Consumer Reviews of GIBSON central air conditioners

Read more about GIBSON central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-12-16 Name: Andy

"The reason for AC problems"
I have 3 units in my house - one Gibson, one Ruud and one Carrier. I also am a service and installation technician and have worked on every brand of unit. The reason some of you have trouble with your Gibson units comes from the installation, not the unit. Because the Gibson units are much less expensive, it seems the contractors installing them are typically less competent and this leads to many problems. I have installed just over 400 Gibson units in six years and have had less than 20 minor warranty calls on them. No major problems and no problem that was not quickly fixed. I personally have not had any more or less trouble with my own units as well. The two really important factors are proper installation, especially the refrigerant charge, and qualified yearly service. Any brand will fall apart in a few years if people treat it as "maintainance free". One other thing that has become a major problem is the use of the so-called high efficiency filters, especially with any unit five years old or newer. The new high seer units have to have much more airflow than older style units, but using a pleated style filter cuts airflow almost in half. Then, people let the filters go for two or three months because the filter man says they will last that long, but they will severely limit airflow after even six weeks. A plugged up filter will lead to a failed compressor in just a few months. If you want high efficiency filtration, you need a bypass system. Use hi flow filters only and change them monthly and get your unit cleaned and serviced yearly and it will last ten years.

Date created: 2009-08-20 Name: Marily Sosa

"My very bad Gibson"
I have had this unit for 4 years and it is a disaster, every 3 or 4 months It begins to drip water. I have spent a lot of money and I am thinking of replacing it with another mark.
Date created: 2009-07-01 Name: Kwasi Opoku

"Stay away from this product and anyone that tries to sell it to you"
I purchased a new forced air and cooling system 2 years ago and the compressor is already gone. The sales guy pitched this things as the perfect combination of price and durability. That's the biggest lie I have ever heard. I am already $500 in the hole and will probably need another compressor in a few years when the warranty runs out which will cost me over $1000 to fix. For your own good, stay away from this product and the sales person who tries to sell it to you.
Date created: 2009-06-12 Name: J. Lewis

"Gibson Is a Piece of Junk"
My Gibson is a combination central a/c and heat pump. I bought this house in 2004 but the house was built in 1998 and I am assuming this is the original unit. It has been nothing but problems since I moved in. The heat worked fine until last fall. When I turned the heat on the unit would not come on at all. The a/c will not come on either. The a/c has been repaired every year since I moved in because the drain pipe that drains the condensation from the unit does not work and it backs up into the unit and corrodes the electrical system. The first summer I lived here it leaked out all over the floor while I was at work and damaged the subfloor. I now have a big hole in my floor which my brother was able to cover with some plywood. The service technician cannot figure out why the drain pipe will not work and it has cost a minimum of $500 for every service call. I have spent a couple of thousand dollars on repairs which have not worked and now the unit will not work at all. I don't have the money to replace the unit so I will have to buy a window air conditioner unitl I can replace it. I had to rely on space heaters to heat my house last winter. I will be switching brands when I can afford to replace it.
Date created: 2009-05-20 Name: C. Horton

"3.5 ton Gibson AC unit"
Three years with this unit, and all three years we have had to have technicians diagnose why it doesn't cool properly. Some of the reasons have been: not enough coolant, too much coolant, blockage in coolant system; I.E. - no one really knows. We're replacing it with something that hopefully will not have recurring problems.
Date created: 2009-05-13 Name: Joe

"The truth about Gibson"
I have been working in heating and air conditioning for over 15 years and I have installed multiple Gibson and name brand systems such as Carrier, Lennox etc. They all have the same internal parts and I end up having to go back on the name brand systems more than I ever do on the Gibson systems. It all depends on how the system was installed and if they were installed correctly or not.
Date created: 2009-05-09 Name: B. Ganucheau

"Hot in the house"
Was told by experienced ac man that this was the same as a well known name brand, but without the high cost of one. At first, worked fine, then @ 1 1/2 yrs later, compressor went out. Whole unit had to be rebuilt and charged a swap out type fee for compressor. @ 1 yr later, problems with condensor unit. Just replaced outside fan in condensor and now the compressor acting up. Had two hard start kits put on unit. Now I have more money in repairs then actual cost of unit.
Date created: 2009-05-07 Name: Tony Tabb

"Home Owner"
I purchased a 4 Ton Gibson Heat and Air unit 5 years ago. Its the worst a/c system ever. I tried to save a little by buying the Gibson. It breaks down every year at least once. I have had to replace the coil and blower already. It doesnt cool very well and runs constantly.
Date created: 2009-04-25 Name: GIBSON

"Ms"
Gibson is the brand of hvac that came with my brand new home. Every Spring I have to get repairs to my unit. This unit is a terrible waste of my money. Yes, it is still under warranty, but I do have to pay for labor and pay for the contractor to do the diagnostics. I could have purchased a new hvac system for the amount of money I have thrown into this Gibson.
Date created: 2009-04-24 Name: GIBSON

"Proud of my Gibson"
I had a Gibson installed in 2007 after eight years of using York. Not to bash York, but I had more than 30 documented calls to the installer. After three years of their incompetence and inability to fix the system, I gave up. They insisted that heat pumps can only do what they can do. Worst experience possible. I love my Gibson and the installer seemed to do a very thorough job. Go Gibson!