Consumer Reviews of GIBSON central air conditioners

Read more about GIBSON central air conditioners

Date created: 2015-09-30 Name: JW
Location: Mobile, AL

"Worst A/C unit"
I bought my home new in 2007, it was built in 2006. Six months after moving into my home the nightmare started with my Gibson A/C unit. I have now been told by three different HVAC companies that this unit is a piece of junk and needs to be replaced. The capacitor has now been fixed twice, the fan a few times, it has leaked Freon outside and now the evaporator coil is leaking. All 3 companies have advised me this unit should have never been permitted to be installed in a home! That their purpose is for mobile homes. I currently have the 5 ton unit. My home is 3000 square feet. It has never cooled the home properly.

Date created: 2015-06-23 Name: William Bunting
Location: Raleigh, NC

"Gibson warranty"
Gibson warranties are the same as everyone else's and I can't believe that someone would not tell the truth about it. My Gibson unit as been working good for over 9 years now, it came with a 10-year warranty. I believe a lot of people have problems with their system because of who installed the system. We as consumers need to make sure we are dealing with companies with experienced installers. There are some companies out there who only care about cheap labor and do not train professionals.
Date created: 2015-06-15 Name: K.Ott
Location: Monticello, IN

"Junk warranty"
Have a 2 year old 4 ton condenser with leaks. Called Nordyne, which is the Gibson company, and was told I must pay all labor, plus shipping of needed parts. I also must pay for the Freon that unit lost because of the manufacturer's defective product. The equipment is junk & so is the warranty. Nordyne told me I should have read the warranty closer before I purchased it. Gibson & Nordyne are ripping people off, its a shame. Nobody should even be selling these or putting them in.
Date created: 2015-06-12 Location: md

"awesomely awesome"
We have owned our central air unit for 7 long glorious years now. These years have been filled with super cooled days during the summer, with nice warm nights during the summer. The thing that i like most about my Gibson unit is its superiority to other brands at cooling and heating. Hot summer day? Your house already at 89 degrees? Kick on your Gibson, crank it down to 69 and just feel the heat fade. The only drawback when it comes to my Gibson unit is it can be very inefficient, taking a decent amount of power to run and keep running. I have been through these seven glorious years with my Gibson unit and it has never had to be repaired or replaced and is still cooling and heating like a charm. Overall, I will be buying another Gibson when I have to because I am completely satisfied with the Gibson product and its performance.
Date created: 2014-07-14 Name: Janice Petronella
Location: NJ

"Rip off"
I had this unit installed 4 years ago to replace an older unit and have had nothing but problems. Now my ac guy says I need another whole unit, that it can't be repaired. Will never buy another Gibson product again
Date created: 2014-05-14 Name: Greg_Taylor
Location: Michigan

"Not bad, not the best. Older coils leaked"
I will start by saying I am a Journeyman commercial industrial union mechanical service technician. I also have a Bachelors degree in electrical engineering installer, and at one time owned part of a York hvac wholesale distribution center (10+ years ago). I now train mechanics, provide in depth tech support, and work as an applications engineer still in the hvac industry. I will say a lot of the problems I see can be caused by improper service or "shortcut" installations. However, I have installed two units in our homes. Both systems were installed well. I pulled the records for system #2. Here is how it was installed:purged with nitrogen while brazing, all joints were brazed- not soldered, new sealed copper lines were used, system was pressure tested to 400# with nitrogen for four hours, system was evacuated to 500 microns, purged with nitrogen, evacuated to 500 microns, purged with nitrogen, final evacuation to 320 microns held for half hour and charged with virgin DuPont r410a from new unopened cylinder. I used new gauges and hoses for charging (never previously used). Point? Everything was done far beyond industry standards and the best of the best techniques and materials were used. Result? First system leaked at two years. A-coil. Second system leaking a-coil at four years. Both houses are old houses, so out gassing is not the problem. The coils are leaking in the middle of the fin tube area, not near a joint. The outside units are the microchannel coils and seem ok. The indoor coil design has been also changed to microchannel. I replaced the last one with an aspen coil (because I had it as a sample) and just thought that one was bad luck. I'm thinking the coils are just defective and am going to try the new design if I can get it under warranty. If not, I will throw another aspen coil in! The Gibsons ate Not bad units if they can get the indoor coil leaks figured out. The outside units seem decent so far four years in!
Date created: 2013-08-31 Name: T Shore
Location: Ashland, MA 01721

"Incorrect Information Given"
Your ratings are obsolete. The unit I have works very well with no problems for 2 years. I have it looked at yearly as suggested by the manufacturer, but your review is on a Gibson A/C that is no longer available and 3-7 years old. People are being deceived by the poor ratings. The reviews tell me the installer of their unit did not follow the proper procedure when installing, causing the problems they are experiencing. Air, moisture, contaminants, are the enemy of these units. So, if they are not installed properly, nothing but problems will accrue.
Date created: 2013-08-03 Name: Will
Location: New Orleans, La.

"Low cost unit high cost repairs"
Bought this unit because of low initial cost for high efficiency central compressor. 2 years old. Replace compressor coil in first 8 months because of leak. Replaced capacitor 6 months later. No broken again and awaiting parts. While most parts are under warranty cost of labor to replace is not. Inconvenience when unit fails and it is 97 f outside is very bad. So far labor costs have made unit as expensive as the most expensive comparable unit on the market and it is only 2 years old.
Date created: 2012-12-31 Name: j.cheriyan
Location: pa

"Hvac"
I purchased a new home from builder in 2008. The a/c system broke down within a month of month of its use. Complaints made to installer. He attended complaints, but could not fix the problem in his various visits from 7/2008 to 8/2009. He gave up saying there could be some manufacturing problem in the system. I am using window air conditioners for the last three years and now I am going to replace the entire unit on an estimated cost of $6,500. Gibson is not a dependable product or the company or its suppliers or installers are dependable.
Date created: 2012-10-01 Name: Jame Smith

"Bad coil"
I bought my house 2.5 years ago in a neighborhood that all houses are built by the same contractor. All of the homes have Gibson hvac units in them. After the first year the coil started leaking. I haven’t talked to everyone but out of the ones that I have asked 80% of them have had the same problem. I asked the Gibson dealer that installed the unit to come out and check it and they said that it was most likely the “a coil” and the part would be covered under warranty but I would have to pay $500.00 for the labor to install the part. I called other places and they said that they would have to come out and look at the unit and give me a price. It was like the Gibson dealer did this “a coil” replacement so much they didn’t even need to come out to give me a quote. I guess that if you were a Gibson dealer you would have job security on replacing coils. Did I mention that the competitor in town that did not sail Gibson and was willing to come out and give an estimate in person was cheaper on the labor. So I would not recommend one of the junk units to anyone and can’t see how someone could in good conscious sell them.