Consumer Reviews of DUCANE central air conditioners

Read more about DUCANE central air conditioners

Date created: 2015-04-19 Name: Katie
Location: Ohio

"Crap"
I used Universal Heating and Air in Dayton, Ohio. My unit was supposedly professionally installed (they had one hvac certified guy supervising 2 apprentices). The first unit they installed worked for about 4 hours. It had a leaky coil. The a--he that came back to check out what was wrong said my electricity panel needed to be replaced, that it was shorting it out. I hired an electrician to come and inspect my electricity. The electrician showed me that the coil was a frozen block of ice. I had Universal come out again and they refilled the Freon and said they fixed the leak. It took me threatening to sue them before they came out and installed another Ducane. The past two winters the heat pump blew cold air if it was below 40 outside. Universal explained to me that the heat pump takes the outside air and heats it over a compressor, and if the outside air is too cold it will not be hot air but warm air. I turned the air conditioner on 2 days ago. The thermostat shows the cool air is on, however, the unit is not running at all. I have the thermostat set to 70 and it is 74 with nothing happening but the thermostat says the cold air is on. I do not have the money to replace this heap of junk. Hopefully, I do not get ripped off on the servicing of this crap.

Date created: 2015-02-13 Name: Jason

"Ducane is an excellent product with top of the line components"
Ducane builds and offers an excellent product line that is built with "industry standard" quality components found in most all brand name quality units. If this equipment is installed by a competent installer, chances are the ownership experience will be overwhelmingly positive. On the other hand, if installed by a "hack" it will likely be the wrong size for the home or have been damaged during the install, leading to premature failure and/or frequent service calls. This is true for all quality equipment. Unfortunately, for every good equipment installer there seems to be 10 duds. Unfortunately, the dud installers/technicians also lack the knowledge and integrity to recognize and/or admit their mistake (our a past tech's mistake) and generally just slander the brand that they are too incompetent to correctly diagnose or install. Unfortunately, this leaves the consumer (see many reviews) feeling that they were sold a "piece of junk" and that the equipment manufacturer should be burned at the stake. However, this is very often far from true. Generally, premature compressor failures (for example) are caused by improper installation and service techniques, and not a "bad" compressor. Also, many units that fail to cool a home (a common complaint) are improperly sized for the home and/or installed in combination with inadequate blower/duct size/coil/etc. These are perfectly good and well built units that were never given a chance to prove their quality and reliability to the owner. In fact, most of the components in a Ducane unit are the same brand and style of components found in the top names of the industry. If you find yourself working with a technician or installer who claims that Ducane is junk, I would humbly recommend that you fire him/her immediately and find a new technician. A technician who proclaims a product to be junk that has the same components as all major brands is simply showing you his ignorance of the product and inability to make an accurate diagnosis. Good luck!

Date created: 2014-08-21 Name: phyll
Location: Cleveland, OH

"Don't buy Ducane"
I purchased this foreclosed property with the Ducane air conditioner. It does not cool the house, it leaks, looses freon. I purchased a Supreme Home warranty when I purchased this house and they pay for nothing. This is a terrible air conditioning unit and do not purchase it. I was told by the warranty company not to turn this air on too low. Junk, junk, junk

Date created: 2014-06-13 Name: Kevin Phegley
Location: Gainesville, FL

"Compressor bad 6 months after warranty"
Lasted 5 years and 6 months, warranty over, ac guy wants $2,100 for a new compressor with a one year warranty, should have gone with Trane for Extra

Date created: 2013-07-19 Name: David Taylor
Location: Forestville, MD

"Good Product"
I had this unit installed in May 2010. I have had no problems, it is quiet and works fine.

Date created: 2013-07-11 Name: Ann hayes
Location: Tyler, texas

"Never Have Anything Installed With This Name"
Never have anything installed with this name. Had two years and had to have compressor replaced. Now the fan and possibly compressor is out of the upstairs AC. Should have checked the reviews before letting the AC company install this. It's true. You get what you pay for.

Date created: 2013-07-08 Name: Mary Jerden
Location: Alabama

"Dissatisfied"
Had Ducane central air installed about 5 years ago. Ever since was installed, have had work on it at least 4 times a year. Unfortunately, can't afford to have this replaced. Very dissatisfied with the product.

Date created: 2012-08-07 Name: Wendy B
Location: Southern Cali

"Pure crap ($3,000)"
Had this installed 2 years ago. Second year it didn't perform well but I couldn't afford to call anyone out. This year, barely into its third year, tech has been out 6 times in 12 days! 1St time he fixed a leak & said he'd fixed every last one of this Brand he'd installed, bad welds on all pipe joints, fittings. It lasted one day until it leaked again. 2nd time raised leak, third time cleaned coils & fixed leak, leak fixed 6 times in total. I'm writing this as I wait for him to arrive again for the 7th time! Course the piece that keeps giving the trouble isn't covered by their warranty. I've paid several times for freon, he didn't charge me a cople of times, he feels so bad that he can't solve the problem. Its 106 here today & I just can't do this every other day, I'm asking him how much to replace it with one that actually works. What I've paid him for the constant fixes & the high electric bill trying to cool the house down, which ultimately ends up pumping hot air from outside & heating it up, it'll be wiser for me at this point to just pay the money & start over!

Date created: 2012-06-10 Name: Marisa Demaya
Location: Houston, TX

"STOPPED WORKING AFTER 1 YEAR"
This thing is the biggest piece of crap I've ever witnessed in my entire life. Nothing but trouble since it was installed--literally 1 year ago! First we went through 4 different thermostats because our looney ac guy insisted this was the problem and not the unit. What happens is it doesn't cool enough so the thermostat goes nuts trying to register the change which occurs like every minute due to this piece of crap. Then it "somehow" shorted the voltage wire to delay the fan start... and since then we've had two different technicians out to "replace" a few pounds of coolant--yet no leak and no real explanation as to why a 1 year old brand new unit runs out of freon? C'mon guys? Really? Their general explanation-- Ducane is the worst thing you can buy. And bottom line--I believe them. This thing just doesn't cool enough. It's got a teeny tiny fan compared to the unit we replaced with it. When we saw them carry that in, we had our doubts and should've turned back then. God I wish I could go back in time. I'd take the high road instead of agreeing to install this piece of garbage. Flash forward 1 year, it has stopped cooling and runs all day/night just to get a few degrees below 80!!!! In Texas, that's just plain unacceptable. The company is garbage just like the units they manufacture. Pure Garbage, all there is to it. Do not buy anything from this brand or company. That's all I can advise.

Date created: 2012-04-23 Name: Jeff
Location: An

"Buyer beware"
Biggest piece of junk. Brand new unit and has broke the 3 times last two years. Don't buy! I wish I would have saved my money and used my old unit!