unit. It has been worked to death through all these Houston summers. I had an evaporator coil fail, and a fan motor. This is 10 seer unit. I would blame the fan motor failure on Goodman. The evaporator coil probably failed from a crappy install. The Goodman critics don't understand how important a quality install is.. all these leaking coils are probably from poor routing and soldering of the refrigerant lines and evaporator mountings. Vibration kills copper connections guaranteed. This year I replaced my A/C ducts and improved my attic insulation. I installed a Cool-n-Save mister on the condenser. I have the lowest electric bills in my neighborhood. I used 855kwh last month and we are having a very hot summer this year. This is a 27 year old 1750 sq ft ranch home with single pane windows.

Date created: 2008-07-30 Name: Ron Reiter
Location: Claremont, CA

"Goodman AC Works Great"
I tend to agree with those suggesting that dissatisfaction with Goodman may be largely due to poor installation. We have a weekday house with a 29 year old A/C unit that continues to run without a hitch. And, about a year ago we had a Goodman installed at our weekend place in Palm Springs - - which clearly gives A/C a workout. The Goodman runs flawlessly!! Couldn't be happier with the A/C in both of our homes. It all comes down to proper maintenance and quality technicians.

Date created: 2008-07-29 Name: NM
Location: Charleston, SC

"Homeowner"
I had a Goodman system installed after I bought the house I am living in now. It is now 11.5 years old. I have had two repairs done on it since I had it. The last one was yesterday. Two years ago, lightning came in and burned out the circuit board in the air handling unit in the attic. This had nothing to do with the unit. I lost a computer, ceiling fan, telephone, and dvd player in the same storm. The repair yesterday was from ants building a nest in the switch on the outside compressor unit. They shorted it out. Again, nothing to do with the unit, just plain bad luck. The switch had to be replaced. I have to agree with some of the other posters who have come to the conclusion that many of the problems with Goodman have to do with poor installation or trying to get a system to do something it wasn't made to do. (ie.. a minimally sized unit trying to cool a drafty old Victorian with half a dozen 90 degree angles in the main trunk of the duct work) When I got estimates to have this system installed, I had several contractors bad mouth Goodman. The contractor I used told me he could put in any system I wanted, but if I wanted a Trane or Carrier, the cost would be 1000$ more. I am glad I went with Goodman.