Consumer Reviews of Comfortmaker central air conditioners

Read more about Comfortmaker central air conditioners

Date created: 2013-06-20 Name: L. Freil
Location: Woodstock, GA

"Failed Evaporator Coils in Two Systems"
A friend installed two new Comfortmaker A/C + gas systems just over three years ago. The systems have been well maintained with annual cleanings and checks by the installation company. At the beginning of the cooling season, one of the A/C units was not producing any cooling and the second was weak. Both units have developed cracks in the evaporator coils causing low refrigerant levels. One system was reading 10psi on the low side. The coils are under warranty, however labor is not covered. Having two system fail in the same location on the coils is a design flaw, not a random failure. I would not recommend this brand to anyone purchasing a new system. Note: The units are manufactured by United Technologies Corporation and share parts between the following brands: Carrier, Bryant, Tempstar, Comfortmaker, Heil, Arcoaire, KeepRite, Day & Night.

Date created: 2013-05-19 Name: Carla Nolen
Location: Illinois

"Don't Buy One"
We bought one as it was recommended by a guy we've dealt with for years. It worked for a few seasons. Then it froze up. All the freon leaked out. The guy came back and filled it. Cost more than $200. Within two weeks it was gone again. Filled it again. Same thing. Then he said it needed a new A-coil. Had one of those put in. We paid out right at $1,000. That lasted about a month. Then he said "Well maybe it's a leak. Tested and no leak. Filled it up again and it still comes out. So now he thinks maybe it's a leak where the vents are in the attic. Think all he wants. He was supposed to come back this winter and check in attic but he didn't show. We'll buy another brand before we spend another dime on this.

Date created: 2013-05-17 Name: M. Graham
Location: Rockaway, NJ

"Don't Buy Comfortmaker"
Had two Comfortmaker AC units installed 1/24/2012. They worked for one season. By April 2013 neither unit worked because the coils leaked out all the freon. Installer won't respond. Comfortmaker takes no responsibility for diagnostics or labor after one year and will reimburse for parts only if installer requests it, and new AC company's distributor hasn't been able to locate replacement coils. Model CXA630GKA100 no longer listed on Comfortmaker's product list.

Date created: 2013-04-17 Name: K Ranson
Location: Tampa, FL

"Crazy People"
I used to worked in Air Conditioning in Florida for last 10 years. I know one thing for sure is that Comfortmaker is quality equipment. I stumbled upon this site to get a homeowners perspective of Comfortmaker and must say that I am surprised to read so many negative comments. However, having read so many reviews on this site, my only conclusion is not the equipment but the homeowners ignorance. A contractor has a preference on the equipment he installs. This is due to the fact that he gets a better price as his buying volume is higher. If he is a Trane dealer, he will be unfamiliar with Comfortmaker and do his best to sell you new equipment that he does sell. All equipment comes with 5 year warranties, and when registered they are extended to 10. That is standard practice. So anyone that says they only have 5years was misinformed by the contractor they chose. Comfortmaker is part of United Technologies, who own Carrier. Comfortmaker comes off the same production line as Tempstar, Heil, Keeprite and Day & Night. Itís all identical equipment rebranded for marketing purposes, which also means the parts are all interchangeable. So any contractor that says Comfortmaker parts are tough to get hold of is completely misinforming the homeowner. That doesn't sound like a very reputable contractor to me. A contractor needs to sell themselves and recommend equipment they know to be of good quality. Of course, not every piece of equipment will be perfect, bad luck is not a myth. But if a contractor claims he can't find the problem and $600 down the line says you need a new unit?!?! It's quite easy to spot the fool. Get informed and find out reviews about the contractor you intend to use first, that way you can trust the equipment he recommends. If you have a Comfortmaker unit that is acting up, find a Comfortmaker dealer. They will laugh at the phrase that Comfortmaker parts are hard to find. Don't be an ignorant Homeowner.

Date created: 2013-04-11 Name: Walid
Location: Holly Springs NC

"DO NOT BUY SH*T"
We had an old unit of house. When it broke, we decided to get brand new one so we do not have to deal with it for years. After I got the contractor who recommended comfort maker to rip us off. He charged me $5,000 for whole thing and since that day we had all kind of problem with it. Fun, blower, motor, refrigerant...etc. We installed this piece of shit in 2008. Every day I had an issue with Air Conditioning. My wife and I had fought a couple of times because of this unit. As of today summer 2013 the unit did not work (of course) I called the repair man who told me that there is an issue with it that cannot be repaired or I must spend up to $4,000 to fix it. I got screwed getting this unit. If you read this I advise you all DO NOT GET COMFORT MAKER. I repeat DO NOT GET COMFORT MAKER. I wonít let anyone I know to get this unit (garbage). I am so angry, that this is going to be a personal Vendetta. I will tell everyone that Comfort maker is a horrible unit. It should be called Stress maker.

Date created: 2013-04-03 Name: P. Maloney
Location: Chicago, IL

"Love it!"
ComfortMaker is part of Carrier. Love the ten year warranty. Bought this 3 ton unit when the 2 ton unit the builder put in was hit by lightning. Efficiency went from 10 seer to 14 seer at the same time. This unit can actually cool my home and makes almost no noise! The hvac contractor recommended it. My house is now cool, quiet and my electric bills have dropped significantly even with a rate increase.

Date created: 2012-07-11 Name: Larry S
Location: Piscataway, NJ

"Uncomfortmaker"
I had a comfortmaker systems install in 2004 and had problems soon after. Jayson out of union New Jersey is the worst. Don't buy this product, it is okay to pay for a big name brand.

Date created: 2012-07-06 Name: Colleen Holderman
Location: Centreville, MD

"Homeowner"
We have dual zone sysem and bought our brand new house five years ago. Already having to replace one, our neighbor had to replace his last year. What happened to good quality? Now we are replacing it during the heat. Plan to upgrade to a different brand.

Date created: 2012-06-29 Name: C. Kozak
Location: Shelby Township, MI

"Only lasted 6 years"
We replaced our 20 year old furnace and a/c in July, 2006. The a/c stopped cooling in June, 2012, and the tech put in 4.5 lbs of freon costing $66.50 per pound, plus a service call cost. Two days later, it stopped cooling again. The tech diagnosed it as a leak in the condenser coil. Our choice was $1500 to replace the part or $1700 to replace the unit. Parts have a 5 year warranty and our unit was a few weeks shy of being 6 years old. Shouldn't an ac last more than 6 years? This is just wrong. I would never buy another Comfortmaker product and tell everyone I meet about my bad experience.

Date created: 2012-06-17 Name: J Zivnuska
Location: Panhandle of Florida

"Two out of three lasted less than two years!!"
Bought three units in 2010 for my home in Florida. One required total replacement last winter. Warranty covered parts, I was out $800 on labor. Now #2 interior fan is out. Been out 12 days. No repacement parts available. This product is horrible. I had Rheems that lasted 12 years in the same house on the beach in the Panhandle. I have Rheems in Tucson that are 12 years old. But Comfort Maker doesn't last 2 years and they cannot be repaired due to lack of parts availability. And they are actually in business. Why?