Consumer Reviews of CARRIER central air conditioners

Read more about CARRIER central air conditioners

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>

Date created: 2008-09-23 Name: J. JACKMAN
Location: Tucson, AZ

"CARRIER A/C"
We paid extra when our house was built to upgrade to a higher seer than was standard with the house. We have been very satisfied with the unit. other than service calls for a seasonal check we have had no problems. the other homes in the area who did not upgrade are not as satisfied as their units have to work harder to keep the house cool. as a result, their air conditioning bills are twice what mine are. sometimes folks are unhappy for reasons that are really their own fault by not doing the research to actually see what a/c is appropriate for their square footage.

Date created: 2008-09-10 Name: Irene Thiel
Location: San Diego, CA

"Unhappy Camper"
Spent $3300 in 2003 for a brand new Carrier A/C unit. Rarely home, so the actual usage has been minimal, but every time it gets hot my A/C doesn't work. I have had numerous service calls, and then this year the condenser goes out on me, one month short of the five year warranty. However, that doesn't seem to matter because the condenser isn't covered under the five year warranty! So now I have to buy a new condenser or just start over with a new unit, when I should have been able to rely on this product for many years - I am not a happy camper!!!!

Date created: 2008-09-03 Name: Ruether
Location: Davis Spring, Austin, Texas

" Carrier Air conditioning unit 2002 model"
We built this home in July 2002 and the Carrier A/C unit is not cooling and working properly and has slow leak last year we replaced a coil because of this in the other unit and now they found a pin sized leak in this unit and its only 6 years old. I thought A/C units last longer than that . DO NOT BUY CARRIER or buy an new home with Carrier Air conditioning units.

Date created: 2008-07-20 Name: M. Follette
Location: Round Rock,TX

"Carrier Review"
We did not choose a Carrier, our builder did. It only came with a 1 year warranty on labor and 5 year warranty on parts. It quit working the 2nd year after it was installed. After many visits, the Repair Company found a leak in the coil, replaced that part and now it is not working again. It is ridiculous that I have to pay any amount of money to have this piece of junk fixed when it is barely 4 years old. It has never worked properly and I am so frustrated. Do not buy one of these pieces of total junk.

Date created: 2008-07-10 Name: Brian
Location: Fresno, CA

"Carrier 48SX024-60"
Have had a Carrier 48SX024-60 "Dual-Pack" roof unit for 11 years now. No major problems, some weak areas I and my A/C tech have noticed, insulation comes loose inside the furnace section. Has to be reattached with screwed down plates or aluminum duct tape. Condenser fan/coil design is questionable, it is a "pusher" design with the fan/shroud pushing air through the coils then out past the compressor and out the other side. Condenser coils must be kept clean or compressor shut downs will occur (especially in 100+ degree weather). All newer designs have a "puller" fan design. 11 years with no R-22 loss.

Date created: 2008-07-09 Name: R. Miller
Location: Arlington, TX

"Texas 1979 Carrier 38GS"
This central 3 1/2 ton, A/C - furnace was installed when the 2200 sq ft house was built in 1979! It is finally (last summer and this) not able to cut the mustard, will only cool us to 80 degrees last summer and this summer, and our bills were high - probably a 6 Seer if we're lucky. (Therefore, I am shopping for a new system.) My very experienced HVAC friend sees some design flaws in the way the system was installed, and in the furdown system (rather than ducts) in this house; that could have improved its efficiency. Other than that, who can argue with 29 years of service? After reading reviews on many different units, I feel lucky to have had one last this long; and it is with intrepidation that I purchase another. They don't make 'em like they used to.

Date created: 2008-06-26 Name: J. Johnstone
Location: Sacramento, CA

"Happy with my choice."
I have a Carrier 38tra seer 13, 4 ton split unit, that is working great so far. On 100 degree days, it is in the low 70's in my house and would go even lower I think, if I was willing to pay a higher electric bill. I think if you don't do your homework and pick the right company to install your system correctly, you are only asking for trouble. A good unit with a bad install is no better than a bad system.

