Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN central air conditioners

Read more about GOODMAN central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-06-24 Name: Russell Corrigan

"Attn Anita"
Anita, from your description it sounds as though your evaporator coil is freezing up. It's possible the installers put in the incorrect size unit and/or your lacking proper airflow from the indoor air handler (furnace?). Coil freezing can be caused by several things, including insufficient air flow (dirty filters, undersized blower, duct size), improper refrigerant charge, etc. Sounds like they need to conduct a more dillegent diagnostic...right now it just sounds like they're changing parts and "hoping" to solve the problem. Again, sadly, I hope you didn't just go with the low bidder to save money. I'd bet your problem lies with the installation, not the equipment.

Date created: 2009-06-22 Name: J Cowan

"Just a tip on leaks..."
When my contractor installed my 3 units for my home..he used a complete coil od copper tubing for each unit. He told me he didnt want any repairs or connections in the walls or attic. He went into detail of all the leaks he has had to repair behind other contractors that didnt want to toss out "cut offs" left over from tubing coils.

Date created: 2009-06-22 Name: BJarrett

"Would not recommend this heat pump to anyone"
We moved into a brand new house with a Goodman unit for our upstairs and downstairs. The air conditioning froze up once last year and I had to have it repaired. This year the unit has stopped blowing cold air in my upstairs unit and now the downstairs unit is not cooling. When the heating unit is running and stops, it sounds like someone is beating it with a sledgehammer. Absolutely do not buy this piece of equipment regardless of how much money you same.

Date created: 2009-06-20 Name: Lynn G

"Broken after 16 days!!!!"
This ac is a the worst!!!!!!!!! Our unit died today after only 16 days! It is 90 degrees here and the outside fan died today. Our trusted hvac guy (of many years) highly recommended Goodman. Says he puts them in all the time and has few problems. This was to replace a Trane that finally died after 22 years that gave us very few problems. I am so sorry I did not replace with another Trane unit! Do not buy goodman.

Date created: 2009-06-18 Name: Anita

"Goodman A/C unit won't shut off"
We had a Goodman 2-1/2 ton, 30,000 btu central air unit installed as a replacement to a Trane a/c in May 2008. The problem began right away, it won't shut off. We have a 2200 sq. ft ranch home and it cools the house but takes a very long time to reach the temp set on the thermostat. We've had 3 programmable thermostats (2 courtesy of our installers) thinking they could be faulty but that didn't solve the problem. The unit runs 2 to 3 hours non-stop before shutting down briefly and that doubled our electric bills last summer over what it cost us to run the Trane unit. Our installers have been dilligent trying to solve the issue including extending the labor warranty for an extra year, which we appreciate. I've just turned the unit on for the first time this season and the house was at 80 degrees, it's been running for almost 3 hours without shutting down and the temp in the house is just at 75, the thermostat is set at 74. Even when the house reaches 74 it doesn't shut off. They installed a larger coil at the end of the season last year hoping it would solve the problem....no luck, it still doing the same thing. The fan seems to slow down after a time and not push with the velocity it starts out with. I have a feeling this unit has a problem that can't be resolved and should be replaced. I'm sure my installers won't be happy to get my call tomorrow.

Date created: 2009-06-17 Name: Angie O.

"Already a Problem!"
Had my Goodman Central air installed one year ago this month. First hot day and it won't cool the house. Repairman coming tomorrow. Notice that most do come to this site to complain, but Goodman has the most reviews, around 100 more than other brands.

Date created: 2009-06-16 Name: S. Barry

"Just dying after 18 years"
I can't complain- I've had cars that cost a lot more and lasted far less yers! I had this gas heating/electrical cooling unit installed 18 years ago! Sure it is a bit large, but shrubs have done a great job to hide it. I added a room over the garage several years ago, and with a booster fan it cooled even that new room just great. The last time I had the service man come was in November 2005! I certainly got my money's worth and will get another Goodman unit. I'm not paying for all the ads for Trane or other high priced units. My friends have had more problems with those units than I have. Good point about who installs the unit. I've used a reputable family owned company and never had any problems with them.

Date created: 2009-06-07 Name: John Holmes

"Low end equipment"
So what the posters on here that have been defending Goodman equipment are saying is that every leak in a Goodman coil is caused by poor installation and not due to the fact that the product may have a flaw or be cheap? I have a friend in the hvac business who refuses to use Goodman equipment due to the fact that it is far inferior to other equipment on the market. People when you buy an a/c system for your home Goodman will usually be the cheapest bid you will get and that's not due to poor installation......it's cheap, you get what you pay for so remember that.

Date created: 2009-06-02 Name: Raymond Carlye

"No complaints at all"
I guess after reading some of these comments I have to agree with the ones regarding the installation. We had a Bryant ac installed in our previous home (by the lowest bidder) and it leaked freon out every year. When we bought our current home about 4 years ago, we had a Goodman unit installed and we have had no problems whatsoever. It has kept our home very comfortable even on the hottest days and we have never had to add freon. And by the way, having learned our lesson, we did not go with the lowest price this time.

Date created: 2009-06-01 Name: G. Duhe

"Leaker"
I had a 3 ton Goodman unit installed at my residence. The unit had a slow leak that could not be located from day one. r-22 was added every 3-4 months. The speed of the leak increased and I began to notice an oily film adhering to the condenser coil. Sure enough, that was where the leak was, at the top of the coil where the "u" shaped copper was brazed at the factory into the coil itself. Had to pay for a coil installation labor though the coil was free. I will not buy this product again.