Consumer Reviews of Goodman central air conditioners

Read more about Goodman central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-08-04 Name: m. will
Location: AZ

"Satisfied so far..."
Actually, we have owned this goodman 5 ton split unit for 2 months. It replaced a 15 year old ruud. I just got my second air conditioning bill since it was installed, and it looks like we are consistantly saving around $2.50 a day compared to last year, even though the average daily temp last month was 4 degrees higher and the cost per kWh is higher than last July! The gentleman who installed the unit suggested that we run our fan constantly, which seems to make the whole house more comfortable, even while maintaining the temperature at 82 during the hot az daytime hours. He said that the new blower is much more efficient than the old one and uses a lot less energy to run. One thing that sold us on the Goodman is that they were one of the few manufacturers that made a 5 ton split unit that qualified for the federal tax rebate. None of the other big names had a current 5 ton unit out that did (all were discontinued??), which was a huge factor in our decision. My advice is to get the model number of the units you are having installed before you commit, and look them up on ahridirectory.org to make sure they qualify for the federal energy credit. This step could save you a good chunk of change come tax time.

Date created: 2009-08-04 Name: Dustin

"An ode to reliability"
Been doing hvac for 20 years. I'm a technology instructor, maintain a valid contractors license and company. Education is key. That being said yes 50% of Goodmans problems are poor installations. Because cash is king they make more if they can slap in these inexpensive units really fast to underbid the competition. I have seen some goodmans run fine for 7 years. Never seen one last 10 years. First the evaporator will rust. Have seen that as early as 2 years. Causing pin hole leaks. Losing refrigerant, is a double bladed knife. It's expensive and it's hard on your compressor. I've replaced an evaporator and after evacuation and recharge had compressors lock up. You get what you pay for and unfortunately the quality of these units are poor at best. Sure you might get lucky. But you won't save any money. Cheap install high repair bills. It's a bad situation.

Date created: 2009-08-03 Name: ABrenneman

"DO NOT BUY THIS COMPANY"
Nothing but problems. and their warranty is but nonexistant. have had issues with the heater blower, the timing modules, the heat exchanger, and the ac, the coils had a leak, the compressor has broke. This is not an old system but only through one summer and two winter installed 1/08

Date created: 2009-08-02 Name: W. Bierwas

"Goodman = Garbage"
Worst product and product support of anything that I have ever purchased. My two month old, 3 ton Goodman condenser unit can be heard for throughout my entire neighborhood. I have had my service tech here three times now to try and quiet it down and it can't be fixed. Goodman won't replace it because it is still working. stay away from goodman. I have called Goodman numerous times, e-mailed them with audio/video files of the noise and they ignore me.

Date created: 2009-07-30 Name: B. HAINES

"GOODMAN AIR CONDITIONERS"
I have a new home with three goodman units in it. all three are always broke and it is not a result of the installation. all are manufacture defects. low quality parts and workmanship. will not ever buy this brand again. I will have them replaced when the warranty expires.

Date created: 2009-07-29 Name: Pat Harris

"Found out whats wrong with unit"
I left a feedback earlier and was very dissatisfied with our unit but have found out that the company that put it in didn't install correctly and all out cool air was cooling under the house so it wasn't the units problem it was sorry installation by someone that didn't care how it was installed.

Date created: 2009-07-28 Name: Bo A.

"Installer"
Many ac problems are with the installers. every brand of ac units has had some problems due to mfg issues, moving mfg to Mexico, electronic issues etc. But overall Goodman has made major strides in their product reliability. Most problems we see in the field are from poor installation & we it on all brands as well - Trane, Carrier, Goodman, etc.

Date created: 2009-07-24 Name: Sherilyn Taylor

"Sheri in Houston"
Not at all satisfied with this junk heap it gave out in the middle of the heat wave and now after having freon put in it 3 times in 1 1/2 mos. the compressor is being replaced should still be under warranty customer service dept is terrible and no help at all. I'm getting a trane asap!

Date created: 2009-07-22 Name: Alison H.

"A complete piece of JUNK!"
We had a brand-new house built and Goodman's air conditioner was installed by the builder. All was great for the first year. Then all of a sudden the upstairs air conditioner would not blow cold air, so we had it checked. Freon added. About a year later, the same problem. More freon added. They checked for a leak and there wasn't one. 3 weeks later the stupid thing only blew warm air. The coils were frozen so we had to thaw it out for 24 hrs before the guy could come back (and it was 85 degrees in the house- miserable). When the ac guy checked the unit, it needed 2 pounds of freon. This caused him to check the coils, and it turns out they were bad. We had to wait a month for the new coils to come in and pray the freon didn't run out again before the coils could be replaced. So far we've been running the upstairs air conditioner as little as possible and the coil is being replaced tomorrow. They will have to add more freon..AGAIN. I found out that many of the units in my neighborhood are having the exact same problem, but Goodman refuses to accept that it is the quality of their product. So, our builder is taking the responsibility of the cost and paying all charges since they don't want to make it the homeowner's responsibility. Good thing, because I am told the cost is close to $700. DON'T buy a Goodman unit and pay more for a better (and more reliable) AC system if you can!! PS: This is for our upstairs unit right now, but we are being told the same thing will probably happen for our downstairs unit. It's not a matter of if, but WHEN.

Date created: 2009-07-20 Name: Greg

"AHU Variable Speed"
Had a Goodman installed last week, so far so good. My only concern is the variable speed ahu. Seems to blow very hard in the "on" position, reaches the set temp, slows down to almost 0, then blows hard again a short time later. Needless to say this is very distracting and wakes us at night. Hope the installer can fix the situation.