Consumer Reviews of GIBSON central air conditioners

Read more about GIBSON central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-05-20 Name: C. Horton

"3.5 ton Gibson AC unit"
Three years with this unit, and all three years we have had to have technicians diagnose why it doesn't cool properly. Some of the reasons have been: not enough coolant, too much coolant, blockage in coolant system; I.E. - no one really knows. We're replacing it with something that hopefully will not have recurring problems.

Date created: 2009-05-13 Name: Joe

"The truth about Gibson"
I have been working in heating and air conditioning for over 15 years and I have installed multiple Gibson and name brand systems such as Carrier, Lennox etc. They all have the same internal parts and I end up having to go back on the name brand systems more than I ever do on the Gibson systems. It all depends on how the system was installed and if they were installed correctly or not.

Date created: 2009-05-09 Name: B. Ganucheau

"Hot in the house"
Was told by experienced ac man that this was the same as a well known name brand, but without the high cost of one. At first, worked fine, then @ 1 1/2 yrs later, compressor went out. Whole unit had to be rebuilt and charged a swap out type fee for compressor. @ 1 yr later, problems with condensor unit. Just replaced outside fan in condensor and now the compressor acting up. Had two hard start kits put on unit. Now I have more money in repairs then actual cost of unit.

Date created: 2009-05-07 Name: Tony Tabb

"Home Owner"
I purchased a 4 Ton Gibson Heat and Air unit 5 years ago. Its the worst a/c system ever. I tried to save a little by buying the Gibson. It breaks down every year at least once. I have had to replace the coil and blower already. It doesnt cool very well and runs constantly.

Date created: 2009-04-25 Name: GIBSON

"Ms"
Gibson is the brand of hvac that came with my brand new home. Every Spring I have to get repairs to my unit. This unit is a terrible waste of my money. Yes, it is still under warranty, but I do have to pay for labor and pay for the contractor to do the diagnostics. I could have purchased a new hvac system for the amount of money I have thrown into this Gibson.

Date created: 2009-04-24 Name: GIBSON

"Proud of my Gibson"
I had a Gibson installed in 2007 after eight years of using York. Not to bash York, but I had more than 30 documented calls to the installer. After three years of their incompetence and inability to fix the system, I gave up. They insisted that heat pumps can only do what they can do. Worst experience possible. I love my Gibson and the installer seemed to do a very thorough job. Go Gibson!

Date created: 2008-09-11 Name: B. Kinser
Location: FL

"Gibson A/C Unit"
Bought 5 Ton 16 months ago, and the compressor died on us. The compressor replacement costs for labor is over $600 here in fl. The manufacturer for the compressor is Copeland, which I understand is a commonly installed compressor in other manufacturers. American Standard builds their own compressors. Stay away from Gibson, they suck!

Date created: 2008-09-10 Name: Daniel Petterson
Location: Charleston, SC

"Really bad service"
Total crap! Cools good when compressor(S) are working. We have had to replace at least two. If we replace the freon (twice every summer) we have cool air. But! We have been paying $400-600 a year just to keep cool. Refuse this product. Any salesman that tries to sell you a Gibson is not your friend.

Date created: 2008-09-04 Name: Kurt
Location: Encinitas, CA

"Nightmare"
Purchased a 4Ton 10seer Gibson unit two years ago. It died a week ago (bad compressor). The original installer is now out of business. The warranty on the compressor is 5 years... but... finding an installer to do the warranty swap is a nightmare. It will cost (est) $800+ labor to replace the compressor...plus I need to purchase the new compressor ($500) myself and file a claim to Nordyne to get reimbursed. Everyone I talk to now says to avoid this brand...I Agree!

Date created: 2008-09-04 Name: Dennis Kohajda
Location: Windsor, PA

"Indoor coil"
I'm not happy with my Gibson unit. I have only had this unit for 2 1/2 years and the indoor coil is already leaking. The best thing is that it has been 1 one month and the service contractor who installed the unit has not replaced it. As of Sep 1, 2008, he said it will most likely be 6 more days until they get the coil. They blame Gibson for not sending them the coil they say they are too busy making other coils for more up to date units. My unit is only 2 1/2 years old and it is considered out of date. The only good thing is the unit is still under warranty. Who knows it might not be by the time the coil is installed. How is that for the care of a warranty customer.