Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN central air conditioners

Read more about GOODMAN central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-08-11 Name: scott s.

"Goodman A/C poor"
Less than 2 years, evap coil is leaking. Avoid this manufacturer

Date created: 2009-08-11 Name: Marc J
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Lasted 12 Years"
My Goodman compressor made it 12 years from the installation date before grounding out this summer. I live in Phoenix az where an ac unit gets a workout all summer and runs up to 8 months a year. On top of that, the unit was cooling a 1500 sq ft mobile home which tend to leak a lot of air due to the nature of their construction and the vents running under the house. It was a 3.5 ton compressor on a "4 ton" system. I have lived in the house for 4 years and performed only routine maintenance. Can't comment on what upkeep was performed prior. I think 12 years is admirable in this environment. The evaporator coil is still in good shape according to the tech who installed the new compressor unit. I decided to stay with a Goodman (4 Ton, 13 seer, with Copeland scroll compressor) since it was a good price and matched right up with the coil (sure there were other options). I made sure to find a quality installer first, then discussed replacement costs (and then obtained a second estimate). The warranty is 10 years on the new compressor, so it should outlast my time in this mobile before I build a permanent home. According to the tech, if I had replaced the start cap (swollen top) at the beginning of this season it might have made it through the summer and who knows how long after. In summary, I agree that the quality of the installation is likely the most significant factor to whether or not these Goodmans last. The new install appeared very professional - nitrogen flush, vacuum, appropriate copper solder, correct piston installed, etc. I will report back on the new unit in the future.

Date created: 2009-08-10 Name: m burton

"Noise"
This unit makes so must noise I have to turn the volumne up on the tv and still cant hear when this thing runs. I will turn it off when I can because its so loud. Its the most annoying piece of crap!!! Some nights I shut it off because its so loud it keeps me awake. Pay the extra and buy a good brand, in this case you get what you pay for

Date created: 2009-08-10 Name: K Martin

"KM"
Crap in the largest sense of the word. On our third coil, told for 3 years nothing's wrong with the unit (we though all along an a/c should cool the house...), had service folks charge, check, replace, and repeat....now the compressor is bad. Will never even consider Goodmans again, if we buy new the first thing that will be changed is the a/c if it's Goodmans. Even got a warranty extension after coil #3, but that wound up covering dick. Don't waste your time or money, get soemthing else.

Date created: 2009-08-06 Name: Ken Maricle

"My Goodman is Great, man!"
I had a complete system installed...80% efficiency furnace and ac compressor. I had a long-time reputable Tulsa ac contractor install it. The total price for unit and installation was 10-15% lower than other brands. My other unit is a Trane and I can't tell the difference between the Trane and the Goodman except paint job.

Date created: 2009-08-05 Name: Andrew Levine

"Goodman review"
I installed a unit in April 09. The unit started to fail in June 09. The installer put in puron several times. Consequently replaced the inside coil and now says there is a gross failure in the outside unit. Fortunatly I am still under full warranty. I have had about 10 working days of air with this unit since installed. If you buy a Goodman also buy a whole house fan. You will need it!!!

Date created: 2009-08-04 Name: M. Garrett

"Very Dissatisfied"
We had our air conditioner unit installed two summers ago and it has never really worked properly. Today I came home to a thermostat set at 72 degrees and it is 80 degrees in our house. We have made numerous calls to the installer since it was installed and it is always something different as to why it is not working properly. I feel like a new product should work, that's it. You install it and it should work. I would not recommend buying this product at all. Please don't you will be out of a lot of money. I placed a call to the manufacturer to see if I have any recourse, but I am not very hopeful.

Date created: 2009-08-04 Name: m. will
Location: AZ

"Satisfied so far..."
Actually, we have owned this goodman 5 ton split unit for 2 months. It replaced a 15 year old ruud. I just got my second air conditioning bill since it was installed, and it looks like we are consistantly saving around $2.50 a day compared to last year, even though the average daily temp last month was 4 degrees higher and the cost per kWh is higher than last July! The gentleman who installed the unit suggested that we run our fan constantly, which seems to make the whole house more comfortable, even while maintaining the temperature at 82 during the hot az daytime hours. He said that the new blower is much more efficient than the old one and uses a lot less energy to run. One thing that sold us on the Goodman is that they were one of the few manufacturers that made a 5 ton split unit that qualified for the federal tax rebate. None of the other big names had a current 5 ton unit out that did (all were discontinued??), which was a huge factor in our decision. My advice is to get the model number of the units you are having installed before you commit, and look them up on ahridirectory.org to make sure they qualify for the federal energy credit. This step could save you a good chunk of change come tax time.

Date created: 2009-08-04 Name: Dustin

"An ode to reliability"
Been doing hvac for 20 years. I'm a technology instructor, maintain a valid contractors license and company. Education is key. That being said yes 50% of Goodmans problems are poor installations. Because cash is king they make more if they can slap in these inexpensive units really fast to underbid the competition. I have seen some goodmans run fine for 7 years. Never seen one last 10 years. First the evaporator will rust. Have seen that as early as 2 years. Causing pin hole leaks. Losing refrigerant, is a double bladed knife. It's expensive and it's hard on your compressor. I've replaced an evaporator and after evacuation and recharge had compressors lock up. You get what you pay for and unfortunately the quality of these units are poor at best. Sure you might get lucky. But you won't save any money. Cheap install high repair bills. It's a bad situation.

Date created: 2009-08-03 Name: ABrenneman

"DO NOT BUY THIS COMPANY"
Nothing but problems. and their warranty is but nonexistant. have had issues with the heater blower, the timing modules, the heat exchanger, and the ac, the coils had a leak, the compressor has broke. This is not an old system but only through one summer and two winter installed 1/08