Consumer Reviews of GIBSON central air conditioners

Read more about GIBSON central air conditioners

Date created: 2016-06-11 Name: W Ledford
Location: Georgia

This unit has been nothing but trouble since we had it put in. And now here it is over 90 degrees and it has gone out again.

Date created: 2016-02-09 Name: D Kissell
Location: Riceville, TN

"Piece of shit, Gibson sold it knowing it was not right"
This unit was installed a year ago. It was sold at ******** in Chattanooga, Tennessee, with them knowing that this model had the problem. When the installer sets Freon pressure for summer it works but as soon as it turns cold you have to let Freon out to get it to run because of high pressure. So when I call ******** they know about the problem already but will do not anything. So as far as I am concerned when you buy Gibson it may work or it may not. It's a piece of shit, you get it as is so good luck

Date created: 2015-12-08 Name: Frank
Location: Johnstown, PA

"Very good units"
I am a professional installer. I have an associate degree in HVAC, I am a Union Plumber. I am a Master Plumber. I also have a degree in electronics. I am reading these reviews and I believe the problems are with the person installing the equipment. If it is installed wrong, or undersized or oversized, then the equipment will not last. I am sure the home owners had a lack of quality service done on the equipment. Leaks in the line sets are problems with the installer. Equipment that is installed correctly should never leak refrigerant gas, aka Freon. Do your homework before having equipment installed. Ask around who people recommend.

Date created: 2015-12-07 Name: G.D.Smith
Location: Lebanon, TN

"12/07/2015"
We purchased the unit for our house 9 years ago and have had more than 20 service calls at $80.00 apiece plus labor. The dealer we bought the units from went out of business right after we purchased the units. The only thing that we have not replaced on our unit is the circuit board and the outer cage. We have contacted 15 different companies and no one will honor our full parts and labor warranty that we paid extra for and says that Nordyne will not pay them for their labor. Now our other unit at my mom's house has a fried circuit board and we are being billed for the full labor cost in spite of the fact that we also paid extra for a full warranty for her unit as well. ($300.00 each) We have been unable to find anyone that will honor our warranty. What a loss!

Date created: 2015-09-30 Name: JW
Location: Mobile, AL

"Worst A/C unit"
I bought my home new in 2007, it was built in 2006. Six months after moving into my home the nightmare started with my Gibson A/C unit. I have now been told by three different HVAC companies that this unit is a piece of junk and needs to be replaced. The capacitor has now been fixed twice, the fan a few times, it has leaked Freon outside and now the evaporator coil is leaking. All 3 companies have advised me this unit should have never been permitted to be installed in a home! That their purpose is for mobile homes. I currently have the 5 ton unit. My home is 3000 square feet. It has never cooled the home properly.

Date created: 2015-06-23 Name: William Bunting
Location: Raleigh, NC

"Gibson warranty"
Gibson warranties are the same as everyone else's and I can't believe that someone would not tell the truth about it. My Gibson unit as been working good for over 9 years now, it came with a 10-year warranty. I believe a lot of people have problems with their system because of who installed the system. We as consumers need to make sure we are dealing with companies with experienced installers. There are some companies out there who only care about cheap labor and do not train professionals.

Date created: 2015-06-15 Name: K.Ott
Location: Monticello, IN

"Junk warranty"
Have a 2 year old 4 ton condenser with leaks. Called Nordyne, which is the Gibson company, and was told I must pay all labor, plus shipping of needed parts. I also must pay for the Freon that unit lost because of the manufacturer's defective product. The equipment is junk & so is the warranty. Nordyne told me I should have read the warranty closer before I purchased it. Gibson & Nordyne are ripping people off, its a shame. Nobody should even be selling these or putting them in.

Date created: 2015-06-12 Location: md

"awesomely awesome"
We have owned our central air unit for 7 long glorious years now. These years have been filled with super cooled days during the summer, with nice warm nights during the summer. The thing that i like most about my Gibson unit is its superiority to other brands at cooling and heating. Hot summer day? Your house already at 89 degrees? Kick on your Gibson, crank it down to 69 and just feel the heat fade. The only drawback when it comes to my Gibson unit is it can be very inefficient, taking a decent amount of power to run and keep running. I have been through these seven glorious years with my Gibson unit and it has never had to be repaired or replaced and is still cooling and heating like a charm. Overall, I will be buying another Gibson when I have to because I am completely satisfied with the Gibson product and its performance.

Date created: 2014-07-14 Name: Janice Petronella
Location: NJ

"Rip off"
I had this unit installed 4 years ago to replace an older unit and have had nothing but problems. Now my ac guy says I need another whole unit, that it can't be repaired. Will never buy another Gibson product again

Date created: 2014-05-14 Name: Greg_Taylor
Location: Michigan

"Not bad, not the best. Older coils leaked"
I will start by saying I am a Journeyman commercial industrial union mechanical service technician. I also have a Bachelors degree in electrical engineering installer, and at one time owned part of a York hvac wholesale distribution center (10+ years ago). I now train mechanics, provide in depth tech support, and work as an applications engineer still in the hvac industry. I will say a lot of the problems I see can be caused by improper service or "shortcut" installations. However, I have installed two units in our homes. Both systems were installed well. I pulled the records for system #2. Here is how it was installed:purged with nitrogen while brazing, all joints were brazed- not soldered, new sealed copper lines were used, system was pressure tested to 400# with nitrogen for four hours, system was evacuated to 500 microns, purged with nitrogen, evacuated to 500 microns, purged with nitrogen, final evacuation to 320 microns held for half hour and charged with virgin DuPont r410a from new unopened cylinder. I used new gauges and hoses for charging (never previously used). Point? Everything was done far beyond industry standards and the best of the best techniques and materials were used. Result? First system leaked at two years. A-coil. Second system leaking a-coil at four years. Both houses are old houses, so out gassing is not the problem. The coils are leaking in the middle of the fin tube area, not near a joint. The outside units are the microchannel coils and seem ok. The indoor coil design has been also changed to microchannel. I replaced the last one with an aspen coil (because I had it as a sample) and just thought that one was bad luck. I'm thinking the coils are just defective and am going to try the new design if I can get it under warranty. If not, I will throw another aspen coil in! The Gibsons ate Not bad units if they can get the indoor coil leaks figured out. The outside units seem decent so far four years in!