Consumer Reviews of DUCANE central air conditioners

Read more about DUCANE central air conditioners

Date created: 2018-03-11 Name: Tony
Location: Orlando, FL

"Diva me a/c Garbage 100%"
So My landlord had a guy name Randy Murillo with Randyís a/c service which works wit ducane come to my house and install the unit inside and outside brand new worst decision of my life I shouldíve just kept the old one it worked a lot better this is a 2.5 ton I got installed about two months ago and seen him over 20 times it does not cool down the house I donít think it would even cool down a one bedroom apartment never mind a three-bedroom house Ducane is by far the worse company to ever make air Conditioning units if you want a long time of headache go ahead by a Ducane and you will find out iím ready to break my lease and move out of my house itís so bad I had one there before it was about 20 years old I much rather get that one back if I was able to Of course they feed you it comes with one year warranty but if you have to come out 20 times in two months itís not even worth it and here I am it says 70 on the thermostat but it feels 78 the unit is terrible does not work at all I feel like I have no a/c And in Orlando Florida it gets hot so for anyone reading this review I highly recommend staying away from the brand ok theyíre the worst in the business if any questions you can contact me at [email protected] canít even find an official website for Ducane smh now thatís B.s😡😡😡

Date created: 2018-01-31 Name: Kevin
Location: Louisville, KY

"Why"
We bought the complete unit two years ago and have had to have it worked on at least five times now with the technician finding issues like : low refrigerant twice, blocked orifice, bad fan blade?, And replacing the a coil. The unit has never performed well since day one. I have read several reviews on here about the installation and how if installed incorrectly you will have problems my question is why are the other companies not getting the same complaints as Ducane and Lennox 2 out of 5. These units are cheap to buy and the quality shows why they are so cheap. Even the energy guide shows that they are inefficient units causing electric bills to go up. Knowing what a problem this can be I will check myself and not take the first unit a repair company offers

Date created: 2018-01-23 Name: Sondra Largent
Location: Orlando, FL

"Unlicensed Contractor"
Contractor put in wrong size unit. Problems right after installation leaking, it needed a new Air Conditioner Condenser. The unit vibrates walls and floors. Contractor does not respond to me to fix it. I found out too late...he was an unlicensed contractor. The problems I have, especially with the unit and walls vibrating, are the result of this man and his workers not knowing what they are doing. Yet, taking money for a job that was done badly.

Date created: 2017-05-21 Name: Brenda
Location: Illinois

"ABSOLUTE JUNK"
Absolutely ridiculous customer service. Was promised a call back within 24 hours over a week ago!!! Have also followed up with the distributor and installer. All of us have called numerous times! This is the 2nd time this junk unit has broken since it was installed 3 years ago! It's been 88 degrees in my house at night. I'm working up to 16 hours a day and can't even rest in comfort for the few hours I get to sleep! I will be contacting the bbb tomorrow also. This unit is under warranty and leaking freon.

Date created: 2016-08-04 Name: Brad Logel
Location: Bridgeville, PA

"Pos stay away"
First compressor failed. Second compressor failed. Onto the third, third year of ownership. Stay away!

Date created: 2016-06-06 Name: John Bielinski
Location: Las Vegas, NV

"Ducane junk"
I have purchased over 30 Ducane A/C units. They are problematic, ill conceived and after a few years, junk.

