Consumer Reviews of GIBSON central air conditioners

Read more about GIBSON central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-06-27 Name: A. Rye

"gibson condensing unit"
1st unit was a Lennox and it lasted 10 years. Replaced with a Gibson 5 ton unit. It has broken down 5 times in 4 years! Leaking coils, and 2 locked up compressors! This weekend 98 degrees and let down again!!! Again, another burnt up compressor. Do not buy Gibson!!! Gibson is absolutely garbage!!!!!

Date created: 2010-06-13 Name: Jesus Santana

"JS5BD"
My compressor is not working good, stopped and needed 3 hours to turn on. No cool air. Air is hot. I need to buy one compressor. In my case, warranty is done. I like my Gibson ac system.

Date created: 2010-06-04 Name: Harold Deese

"Home owner"
Bought a new garden home in 2005. It had a Gibson central air unit. Today, I had to replace it with a new Carrier. The Gibson never did cool like it should have in 5 years and it died. Cost me 70250.00 to replace it. We feel that it should have lasted longer. We live in a subdivision, Alavon, there the builder used Gibson nearly in all the homes. Won't ever use Gibson again or recommend.

Date created: 2010-05-27 Name: M. Smith

"Gibson 2-ton- -R-22"
Finally gave out. Condensor motor went out...replaced it, and following day the compressor quit. Had to replace the entire unit.

Date created: 2010-04-02 Name: Denver Koon

"Proper Installation Is Critical In HVAC Equipment"
Purchasing HVAC equipment is like buying a computer. There are 4-6 manufacturers of the major components, they are assembled and then Lennox, Carrier, Trane and others put there 'spin' on it to get you to purchase their product. It's no harder to stop a Trane than it is any other brand, simply because they all have the same parts made by the same people and they will fail. It's that simple. Proper installation and maintenance is the key to a problem free HVAC System. A lot of times, the trade people who sell the less expensive brands of equipment are poorly trained or do shoddy work. I suggest you use only licensed contractors, not technicians, and also people who are Accredited Members of the BBB. We sell and install 3 ton Gibson Condensers for $1195.00 and we simply do not have problems with them because we do it right.

Date created: 2010-04-02 Name: F. Tarkington

"Gibson Condenser is Good Investment"
I am a property investor. I have a great relationship with an HVAC Company named Denco who has a location in Houston and DFW. In the 3 years I have used them and bought Gibson condensers, I have had no issues. I really think proper installation is what is critical. As they explained it to me, new equipment should be installed with an in-line filter/drier and the system should be evacuated of all non-condensable gases. I highly recommend Gibson and Denco.

Date created: 2010-01-12 Name: J Tate

"Very Happy"
The units were in a house that I had purchased two years ago. The house was 50% complete when I bought it. I have finished the home and now live in. I have both the furnace and air conditioners. I think the product works well in my 6800 sq ft home.

Date created: 2009-12-16 Name: Andy

"The reason for AC problems"
I have 3 units in my house - one Gibson, one Ruud and one Carrier. I also am a service and installation technician and have worked on every brand of unit. The reason some of you have trouble with your Gibson units comes from the installation, not the unit. Because the Gibson units are much less expensive, it seems the contractors installing them are typically less competent and this leads to many problems. I have installed just over 400 Gibson units in six years and have had less than 20 minor warranty calls on them. No major problems and no problem that was not quickly fixed. I personally have not had any more or less trouble with my own units as well. The two really important factors are proper installation, especially the refrigerant charge, and qualified yearly service. Any brand will fall apart in a few years if people treat it as "maintainance free". One other thing that has become a major problem is the use of the so-called high efficiency filters, especially with any unit five years old or newer. The new high seer units have to have much more airflow than older style units, but using a pleated style filter cuts airflow almost in half. Then, people let the filters go for two or three months because the filter man says they will last that long, but they will severely limit airflow after even six weeks. A plugged up filter will lead to a failed compressor in just a few months. If you want high efficiency filtration, you need a bypass system. Use hi flow filters only and change them monthly and get your unit cleaned and serviced yearly and it will last ten years.

Date created: 2009-08-20 Name: Marily Sosa

"My very bad Gibson"
I have had this unit for 4 years and it is a disaster, every 3 or 4 months It begins to drip water. I have spent a lot of money and I am thinking of replacing it with another mark.

Date created: 2009-07-01 Name: Kwasi Opoku

"Stay away from this product and anyone that tries to sell it to you"
I purchased a new forced air and cooling system 2 years ago and the compressor is already gone. The sales guy pitched this things as the perfect combination of price and durability. That's the biggest lie I have ever heard. I am already $500 in the hole and will probably need another compressor in a few years when the warranty runs out which will cost me over $1000 to fix. For your own good, stay away from this product and the sales person who tries to sell it to you.