Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN central air conditioners

Read more about GOODMAN central air conditioners

Date created: 2008-11-01 Name: J. D. Smith
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

"Homeowner"
I own 3 and 3 1/2 ton Goodman A/C units which cool my 2600 sq foot home. They are 11 seer, and were installed by the builder's A/C sub when I purchased the home new in 1993. They have been serviced every year, and as I recall each has had a capacitor replaced once, nothing else. I replace the filters every two to three months, and use ones with ratings in the 700 to 1000 range (filters with too high a rating can restrict air flow . . . I've read the min rating should be 600 . . . I suggest checking w/ your service expert for the filter ratings you need). Other than that, they have cooled to our desired temperature, and worked flawlessly during the extreme Arizona summers. Also, I'm not aware of problems any of my neighbors are having with their builder- installed Goodmans. I am aware of three replacements in the immediate neighborhood, all after about twelve years in operation. I don't understand the significant dissatisfaction some posters are having with their units. Sounds like installation problems could be the basis for some of them. Based on 15 years experience, I recommend Goodmans, and am currently in discussions to replace my old units with new 14 seer versions.

Date created: 2008-10-30 Name: JD
Location: Miramar, FL

"REPLACED COILS TWICE! 3 YR OLD UNIT"
Home was built in 2005 and, surprise, the builder installed the Goodman unit. Most likely, one of the cheapest options. I replaced the coils after 1 1/2 years and now have to replace them a second time. The coils are under warranty, but the installation is not, and they really stick it to you! Stay away from Goodman!

Date created: 2008-10-27 Name: R. W. Trusty
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

"HOME OWNER"
As I write this review, I am waiting for a repair man to get the parts needed to repair this piece of garbage for the 21st. time. This unit broke down 3 days after it was installed and befroe today it had broke down 20 times. I called the company several times to try and get the intire unit replaced but they only laughed. It's supposed to be below freezeing tomorrow morning, so, I'm going to pay to get it fixed again for the last time. I'm going to replace this piece of junk with a York. Goodman should be run out of business. Although, I think they are doing that themselves. Worst company ever. ps, the repairman said the company cant find the extended warrenty I paid for even though I have a receipt. Thats Goodman for you. never again

Date created: 2008-10-26 Name: C Hooper
Location: Fairview, TX

"Its all in the Installation and planning, Goodman makes quality AC units"
I had a GE/Trane gas heating unit and a Lennox outdoor unit that was installed in 1985. I decided to update the home and after getting quotes ranging from $8500 to $12,500 for Trane units (stay away from Home Depot) I had 3 friends in the A/C industry reluctantly persuade me to look at Goodman. I had a 3 ton unit and furnace installed into my home and I am extremely happy. It keeps our home more comfortable and the utility cost has been reduced. Bottom line is if you’re A/C service rep does not do a load calculation on your home before he suggests a tonnage, then run. This has to be done in order to accurately see what size your unit should be. There are many factors such as return air, insulation, etc when factoring in what size should be used. Also your installation should not be cheaply done. It does not matter if you install Trane, Goodman, Carrier, etc. if the install is poor and cheaply done, your unit will not last. Investigate your service company that is doing the install. If they use duct board for air boxes, then also run. I am very pleased with the warranty that Goodman offers, no one else in the business comes close, and just for the record there are only 3 A/C compressor companies in the world and all of the manufacturers buy their products from these three, so most of the parts are the same. Trane makes you buy only Trane to charge you more and only gives you a 10 year warranty. Make sure your unit is serviced on a schedule as well, this will ensure long life and catch any problems before they become major malfunctions.

Date created: 2008-10-17 Name: I.Schweickart
Location: New Bern, North Carolina

"Costly Mistake"
Goodman came with our newly built home, ran constantly, causing very high electricity bills. After nine months, the unit broke down. It turned out to be a relay, then 2 months later, it started freezing. Service tech says that its because we have expensive filters which cause the unit to run harder. Here it is another friday night and the unit is frozen again. If you see a Goodman, run the other way.

Date created: 2008-09-17 Name: Jim M.
Location: Beaverton, Or.

"I Wish I Had Bought These Units Years Ago!"
I recently had a Goodman gas furnace and Central air conditioning unit installed in my home. I immediately saw a 50% reduction in my heating bill over my old, and I do mean OLD Carrier furnace which didn't keep the whole house warm. The Goodman furnace not only costs a whole lot less to run, it keeps the whole house at and even, comfortable temperature. As for the 3 ton A/C?..All I can say is WOW!... It runs very quietly and efficiently. We have had one of the longest, hottest summers here in the Northwest, with temps. in the 104 degree area for days at a time and my 1,800 square foot home stay at a comfortable 72 degrees. The unit only kicks on about 2 times and hour and runs for approx. 15 mins. each time. I am very satisfied!!!

Date created: 2008-09-02 Name: Vinnie
Location: Florida

""Be cool" stay away from GOODMAN!!!!!!!!"
I have a 3 ton unit that can't cool 1000 square foot of living space. Glidden A/C in Saint Pete, FL sold me and installed this non heat pump unit with new ducting (I didn't need a heat pump)or so they said. This unit runs 24/7, the house at 1300hrs is in the mid 80's while the unit is set at 73. Glidden does not have an answer. I am currently searching out a competent A/C company to assist me. Oh by the way, the warranty is over. Surprise.

Date created: 2008-08-29 Name: Greg Robinson
Location: Bakersfield, California

"Great System"
I purchased a split Goodman system this year. I have used my master cool for the past 15 years the house is completely ducted, and was built in 1935. It has a forced air furnace that was 46 years old (Day & Night) I replaced the furnace with an 80% AFUE Goodman furnace, put a Goodman 4 ton coil on top pf it, then installed a 3 ton r410a 14 seer system for a/c we insulated the duct work in the attic, our home is now at 74 degrees all the time, and our utility bill had gone down this is amazing that an a/c unit can pull less electricity than a cooler Very Happy!!!! I recommend this to everyone who is shopping for A/C.

Date created: 2008-08-27 Name: Carol Todd
Location: Billings, Montana

"Jon and carol todd"
We bought A/C on advice of company owner. Unit has been "serviced" over 6 times in the last year since we bought it. Also, got suckered into buying a Goodman furnace at the same time. It has been worked on twice already, too. The A/C has lost the coolant 5 times already, with no end in site. Several parts have already been replaced on the unit, again, probably since the installer warranty has run out. Not impressive by any standards. Yes, we are bitter since the installer said this is one of best on market. So what are the loser units????????????????

Date created: 2008-08-27 Name: L Milani
Location: Dallas, TX

"NEVER BUY GOODMAN!"
I had only had the Goodman A/C and heater/blower fan in my brand newly built house for 2 months before my heat went out..on thanksgiving day with family in town, and one of three days it iced/snowed in Dallas. They replaced my blower fan, and replaced all the wires in the electrical system, and then another month later, they had to do it all over again. now, it has been 9 months that I have had this brand new unit, and they have made 11 service calls on my A/C compressor. They finally decided after installing a cellanoid, replacing freon, fixing coils, and everything else, that the entire unit is a lemon and they are coming this afternoon to fix it. I have 5 pets that live with me and each time the A/C goes out, I have to take them to my parents house. It's 89 degrees in here now, and I am hating Goodman!