Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN central air conditioners

Read more about GOODMAN central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-05-26 Name: Bob Stebbins

"No problems with Goodman units"
Our company has installed nearly 1,000 Goodman ac units over the past five years and I have to say, that as the lead service tech for our company, I see fewer problems with Goodman systems than any other. I have to question all these comments about coils being replaced due to refrigerant leaks....I've NEVER come across this issue on ANY of the Goodman systems we have installed. Yet I have runs across leaks on systems OTHERS have installed, not just Goodman, but Trane, Carrier, Lennox and others. In almost EVERY case, this is NOT a defective coil, but a leak due to POOR installation. I believe what is occuring here in most these cases is that the original installing company did a poor job of brazing the coil during installation, then just to cover their as****, they blame it on the coil not only to keep themselves off the hook but also to charge the customer additional (and unnecessary) repair charges. I would put Goodman up against ANY other brand on the market....if it's installed by a PRO it WILL perform like a PRO! It it's installed by a low-bidding HACK, it will break down and perform below standards. Once again, you get what you pay for. Go with the LOW BID and chances increase you will have issues, NO MATTER what the brand installed is. And just for the record, I HAVE seen legitimate coil leaks on several TRANE evaporator coils, NOT due to workmanship but actually weak joints from the factory.

Date created: 2009-05-26 Name: C.K.

"Goodman AC"
I purchased a new home, bascially watched them built it from the ground up. Was told the Goodman unit was the best and the particular one I was getting would cool upstairs and down stairs. Up stairs is still pretty warmed. Was later told this is to be expected. Now the unit does not cool at all. Now I'm being told it may cost me 350-500, to a leak test and put additional freon. Talked with a few neighboors and they are having the same problem. Call Goodman and the young lady was not helping and said "Well". Having said all of this, I also found out that companies are not recommending goodman because they had to replaced them and they're waiting to see what the outcome is. I had a relative put a new ac in her home and they would not put in a Goodman, because of the issues they have had. If I'm not mistaken, janitrol was bought by Goodman and they did not have a good reputation. Could it be they are passing out old janitrol as GOODMAN...even though they are Goodman now?

Date created: 2009-05-25 Name: Mike M

"Freon leaks....."
These freon leaks are not because of faulty equipment, but due to shoddy installation. This is not Goodmans fault.....your contractor that installed the system did a poor job of brazing the unit in and obviously did not leak check their work before charging the system with refrigerant. No manufacturer's warranty will cover a poor installation job. And your contractor is probably telling you the coil is leaking just to cover their own ineptitude. My company has installed over 1000 Goodman ac units over the past three years with not one single incident of a refrigerant leak! What does that tell you? Hire a quality installer and you will not experience any problems. Hire a hack and you will have problems with any system, including Lennox, Bryant, Trane, Carrier or any brand! It's not so much the quality of the product, but it is the quality of the installation.

Date created: 2009-05-18 Name: J. Gibson

"Two-Year-Old Goodman Central Air Conditioner"
I could have written Charlotte's review! Our air conditioning system is only two years old, and a repairman had to add four pounds of freon because of a leak in the coil! It cost $95 for that, and the labor for replacing the coil is going to be $545! That's outrageous. We lived in our last home 28 years and never had a problem like that. We replaced our unit once, but that was after many, many years.

Date created: 2009-05-12 Name: Jac Tom

"Never buy GoodMan... Should be named Badman.."
Every year this crap leaks freon and I have 10 years warranty which wont cover freon leaks... Even thou I went thru an authorized dealer. I actually went for Goodman becoz of this 10 year warranty and labour. Please dont consider that when u buy an A/c.. Buy something reputed like Trane, Carrier or York..

Date created: 2009-05-10 Name: Charlotte

"Don't Buy One!!!"
We bought the Goodman ac/gas furnace 2 years ago. The furnace works great. As far as the ac unit it started to freeze up after 2 years of use. We called the repair person, its low on freon and the coil has a leak! There trying to blame it on our well water. Saying we need to get a aerator for our well. But the ac unit that we had for 8 years before that worked great until the last year. I think it's the until from all the vibration, Because Its So loud. The vibration causes the coil to rub against other parts, meaning the coil will eventually have a leak. I would not buy another Goodman or recommend it to anyone!!!!

Date created: 2009-05-10 Name: Sharon F

"Goodman A/C unit new construction"
The fan motor has been replaced two times in the life of my unit. Last night, the fan on the compressor went. We have had numerous service calls. The warranty apparently covers nothing - because I always end up paying.

Date created: 2009-05-09 Name: Roy Mainville

"Don't buy Goodman"
This Goodman Model capf4860d6aa wasn't cooling the house at all and it was only used for 2 months at the end of last summer. We were told that there was a coolant leak. The technician then found that the coil needed to be replaced. With all the reviews that I've read on this site I would almost bet that this won't be the last time! We didn't research this unit enough because we trusted our plumber to sell us a good product and now we're paying the price. My suggestion is to pay a few hundred more dollars and buy a Trane or another reputable make!

Date created: 2009-05-05 Name: Y. Candiotti

"Completely satisfied"
Our Goodman ac was installed in June 2003 and has been completely dependable. We have routine service performed every year. We have not had any breakdowns nor does it have any problems keeping us cool even on the hottest days of the year. We are very pleased with our system.

Date created: 2009-04-14 Name: GOODMAN
Location: MN

"Great Goodman Product"
The Goodman System installed in our house has worked great even in mn. I was a little concerned because the unit was priced very competitively but with a 10 year parts warranty how could I go wrong. It has been a very good system and they keep the cost down by not advertising and hiring ex ball players to sell the brand. I will by another Goodman system when I move.