Consumer Reviews of GIBSON central air conditioners

Read more about GIBSON central air conditioners

Date created: 2012-06-05 Name: Linda LLoyd
Location: Clarksville, TN

"Buyer beware"
We purchased a Gibson split unit (air conditioning unit only) six years ago and it quit working within 2 days, the installer came back and fixed it and each summer we have to have the installer come back in refil the refrigerant because it will not hold. This ac unit is a piece of garbage - you get what you pay for I guess. (This was an insurance replacement for a better quality of unit) and replaced with the Gibson. We were told they were great units. Wrong. Will definitely not buy another Gibson unit

Date created: 2012-05-18 Name: S.E.

"Terrible Time with Coils"
I have Gibsons in 3 rental houses. Over 5 years I had to replace condenser coils in all of them and 2 times in one of the units. I am a contractor and can say Gibsons are cheap to buy but you could pay for a high priced and dependable unit by the time you get thru paying for the repairs on these units.

Date created: 2012-03-31 Name: Joe

"Installer error, not equipment"
If you have leaks in any unit its going to eat up a compressor...Have your installer on the chopping block not the equipment. As far as a capacitor break down? It's a $15 part, if you're getting railroaded on labor again, put your tech on the chopping block. My Gibson has run problem free for 8 years now, it's quiet and running 410a in it. Nice unit, great price and works every time for me. Just like any product it's going to get bashed by someone for some reason.

Date created: 2011-08-11 Name: Jim

"Gibson Review"
I've personally owned several Gibson units & have no complaints. They've performed as expected / needed. There is no way I could justify the additional cost for a different unit. The only thing that you'd be paying for is a name derived from advertizing, not performance!

Date created: 2011-07-24 Name: Bernie Snyder
Location: West Chester P.A.

"Its not the unit,its the installer!"
Had a 5 ton Gibson split system ac installed 3 yrs ago going on 4. Not a problem to speak of. Electric bill is lower than when I ran window units! Guys who put it in did a fantastic job. I Needed duct work throughout 6 floors of my house -- alot of work -- plus the install of the air handler and compressor. Spend the time to call around and get recommendations / opinions before you hire someone to do your work. You can purchase the best unit in the world with all the bells and whistles but if it's not installed correctly you got problems. A lot of companies will hire anybody. Remember:"If you pay peanuts you get monkeys" -- That goes for the contractor too. The company I hired used men from Local 19 Tinknockers Philadelphia P.A. I got 4 bids for the job. They weren't the lowest, but they weren't the highest either. All in all I'm very happy with Gibson's product and I'm going to call these guys back to install my heat pump.

Date created: 2010-12-09 Name: B , Stanfield
Location: Tampa ,fl

"Hunk of S--t"
This was a waste of money we had to have it fixed every time you turned on the heat the power boared would short out. Two time's it was covered but the other times it wasn't. We got no satisfaction from them so we got a TRANE now we have heat and cool . Gibson! WASTE OF MONEY.

Date created: 2010-08-04 Name: Kenneth Ford

"AC Review"
Simply put -- unit is a piece of junk. Have had unit for 5 years with constant leaks and now a bad compressor. Owners of Gibson ac units should be given their money back.

Date created: 2010-07-12 Name: Brad

"Mobile Home"
Unit works great.

Date created: 2010-07-07 Name: C. Smith

"Capacitors failed after warranty expired"
I have two Gibson condensers manufactured by Nordyne that are just over two years old. The capacitor in the first one failed after being in service for just over a year. And now, the second unit has just suffered the same fate. The capacitor is that part of the unit that is guaranteed for only one year.

Date created: 2010-06-27 Name: A. Rye

"gibson condensing unit"
1st unit was a Lennox and it lasted 10 years. Replaced with a Gibson 5 ton unit. It has broken down 5 times in 4 years! Leaking coils, and 2 locked up compressors! This weekend 98 degrees and let down again!!! Again, another burnt up compressor. Do not buy Gibson!!! Gibson is absolutely garbage!!!!!