Consumer Reviews of CARRIER central air conditioners

Read more about CARRIER central air conditioners

Date created: 2013-08-01 Name: Dan Cummings
Location: Daphne AL

"Worst AC Ever"
We have two FC4DNF048 Carrier AC units in a fairly new home that today is 5 years old. So far, one unit has stopped cooling twice as the original coil rusted out after 3 years and had to be replaced a year and a half ago. Now that replacement coil is leaking rusted out after 1.5 years. Now for the second unit, its motor crapped out 4 months ago and parts had to be replaced. You would think a new home with two units could be more reliable. We are now looking to replace the entire unit that has coil's rusting out and leaking. It will not be a Carrier. Looking at paying more and going with a Rheem or something other than Carrier.

Date created: 2013-07-02 Name: Eddie Duggan
Location: Dallas, TX

"Carrier Outside Unit Last Four Years!!!!"
We replaced one of our outside central air conditioner units with a new Carrier in 2009. The unit stopped working last week (end of June 2013). Our AC repair guys just told us the condensor coil had developed leaks and would need to be replaced. This unit had a one year warranty, so no help there. Four years is ridiculous for this unit. We have two other units for the office, one of which has lasted at least thirty years!

Date created: 2013-05-21 Name: p.c
Location: Plymouth, MI

"Not so Good"
Got new system from Sears in 2005. Coil start to leak in 2012, then control board went out(2012). This year, the system failed again, compressor needs to be replaced. Very disappointed.

Date created: 2013-05-13 Name: N. Ladak
Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada

"Cost of Parts Ridiculous!"
Bought a home with a Carrier furnace and air conditioner. Initially, I was thrilled because I personally bought a Carrier AC in my last home and no issues for 10 years. Within 2 years at the new home, the AC broke down twice each time on the hottest day of the year. This year (3rd year), tried again and it wouldn't come on. My repair man said the refrigerant is leaking and it would cost $1,900 to replace the part, plus labour for $2,400. It is a 3 ton unit and a new one goes for $4K. Ridiculous.

Date created: 2013-05-12 Name: Thomas I. Smith
Location: Visalia, CA

"Poor Quality"
After 4 years and 11 months, I now have to pay nearly $900.00 for labor repairs to a unit that has a 5 year warranty for parts only. This unit cost over $8000.00 5 years ago. It is now 95 degrees outside my home and I cannot get the unit to get the inside temperature down to even 80 degrees. If the parts that are replaced last no longer than 5 years, you will hear from my attorney.

Date created: 2013-05-07 Name: M. Courtney
Location: Charlottesville, VA

"Carrier is Crap"
Had a 2-ton, 15 seer Puron Carrier a/c installed in summer 2006 by an incompetent Carrier dealer. The coil failed in 2009. Carrier HQ was rude, nasty, and unconcerned. With the help of a relative in the HVAC business in Kentucky, I got a coil under warranty but had to pay installation labor. In 2011, 3# of R410 was added but a tech could not find a leak. April 2013: coil leaking badly. A non-Carrier HVAC company was told by Carrier that they would honor only 1 year of the 5-year guarantee. I called Carrier and it agreed to honor the guarantee. Labor and R410-A will cost me about $1,000. Now 7 years into ownership, I will have replaced 3 coils and spent $2,000 in repair bills to keep this junky a/c operating. Buy anything but a Carrier. Carrier a/c units are defective. My nephew works as a Carrier tech for industrial units; he says the coils are failing every couple of years and recommends a tin or aluminum coil. I expect that Carrier will send another copper coil. I hope I can move before this new coil fails. I am going broke. The Trane dealer told me I'd be sorry. He was so right.

Date created: 2013-04-25 Name: joan wilson
Location: Pennington, NJ

"Infinity system"
Junk! I had it installed in May 2004. The refrigerant started to leak after the 5 years warranty was up. I used to replace refrigerant every year since then. Just found out that the coil was bad and the manufacturer is out of business. Carrier has a poor customer service and never initiated a re-call. They couldn't help us. Do not buy Carrier.

Date created: 2013-04-17 Name: ziggy
Location: Niagara Falls, ON

"NEVER again - total JUNK!"
2 ton residential unit with Puron. Never made it through a single summer without breaking down at least once. Refrigerant keeps leaking out; no help from Carrier; lots of excuses; poor service...the dealer who installed it went bankrupt and the new service dealer is full of lies. 5 year warranty runs out this summer. Unless you want more stress in your life or you enjoy losing $$, stay away from carrier garbage!

Date created: 2013-04-10 Name: B Pioveson
Location: Benton, Il

"Extremely poor quality"
Air conditioner coil developed refrigerant leak in the first three years of operation. It was replaced (at owner's expense) with a new Carrier brand coil. That one lasted only 18 months before developing a leak. Just ordered a complete new air conditioner system. It WON'T be a Carrier.

Date created: 2013-04-03 Name: W. Simon
Location: Lebanon

"Carrier is JUNK"
Dear All, I am actually wasting my time to write a negative review about my Carrier central air conditioning units. I have installed 3 in my apartment - 1 for each bedroom and 1 for the main salon. I have had issues ever since they were installed and Carrier's after sales support has been horrible. It has been 1.5 years now and during the winter they do not heat properly, and during the summer they do not cool properly. I have contacted and complained to Carrier locally, regionally, and internationall and nothing has been resolved. The units are low quality as they started manufacturing in China and in Egypt. The Egyptian made units and completely defective and the Chinese somehow works a little bit. Other brands such as Acson (made in Malaysia), have proven to be of much better quality including their customer service. I urge anyone reading over this review not to go with Carrier air conditioning units. they're days are over