Consumer Reviews of Comfortmaker central air conditioners

Read more about Comfortmaker central air conditioners

Date created: 2011-06-11 Name: John I
Location: New Jersey

"Complete Compressor Failure in 8 years"
If you are buying a Comfortmaker A/C System, I recommend the purchase of an extended warranty. Our 8 year old system had the compressor fail completely in our downstairs unit. We have never had a major AC repair in any other home we have owned, even those with older units. We are now putting $1,500 into an 8 year old system, with no help from Comfortmaker. Our upstair Comfortmaker A/C system also leaks refrigerant, and performs poorly even when fully charged. In summary I would never purchase anything made by United Techologies again.

Date created: 2011-06-06 Name: Roger Allen
Location: Melrose, Florida

"Great cooling and very quiet operation"
I had a new central HVAC system installed in my house in 2010. It is a 2 ton, 13 SEER Comfortmaker split system. Prior to that I had a Whirlpool that was installed new with the house in 1987. That unit never let me down in 23 years! My new Comfortmaker is so quiet and cools very nicely. It has the latest technology that protects against surges, power off-on and lightning. My energy bill is about 30% less now. I am very pleased so far. Also, the contractor who I bought it from and installed it is very professional and competent.

Date created: 2011-06-02 Name: MPC

"WORST UNIT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!"
NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. SPENT AT LEAST $2,000 ON IT SO FAR TO KEEP IT RUNNING. COMFORT MAKER COMPANY HAS WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET THEM OUT TO LOOK AT IT FOR OVER 6 MONTHS NOW. WAIST OF MONEY.

Date created: 2011-05-17 Name: D. Shultz
Location: Cleveland, OH

"Comfortmaker"
I have had this unit for 24 years and had 3 service calls. Two calls were for low Freon and one was for the water drain got clogged. The two that needed Freon cost about $200 to repair for each. The clogged drain was less then $100. This unit still cool the house. If I needed another unit it would be a Comfortmaker. When I bought this unit it cost $1,500 installed.

Date created: 2011-04-16 Name: Florida

"Installation matters"
Comfortmaker. This is a review of the 2 ton r22 unit model WCA3242gkr1. Only the outdoor unit was replaced. We have had it for a few days and things are working well. I think a proper installation, with good soldering and pressure check and vacuuming and coolant insertion, is the key. Afterward I put seal compound on the threading of the coolant valves and screwed the caps back on. I plan to do a pressure check after a few years and refill up to 80 psi of freon. If the unit malfunctions I will write a new review of that here. Don't think that will happen.

Date created: 2011-03-06 Name: Larry
Location: Charlotte, NC

"17 years old and still running"
System has been fine for 17 years. I have had to replace several blower motors but on the other hand the system has had virtually no service over that period. This same system was installed in our whole development and most have lasted around 15 to 20 years. The ones on the 15 year end probably did not need to be replaced and could have been repaired.

Date created: 2010-10-12 Name: VAV
Location: Independence

"Hmmmm"
Reading through the negative comments it sounds to me if you have a problem with a machine that early on then you problem is most likely with the person doing the work. One thing most people dont understand, even many contractors(sigh), is that you MUST pull a vacuum to 500microns to remove all moisture when installing a refrigeration system. Other wise the refrigerant will be contaminated and become Acidic. the acid eats away at the electric motor of the compressor untill it shorts out. The only other way you would have coil leaks that early on is if your unit was damaged somewhere in the shipping. Ask your contractor if you can See his Vacuum Guage!

Date created: 2010-10-06 Name: Zilla
Location: Texoma

"Well it's not all bad"
Epa laws have changed and copper from china is not very good and a lot of companies have switched to aluminum coils to try to correct the problems.. goodman coils the last 3-4 years have been almost as bad as Rheem... ok maybe just as bad but I have had more problems with comfortmaker heaters than coils and compressors. bottom line is none of these companies make equipment to last 20 years anymore because there is no money in making things last that long. the money isnt in making you happy the money is making you have to spend it. the more electronics they put on a unit to make it more efficient the more there is to go wrong the more time and money you spend to have it fixed. I wish we could go back to the day's when you buy and AC\Heater and it last you 20 years but that just is not going to happen. ICP (comformaker) rooftop units from 9 years ago are some of the worst. out of 6 units on 1 rooftop I have had to fix leaks in all 6 of them...I am still working on fixing them that is how bad they are.. but on residential coils.. they break down as often as any of the rest of em. I live in Texas believe me in the middle of summer I work on em all...

Date created: 2010-09-19 Name: Jim Northcutt
Location: Hurst Tx

"Business Owner"
I own 2 Wingstop restaurants in N Tex. Opened 1st in Jan 2000, 2nd Mar 2003. As of Sept 2010 we are installing our 5th commercial AC unit in these 2 small spaces. In our 1st store we are in the process of replacing a 4 year old Comfortmaker unit that has a failed coil. All equipment in this location was new. Carrier 1st then Comfortmaker now Lennox goin in Mon/Tues. The failed coil this time is not even available IF I wanted to spend $4500 to replace what I feel is junk. A few HUGE companies seem to own all the brand names in the HAVC industry. They have cheepened their product to a point of total worthlessness but to live in TX requires AC. I will never buy another product with the name Carrier, Trane, Comfortmaker on the side. Looks like I need a Harvard lawyer to figure out what product they do not make. I thank God I do not have to make my living selling scrap and calling ir commercial AC equipment.... Disgusted in Tx.

Date created: 2010-09-16 Name: P. Jackson
Location: Bristow, Virginia

"Just a pile of junk!"
My husband and I moved into our new home with a comfortmaker A/C unit in June 2007. This summer we had to replace ALL of the major components at the expense of nearly $5,000. Shortly after that, two of our neighbors (same builder and same A/C unit) experienced similar problems. The replacement coils ended up being defective and compromised the compressor - again. Needless to say both of these parts are being replaced again and only two months later. I strongly urge anyone reading this review to stay away from the comfortmaker a/c units. They are poorly made and are very unreliable.