Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN central air conditioners

Read more about GOODMAN central air conditioners

Date created: 2011-05-31 Name: Lisa Taylor
Location: Indiana

"Goodman AKA Junkitrol"
I purchased the AC unit w/Furnace 5 years ago. When I purchased these, I told the dealer I wanted a med priced unit, but absolutely no Janitrol or aka Junkitrol. The Goodman units were installed, and I went online and found it is the same as a Junkitrol.. I was furious!! The business that sold me the units closed, and I couldn't find the guy who installed them...first year the furnace broke down... every year, I call out a repairman for the furnace...it is always something. I do not like AC, and only use it when it is extremely hot... I prefer fresh blowing breezes any day over AC. My AC unit rarely gets used, and it has already quit on me twice. I am so sick of both the AC and furnace....they are both JUNK. I'm on a very limited income and unable to fix the AC unit this year. I am going to purchase a few small AC units for the bedrooms. Also, I have a two story house, the second level rarely cools down at all, however, when working, the AC unit did cool the downstairs.

Date created: 2011-05-29 Name: Mr Freeze
Location: Ct

"HVAC Tech"
First off I would have to state something that I think gets missed in these reveiw's. Facts: If you have had many units or even just one compressor failure after having lost one within a year you have more than likely been "dis-serviced" by your repair individual. I personaly put in a Goodman because being in the trade I know its whats in the unit that matters. Technicaly I put in an "undersized unit" my reasoning was that I would have it a half ton less so as it would run a little longer for dehumidification. I live in Ct so this is ok should you be down south etc a different ave is suggested that is a whole other subject. I put in a 2.5 ton R-22 unit (got a hell of a deal or I would have done 410a). INSTALATION IS KEY!!! Unit should be at least 18" away from the exterior wall of any dwelling. Air movement / flow is critical to performance and heat disipitation.Air handler (unit in attic or basically part that gets cold "evaporator") needs proper instalation of it also. Ductwork must be professionally installed. System must be balanced meet criteria for capacity of heat load / wall thicknesses / window with incoming sunlight (heat load). Anything incorrectly either installed or designed incorrectly will hinder the units performance and longevity! My unit has what they all mostly have. A Copeland compressor / typical market single pole contactor. Typical run capacitor / run of the market fan motor and blade. Condencers / evaporators all can be damaged no matter the manufacturer. If your contractor replaces the compressor in ANY UNIT if done incorrectly the unit will fail and fail and yes FAIL AGAIN! I can not go into detail here as it is complicated and technical it involves acid formation that will destroy the internal electric windings in the compressors motor if this damaging acid is not removed correctly you could put in a Heil / Trane unit / York / American Standard you name it you'll be replacing it again and again!Goodman unit installed 2006 have replaced out original contacter with a two pole (doubled the amperage rating)so as that contacts will last a lot longer. Remember these simple things. A knocking noise is bad / buzzing from unit bad (contactor may not be getting full 24volts to hold in contactor which can short live compressor. Debree around outside unit (condencing side of system) will cause efficecy problems as well as excessive pressure for the compressor. Think of it as you trying to cool off on a 100F day while you walk in the sun with a sleeping bag wrapped around you!

Date created: 2011-05-26 Name: Georg
Location: Greensboro

"Terrible quality"
My Godman unit came with the house unfortunately. i even have a service agreement, so my unit was allways taken a good care of. I even put a cover on the outside unit in the winter time to protect it. Today it stop cooling the air all togther, on a 92 F day. i was told by the repair man that my evaporator coil was leaking on two places, none the less. The coil is under waranty (5 years), but the instalation is not. the total damage was 1.150 Do not buy this brand, unless you are already stuck with it.

Date created: 2011-05-25 Name: M. Kennedy
Location: Austin, TX

"DON'T get a Goodman!!!!"
I moved into a brand new house less than 2 years ago, and last night I had to call an AC repair place because my unit was not cooling despite running 24/7. The repair man said that he had to add 10 pounds of freon because the evaporator coil was leaking and that it needs replacing. He said the good news is that the part is under warranty, but the bad news is that labor isn't covered and is $1268!!!! OMG! I can't believe that I paid $404 for the service call and freon last night, and now I have to pay for labor to replace a part that is less than 2 years old?!?!?! I will never have a Goodman again!!!!

Date created: 2011-05-24 Name: S Roby
Location: Richmond, VA

"Poor Quality!"
This is the 3rd unit that I have owned. The first one came with the house and failed at 3 yrs. Labor was not covered by warranty. We have repeated this cycle 2 more times! The device also leaks coolant and later freezes up. I am ready to rip out a perfectly good furnace just to get away from this brand.

Date created: 2011-05-23 Name: Lorraine Yarn

"Mrs"
I have had for 1 month already had to replace the coil and a new compresser, if I would have read this page I would have never purchased. The poor guy that put it in has been out here 7 times and coming back again today. Will not exchange for a new one and can not get money back.

Date created: 2011-05-16 Name: M Warx
Location: Cleveland

"Leaking Coil"
My coil starterd leaking this year and the contractor I called informed me that he is replacing at least 3 per week. He said Goodman was aware of the problem and even though they are failing at such a high rate they have no desire to help the homeowner with the cost to replace it ot the R-22. Cheap is Cheap

Date created: 2011-05-14 Name: Eva Browning
Location: Reston, VA

"Goodman AC - Planned Obsolescence?"
My new Goodman AC unit, less than 3 years old, wouldn't turn on this spring when the weather warmed up. I wasn't overly concerned because I knew that it was still under warranty. The repairman said that the problem was a bad valve that had allowed the freon to leak out and that it needed to be replaced. While the valve was still under warrentee, the house call, diagnostics, freon refill and repair were not covered. I don't kow how much the valve cost, but the other charges came to $1200 out of pocket for a unit that was three years old. Do you hoemwork, consumers. Don't allow your ac installer to chose the brand of equipment for you. And take my advise and don't even consider buying a Goodman.

Date created: 2011-05-12 Name: matt
Location: brentwood, tn

"Goodman JUNK"
We installed 3 Goodman units / the 4.5 ton is constantly freezing up. We've had our AC installer look at it 4 times. First time he looked at it, the return filter was too high end. You need to use the cheapest filter or the condenser freezes. 2nd time it was 1 lb light on coolant. Now, the compressor kicks on and off. Cools than freezes. What a piece of JUNK! Save your self the hassle, Don't buy Goodman. We have had 5 different problems with this unit in a year. Oh yeah, a wire on the unit melted also and shut it down.

Date created: 2011-05-11 Name: Shirley R. Beard
Location: Evensville, Tennessee

"Goodmans warranty stinks"
We had a new Goodman Heating & Air Unit Installed in 2009. When we started it up this year 2011/// the air would not cool. I find out that the great 10 year warranty only cover parts. I was not told this or that after a year I had to buy an extended warranty. I just paid 450.00 to have the unit repaired. They only paid for the Evaporator coil that had gone bad after 1 years use. I had to pay 150.00 freight to have the part shipped, plus they charged me 50.00 because the crook that installed it would not come out. Plus I had to pay labor and OVER 100.00 for Freon even though the part caused the freon to leak out. Buyers Beware!!!! You may as well not have a warranty. Any company should fix a unit the second year you have it. To heck with warranties, just be an honest company and do what's right. Wish I had read the reviews before I bought. Hope this keeps someone else from making the same mistake.