Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN central air conditioners

Read more about GOODMAN central air conditioners

Date created: 2011-05-14 Name: Eva Browning
Location: Reston, VA

"Goodman AC - Planned Obsolescence?"
My new Goodman AC unit, less than 3 years old, wouldn't turn on this spring when the weather warmed up. I wasn't overly concerned because I knew that it was still under warranty. The repairman said that the problem was a bad valve that had allowed the freon to leak out and that it needed to be replaced. While the valve was still under warrentee, the house call, diagnostics, freon refill and repair were not covered. I don't kow how much the valve cost, but the other charges came to $1200 out of pocket for a unit that was three years old. Do you hoemwork, consumers. Don't allow your ac installer to chose the brand of equipment for you. And take my advise and don't even consider buying a Goodman.

Date created: 2011-05-12 Name: matt
Location: brentwood, tn

"Goodman JUNK"
We installed 3 Goodman units / the 4.5 ton is constantly freezing up. We've had our AC installer look at it 4 times. First time he looked at it, the return filter was too high end. You need to use the cheapest filter or the condenser freezes. 2nd time it was 1 lb light on coolant. Now, the compressor kicks on and off. Cools than freezes. What a piece of JUNK! Save your self the hassle, Don't buy Goodman. We have had 5 different problems with this unit in a year. Oh yeah, a wire on the unit melted also and shut it down.

Date created: 2011-05-11 Name: Shirley R. Beard
Location: Evensville, Tennessee

"Goodmans warranty stinks"
We had a new Goodman Heating & Air Unit Installed in 2009. When we started it up this year 2011/// the air would not cool. I find out that the great 10 year warranty only cover parts. I was not told this or that after a year I had to buy an extended warranty. I just paid 450.00 to have the unit repaired. They only paid for the Evaporator coil that had gone bad after 1 years use. I had to pay 150.00 freight to have the part shipped, plus they charged me 50.00 because the crook that installed it would not come out. Plus I had to pay labor and OVER 100.00 for Freon even though the part caused the freon to leak out. Buyers Beware!!!! You may as well not have a warranty. Any company should fix a unit the second year you have it. To heck with warranties, just be an honest company and do what's right. Wish I had read the reviews before I bought. Hope this keeps someone else from making the same mistake.

Date created: 2011-05-11 Name: David C
Location: Jonesboro, GA

"Leaks Freon"
Began leaking freon a year after installation. When charged, however, cools great in summer and furnace is very good. Outside unit is fairly quiet. I've read a lot of reviews here stating same freon leak problem. I don't think a leaking evaporator coil is an installer problem as a few have suggested. The coil is not installed by a contractor when buying a complete HVAC unit like I did.

Date created: 2011-05-06 Name: M. Allen
Location: Greenville, SC

"Better Business Bureau In Houston, Texas Will Help"
Goodman's customer service is terrible. My coil has leaked for over three years and they would not return my request for a supervisor to call me. I emailed the Better Business Bureau in Houston, Texas and got immediate email replies from the supervisors. They will take care of you if you go through the BBB. These companies have to know what we want and expect good products and service!!

Date created: 2011-05-05 Name: d. Tonsberg
Location: missouri city tx

"Heat pump"
I have 3 5 ton units in my house 2 are okay but the 3rd i have spent over 2400.00 on labor they are 3 years old and when i called goodman relations they gave me the old heave ho and said call another service person. I am going to trane.

Date created: 2011-04-30 Name: D. Thomas
Location: Tucson

"Reliable Air Conditioner"
I have owned a Goodman central AC for over nine years without any trouble. I have the unit serviced at the beginning of every season and I keep it clean and debris free. I am purchasing a new home and I need to replace the existing Carrier which is not working. I have had such good success with Goodman that I decided not to even shop around. I am in the process of hiring an A/C contractor currently.

Date created: 2011-04-27 Name: DUANE MILLS
Location: MILFORD NJ

"CENTRAL AIR"
HAD FOR 4 YAERS ,BROKE DOWN AND LEAKED FREON TWICE A YEAR FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS, TOTAL PIECE OF JUNK WOULD NOT RECOMEND

Date created: 2011-04-26 Name: Michael R.
Location: Humble, TX

"Never again"
Replaced my 13 year old American Standard with the same size Goodman (inside and outside units). It cannot cool my house. Even the old failing American Standard could cool the house down. They put in a larger compressor. Then an additional return air vent. It still can't cool the house when the temperature is above 90F. It froze up over the weekend, so apparently the coolant is low. Same problem last year. This thing is only 2 years old!!! It does have a 10 year warranty so the leaks will be fixed. But even if they fix the leaks, it still can't cool the house on warm days...and the warranty doesn't cover that. They say "it is working according to specifications." I will investigate the cost to upgrade to another brand.

Date created: 2011-04-19 Name: S Kennedy
Location: Pensacola, FL

"Will NEVER buy again or recommend"
I purchased and had a Goodman unit installed in 2005. I replaced both the outside and inside units with Goodman. Fortunately I have a 10 year warranty. Each year since purchased it has failed. Some years just maintenance required. Other repairs needed, a capacitor, a circuit board (thought my house was on fire with that one), the fan (a blade came loose and was knocking)and this year we are replacing the coils. I have been informed by my AC guy this is becoming a big issue with these units. Labor is not covered under the warranty so you have to cover that.