Consumer Reviews of Comfortmaker central air conditioners

Read more about Comfortmaker central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-08-09 Name: D Worrall

"Owner"
Terrible unit -- always breaking.

Date created: 2010-08-06 Name: S.M.

"Consistent Coil Problems"
We've been in our house for 6 years now...built new in 2004. We've gone through 5 coils in that time...3 in the attic unit and our 2nd one in the downstairs unit is being fixed today. Fortunately our builder recognizes the consistent problem and has covered the labor even though our warranty is out. Unfortunately, the builder will not replace the units even though they know there is a problem. There is obviously a design flaw with the coils but Comfortmaker says there is no issue. I'm tired of having to replace them every year and will be installing two new systems in the Spring.

Date created: 2010-08-01 Name: J. Cole

"No problems after 9 years"
My father-in-law and a friend installed this unit (nac048aka5) for us about 9 years ago, 6 months after we moved into our newly built 3,000/sq ft. home. Even after the cooling fins suffered damage from a severe wind storm a few years ago, the unit still can chill us to the bone. We have never had it serviced or recharged in the nine years we've had it.

Date created: 2010-07-26 Name: Lauren

"Compressor died with the warrenty"
Compressor stopped functioning the month after the warranty expired.

Date created: 2010-07-25 Name: Shannon Postell

"WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!!"
Got this unit last month and it hasn't worked right one day!!!! The technician has been out at least 4 times already and we're on first name basis!!! I will be shopping around for a new unit and will be fighting to have this one returned if even by law!!!!

Date created: 2010-07-22 Name: G. Smith
Location: Houston, TX

"GREAT UNIT!!!!"
I have a Comfortmaker system that was installed over twelve years ago and aside for annual maintenance I have not touched it or spent a dime on it. I live in Houston, Tx where it consistently reaches the mid to upper 90's with almost matching humidity levels and I have never had a problem cooling my home. I have been in the air conditioning industry for 22 years and I'm going to tell you something every homeowner should know about central ac systems. Research, research, and then research who is going to be installing your new system as that is a thousand times more important than the brand you choose. It does not matter if you go with Goodman, Trane, Lennox, Rheem, Carrier, Comfortmaker, etc. If it is not installed properly as a matched system by trained technicians, you are going to have problems. If you don't believe me, then read all the bad reviews for the other brands on this website. If you do not choose a reputable company to install it, then you will have problems getting parts and getting them out there if you have a problem. My suggestion is to compare the features and benefits that you are looking for and then compare the warranties and base your decision on these factors, not advertising and endorsements by professional athletes that don't know one brand from the other. After you decide on the brand you would like, then track down the best contractor you can find that is a dealer for that brand. Ask your potential contractor questions like: How long have you been in business? What type of training and continuing education do your installers/technicians receive? What is your warranty service policy? What is your after hours policy? How long have each of your technicians been employed with your company? And finally, two of the biggest questions that are a must; Will you be installing the system yourself or will you be subcontracting the work out and do you have the contact information for some of your previous customers, one recent and one a few years older? Call their previous customers and ask about their work and their service. If the company will not provide references, then there is probably a pretty good reason why. Like I said, when this review began, I have been in the business for 22 years and I could have taken this opportunity to try and sell you on Comfortmaker systems but I have tried not to do that. Just make a fair comparison on features and warranties, then research the heck out of the company you are going to pay thousands of dollars to install it. One last thing, one brand does not cool better than another brand. They are all rated and built to meet exacting standards, efficiencies, and capacities. The only thing that will make one system work better than another is if it is installed better, which is why I keep telling you to choose your contractor wisely!!!!! Sincerely, G. Smith

Date created: 2010-07-06 Name: NK

"Worst of all"
One of the worse things in the house that requires a service call at least a couple times a year. It's made so cheap that we saw rust in the coil system almost 3 years back. We use it only for 200 hours a year but still had enough issues with it and I decided never buy a Comfortmaker again. Within 3 years, the compressor gone and had to replace with another junk one (because of warranty) and that's gone this year. The one happy thing is that all of my friends who has the Comfortmaker model ended up with the same troubles and share the pain with us. If you want pain, choose Comfortmaker (Comfort pain makers).

Date created: 2010-07-02 Name: L. Ball

"Stay Far Away from this Brand"
Just a piece of junk!! We have a 700 sq. ft. lake condo and replaced our 33 yr. old unit with the Comfort Maker. The day it was installed, it took 12 hours to cool to a comfortable temperature but not desired temp. Called installer back and he said it just had to get rid of all the hot air. Our old unit cooled in 15 minutes. Arrived yesterday at lake with inside temp at 82 & it took 24 hrs running all the time to get to desired temp. Four thousand $ later, I'm very mad and hot!!

Date created: 2010-06-23 Name: J. Holtzer

"JUNK"
This is the second time in three months that our air conditioner has gone out. Today, it is 83 degrees in the house. Yesterday, it was 84. My soon to be two year old is stressed, cranky and so am I. I am done.

Date created: 2010-06-23 Name: Anthony Patterson

"Problems with our Comfortmaker AC"
Where do I start, this is the worst air conditioned unit I have ever had. It never cools the house down during the summer. It runs all day and most of the night. We can sit and watch the temperature rise as the day goes on, knowing the unit will not cut off. I have put in at least 10 service calls to during the time it was under warranty. Now that the warranty has expired, they have hit us with a $800.00 bill for repairs. The coil and damper motor has to be replaced. The parts are still under warranty but the labor with cost us that much. I wonder if this was not the problem all along and they did not want to fix it for free. We have been in the house since Oct 2005, and every summer the same thing. Before I pay Louis heating and air conditioning to fix it, I will do it myself, (and I don't know jack about fixing ac units) at least I admit it. They need to rename the unit to the little unit who couldn't.