Date created: 2016-01-31 Name: Bob Roy
Location: Roswell, GA

"Hundreds installed - zero warranty"
Proper installation means good performance and fewer breakdowns. Did you know that in 60% of the states you do not need to be licensed to do HVAC? (Therefore any person with a set of tools can attempt to do it properly, but few do). Did you know that 9 out of 10 air conditioners are installed improperly according to industry surveys therefore affecting longevity and performance? Did you know that the Ducane is a Lennox product that has all the same parts as other Lennox models? We could buy and install any product we want including Trane, Carrier or other brands. But we choose the Ducane (and Airease) model because it is well-built and dependable. Why would we want to install a product that didn't perform well? Nearly all of our business is referral - so happy customers equals booming business. Unfortunately in many states Lennox has set up distributors that will sell to anybody that can breathe. They don't allow them to have the flagship name Lennox product but they allow them to have the Ducane and twin Concord product. The only difference is the nameplate - and these are also sold under the Aire-Flo brand. Before I became an HVAC contractor I trained contractors for the factory in the Southeast on Lennox products including Ducane. The sad fact is many people don't have the skill or take the care to ensure all the things are installed properly. Once contractors learned how to properly install them the failure rates dropped dramatically. It is simply a case of they didn't know what they didn't know. Not many people understand that you hire a contractor for his skill and knowledge, not because he can carry the unit off the truck and melt a couple of copper pipes together. However it is difficult for homeowners to filter out the bad apples from the good ones. The warranty rate is typically very low on these products when installed properly, but very high when they are not. It is indeed a fact that the wrong units are often installed together, wrong amount of Freon put in them, wrong size air filters and ducts (which causes the unit to choke, malfunction and burn out), even new units installed with old sections of equipment because someone says, "Yep it will be fine" When working for the factory in South Carolina I often observed units that were sent back under warranty to the test labs. 98 times out of 100 the units fired up and worked perfectly! The fact is the contractors didn't install them properly, causing them to fail. Installation skill and knowledge is everything!

Date created: 2015-05-06 Name: S Hill
Location: Jonesboro, AR

"Do not buy this brand"
I have had this system for almost five years and it is a piece of junk. Every summer for the past two years there has been something wrong with it and the parts that are need are either not under warranty or the warranty just ran out. I think there should be a recall on this product or take it off the market.

Date created: 2015-04-19 Name: Katie
Location: Ohio

"Crap"
I used Universal Heating and Air in Dayton, Ohio. My unit was supposedly professionally installed (they had one hvac certified guy supervising 2 apprentices). The first unit they installed worked for about 4 hours. It had a leaky coil. The a--he that came back to check out what was wrong said my electricity panel needed to be replaced, that it was shorting it out. I hired an electrician to come and inspect my electricity. The electrician showed me that the coil was a frozen block of ice. I had Universal come out again and they refilled the Freon and said they fixed the leak. It took me threatening to sue them before they came out and installed another Ducane. The past two winters the heat pump blew cold air if it was below 40 outside. Universal explained to me that the heat pump takes the outside air and heats it over a compressor, and if the outside air is too cold it will not be hot air but warm air. I turned the air conditioner on 2 days ago. The thermostat shows the cool air is on, however, the unit is not running at all. I have the thermostat set to 70 and it is 74 with nothing happening but the thermostat says the cold air is on. I do not have the money to replace this heap of junk. Hopefully, I do not get ripped off on the servicing of this crap.

Date created: 2015-02-13 Name: Jason

"Ducane is an excellent product with top of the line components"
Ducane builds and offers an excellent product line that is built with "industry standard" quality components found in most all brand name quality units. If this equipment is installed by a competent installer, chances are the ownership experience will be overwhelmingly positive. On the other hand, if installed by a "hack" it will likely be the wrong size for the home or have been damaged during the install, leading to premature failure and/or frequent service calls. This is true for all quality equipment. Unfortunately, for every good equipment installer there seems to be 10 duds. Unfortunately, the dud installers/technicians also lack the knowledge and integrity to recognize and/or admit their mistake (our a past tech's mistake) and generally just slander the brand that they are too incompetent to correctly diagnose or install. Unfortunately, this leaves the consumer (see many reviews) feeling that they were sold a "piece of junk" and that the equipment manufacturer should be burned at the stake. However, this is very often far from true. Generally, premature compressor failures (for example) are caused by improper installation and service techniques, and not a "bad" compressor. Also, many units that fail to cool a home (a common complaint) are improperly sized for the home and/or installed in combination with inadequate blower/duct size/coil/etc. These are perfectly good and well built units that were never given a chance to prove their quality and reliability to the owner. In fact, most of the components in a Ducane unit are the same brand and style of components found in the top names of the industry. If you find yourself working with a technician or installer who claims that Ducane is junk, I would humbly recommend that you fire him/her immediately and find a new technician. A technician who proclaims a product to be junk that has the same components as all major brands is simply showing you his ignorance of the product and inability to make an accurate diagnosis. Good luck!