Consumer Reviews of GIBSON central air conditioners

Read more about GIBSON central air conditioners

Date created: 2013-08-31 Name: T Shore
Location: Ashland, MA 01721

"Incorrect Information Given"
Your ratings are obsolete. The unit I have works very well with no problems for 2 years. I have it looked at yearly as suggested by the manufacturer, but your review is on a Gibson A/C that is no longer available and 3-7 years old. People are being deceived by the poor ratings. The reviews tell me the installer of their unit did not follow the proper procedure when installing, causing the problems they are experiencing. Air, moisture, contaminants, are the enemy of these units. So, if they are not installed properly, nothing but problems will accrue.

Date created: 2013-08-03 Name: Will
Location: New Orleans, La.

"Low cost unit high cost repairs"
Bought this unit because of low initial cost for high efficiency central compressor. 2 years old. Replace compressor coil in first 8 months because of leak. Replaced capacitor 6 months later. No broken again and awaiting parts. While most parts are under warranty cost of labor to replace is not. Inconvenience when unit fails and it is 97 f outside is very bad. So far labor costs have made unit as expensive as the most expensive comparable unit on the market and it is only 2 years old.

Date created: 2012-12-31 Name: j.cheriyan
Location: pa

"Hvac"
I purchased a new home from builder in 2008. The a/c system broke down within a month of month of its use. Complaints made to installer. He attended complaints, but could not fix the problem in his various visits from 7/2008 to 8/2009. He gave up saying there could be some manufacturing problem in the system. I am using window air conditioners for the last three years and now I am going to replace the entire unit on an estimated cost of $6,500. Gibson is not a dependable product or the company or its suppliers or installers are dependable.

Date created: 2012-10-01 Name: Jame Smith

"Bad coil"
I bought my house 2.5 years ago in a neighborhood that all houses are built by the same contractor. All of the homes have Gibson hvac units in them. After the first year the coil started leaking. I haven’t talked to everyone but out of the ones that I have asked 80% of them have had the same problem. I asked the Gibson dealer that installed the unit to come out and check it and they said that it was most likely the “a coil” and the part would be covered under warranty but I would have to pay $500.00 for the labor to install the part. I called other places and they said that they would have to come out and look at the unit and give me a price. It was like the Gibson dealer did this “a coil” replacement so much they didn’t even need to come out to give me a quote. I guess that if you were a Gibson dealer you would have job security on replacing coils. Did I mention that the competitor in town that did not sail Gibson and was willing to come out and give an estimate in person was cheaper on the labor. So I would not recommend one of the junk units to anyone and can’t see how someone could in good conscious sell them.

Date created: 2012-09-11 Name: John shelton
Location: MS

"Crap"
Bought a new house in 2008 that had a Gibson 5 ton split unit installed. The a coil started leaking after two years. They supplied a new coil and I paid over $600.00 to have it install. Two months later the condensing coil blew a hole and let about $300.00 dollars of freon out. They don't have a coil for this unit but can make one in two weeks. I told customer service that's unacceptable in record heat temps here in the south, They said it was not there fault. I strongly suggest to never buy there products ever!

Date created: 2012-09-06 Name: Brian Gates
Location: Milton, FL

"Gibson/Nordyne Simply the Worst"
From my experience, Gibson units are the worst, and Nordyne, the parent company is worthless. I have had a number of parts fail on my two Gibson units since they were new 7 years ago. Mainly, I have had to replace three A-coils starting at about 1 year after their install. Nordyne's customer service was very difficult to contact and very rude and difficult once I did get in touch with them. Last year I ended up completely replacing one of the air handlers and I have just has to replace my other complete system. In the end, Gibson/Nordyne units are cheap junk. Do not buy them. They have cost me over $7000 in replacement parts, labor and replacement units; not mention the endless headaches and loss of heating and cooling on a disturbingly routine bases. I have never had this kind of trouble with Trane or Carrier systems at my past homes or the homes of relatives.

Date created: 2012-08-04 Name: T hagelgans
Location: Nashville, TN

"Bad Reversing Valves"
Crap. Compressor died 5.5 years after installation. Apparently due to a malfunctioning reversing valve. Do yourself a favor and seek a brand whose products will last longer than 5.5 years.

Date created: 2012-07-19 Name: Alberto Milmo
Location: San Antonio, TX

"The worst HVAC unit ever!! Stay Away!"
I've bought 139 Gibson units for a brand new luxury apartment complex in 2008 and since day 1 we've had problems with the systems. Gibson (Nordyne) offers 10 year warranty on most parts and 5 years on compressors but this does not include labor and freon. In addition, they do not honor their warranty as stated. We've had to change over 56 evaporator coils so far on 3 year old units!. The evaporator coils do not hold and eventually start leaking the freon. In addition, we've had compressors and capacitors gone bad very often....we have 10 or 12 units a month that require service. We have spent a lot more money now in repairs (labor) than if we had bought the very high end HVAC's from other recognized and reputable brand. I really DO NOT recommend GIBSON by any means. I would never buy it again.

Date created: 2012-07-11 Name: LARRY E BOWSER
Location: 565 NORTH CHERRY ST WORTHINGTON PA

"WON'T HONOR WARRANTY"
I have run this unit 4 summers. Started this summer and found that the compressor was bad, until now worked fine. Called a/c sales and they ask for serial #, they said they had no record unit had been registered so would not replace compressor. The registration was done on line so I had no proof that it had been sent in as soon as the unit was installed. I guess this company thinks everyone is a liar. They want almost as much for the compressor as you would pay for the whole condenser unit. That's okay they will win this battle but they will loss the war because there will never be another Nordyne product purchased by me and by the looks of these reviews a lot of other people. Nordyn I would be worried. You can't treat people like this today and expect to stay in business. Shame on you.

Date created: 2012-06-05 Name: Linda LLoyd
Location: Clarksville, TN

"Buyer beware"
We purchased a Gibson split unit (air conditioning unit only) six years ago and it quit working within 2 days, the installer came back and fixed it and each summer we have to have the installer come back in refil the refrigerant because it will not hold. This ac unit is a piece of garbage - you get what you pay for I guess. (This was an insurance replacement for a better quality of unit) and replaced with the Gibson. We were told they were great units. Wrong. Will definitely not buy another Gibson unit