Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN central air conditioners

Read more about GOODMAN central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-09-04 Name: JR
Location: Florida

I have a 3 1/2 ton Goodman air handler placed in new construction 1/04. After two years I had to replace the evaporator coil, which, thankfully, was under warranty. Well, the warranty ran out in 1/09. I had it replenished with freon 2 months ago and now I am without cool air once again. The air handler needs replaced, but as one knows, you should replace the compressor at the same time; particularly because the specs are changing in 2010. I am dumbfounded that an ac unit would not last longer than 5 years. I have neighbors with the same issues. The unit hangs horizontal in the garage. I live in Florida. I don't know if this contributes to the problems.

Date created: 2009-08-22 Name: R.F.Jarrell

"Big waste of $2500.00"
After three years three service call one to adjust the gas pressure.two for gassing up.now two weeks later,after $600.00 needs more gas.biggest piece of shit ever bought. going to lawery monday.8-22-09

Date created: 2009-08-20 Name: Doug

"2 Year Old Leaker"
Just finished paying off our home loan on $6000 2 year old unitunit. Also just paid 130 to have our feon leaking Goodman recharged.

Date created: 2009-08-19 Name: Doug Jester

"Goodman Coil Leaks 1 Year Old"
1 1/2 years I just paid Williamson to charge my leaking Goodman after paying 6000 for it. Sucks

Date created: 2009-08-19 Name: mike garone

"Fan vibrates may cause motor failure??"
Fan vibrates may cause motor to fail...

Date created: 2009-08-16 Name: Jill

"Goodman Central air unit"
I owned a Goodman Central Air conditioner for 16 years. I would run it for about 5 months out of the year.I Have never had any problems with it. I now need to replace it and I will buy another Goodman! I extremely satisfied.

Date created: 2009-08-14 Name: B.G.

"Not Sure what to think yet"
Just moved into a new house and the ac is plowing through electricity like its going out of style. 5 days of use on a 13 seer unit and $100 later I called the install company to come out and take a look. There is no reasonable explanantion other than bad install for this level of usage. All the boards I have read and experts I have spoken to say that this system should be using half the electricty it is using at worst. I hope the issue is resolved soon, the home is 1 month old and I am not looking forward to a $500+ electric bill. Just in case you are wondering, I unplugged all unnecessary appliances and turned everything else off in the house and then turned on one of the two ac units and watched the meter spin away at a pace of 10+ kW/h, this is not normal.

Date created: 2009-08-13 Name: Simon

"Typical problems"
Interesting to read all the reviews of the Goodman AC'S. First, we hav enever had any problems with our ac unit. and it was installed 100% correctly. The common problems with leaking is due to poorly educated installers uding flux when soldering (won't hold in freon), not installing proper raises on lines (required when hight difference btwn condensor and evaporator), not installing drain lines correctly and home owners not maintaining them (this will cause coil to rust/corrode). Goodman coils are made of copper lines and galvanized plates (same as all other brands). Do yourself a big favor no matter what system you are having installed or serviced. Download the installation instructions for each of our units - letter by letter - and go over the installation instructions with your installer / service guy. make them do things right and you will not have problems with leaking, etc. Btw: Goodman AC's use the same Copeland Scroll compressor as most other (more expensive) brands. So if Goodman compressor is poor, so is a Trane, Carrier, Lennox, etc since it sthe same components. Watch out for shady installers/service guys - they can easily butcher an install/service to make sure there is more work for them 3-6 months down the line (like soldering with standard tin as used for water pipes - it must be silver blend and no use of flux - just watch "pro installer" videos on YouTube and you'll see many use flux - amazing. glta

Date created: 2009-08-11 Name: scott s.

"Goodman A/C poor"
Less than 2 years, evap coil is leaking. Avoid this manufacturer

Date created: 2009-08-11 Name: Marc J
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Lasted 12 Years"
My Goodman compressor made it 12 years from the installation date before grounding out this summer. I live in Phoenix az where an ac unit gets a workout all summer and runs up to 8 months a year. On top of that, the unit was cooling a 1500 sq ft mobile home which tend to leak a lot of air due to the nature of their construction and the vents running under the house. It was a 3.5 ton compressor on a "4 ton" system. I have lived in the house for 4 years and performed only routine maintenance. Can't comment on what upkeep was performed prior. I think 12 years is admirable in this environment. The evaporator coil is still in good shape according to the tech who installed the new compressor unit. I decided to stay with a Goodman (4 Ton, 13 seer, with Copeland scroll compressor) since it was a good price and matched right up with the coil (sure there were other options). I made sure to find a quality installer first, then discussed replacement costs (and then obtained a second estimate). The warranty is 10 years on the new compressor, so it should outlast my time in this mobile before I build a permanent home. According to the tech, if I had replaced the start cap (swollen top) at the beginning of this season it might have made it through the summer and who knows how long after. In summary, I agree that the quality of the installation is likely the most significant factor to whether or not these Goodmans last. The new install appeared very professional - nitrogen flush, vacuum, appropriate copper solder, correct piston installed, etc. I will report back on the new unit in the future.