Date created: 2008-06-23 Name: G. Ahrens
Location: Omaha, Nebraska

Purchased a Carrier 5 Ton air conditioner 3 years ago with the new house. Coil is leaking already and I'm paying over $500 in labor to replace the part which is under warranty. Repairman said this was common. 3 years? What a piece of junk. Carrier should pay for the labor if they want to stay in business.

Date created: 2008-06-19 Name: C. Oster
Location: Champaign/Urbana, IL

"I could build a better one"
My unit came with a spec house I bought new 4 years ago. Evaporator coil started leaking a year and a half ago. $1500 repair bill later (including new lines because they had kinks in them) I got one year out of it. This spring, condensor coil sprang a leak... in a solid copper line. Replacing the entire system, I can't keep spending $1000 a year on this thing.

Date created: 2008-01-21 Name: Newton Fawcett
Location: Hattiesburg ,MS

I have unfortunately been saddled with the Carrier Model 48SX024-060 (nearly identical to 48SS units) for 10 long years of frustration and horrible repair bills. The unit has never worked correctly from the day it was installed. The first failure was internal insulation becoming detached and blocking airflow (sloppy gluing at the factory). Next problem cropped up about two weeks after installation. The variable speed blower motor failed and was replaced under warranty. A year later that motor failed and was replaced ($600 + labor), then that motor failed. At this point i switched from a carrier dealer for service to a Trane dealer who had been a carrier dealer, but according to their service man they quit dealing Carrier units because of all the service headaches. I called the carrier dealer in McComb Ms and got instructions for converting my 600$ blower motor to a $79 one speed. At my urging, my service man made the conversion, about $600 and labor. At some point the induction blower motor also went out went out and was replaced and the carbon had to be cleaned out of the combustion chamber (about $300). After having the multispeed motor replaced with a single speed the unit worked on heat OK but was no better on cooling. From day one it was incapable of anything more than a 15 deg temperature reduction (outside temp 95 inside temp 80.) I had it checked for freon leaks, etc, but no one could find anything wrong other than the unit just did not function very well. Most recently the blower wheels have started falling apart.(They are pressed together lightweight galvanized metal-- No welds! (I've seen childrens toys that are better made) After replacing two of these blower wheels (about $250 parts and labor(mostly labor as the second wheel was replaced under warranty being only a couple months old) I called J. Johnson, President of Air Comfort systems in McComb MS and one of the State's largest Carrier dealers. He told me that he was unaware of any problems with the blower wheels but did find that Carrier had changed the part number and that there was a different wheel available now. I got the new part number and gave it to my faithful service man, Kenneth, (By then we were on a first name basis) who ordered it while I waited a week in sweltering weather with no air conditioning. Kenneth told me that they had replaced Carrier units at our large shopping mall with Trane units because of blower wheel failures and other repeated problems with the Carrier units. When Kenneth installed the latest blower wheel he showed me how flimsy the Carrier Blower motor housing was and he decided to beef it up with an added support. Then he discovered that the last blower wheel failure had bent the blower motor shaft and so the motor (now thankfully an inexpensive single speed), had to be replaced once more. This time the work was done gratis and I was not charged for parts. I guess they were feeling sorry for me, since they were a Trane dealer and not responsible for this piece of Carrier crap. Let me just summarize by saying that I have considered talking to a lawyer to see if i can recover anything from Carrier for what they have put me through. This Carrier self-contained unit is by far the lowest quality, high-priced product i have ever encountered. There is a bright side to the story though: I have saved some of my friends who were on the verge of having Carrier equipment installed from making that mistake. I will never buy another Carrier product as long as I live. What a total piece of junk. Oh, I should add that i had to install a couple of cheap window A/C units to supplement the pathetic cooling of the Carrier. The window units work just fine, and I can buy 50 of them for what I have invested in the Carrier Unit so far!. I noticed that on this site the only good review of Carrier came from a Carrier dealer -- how objective is that!

<< Previous1234567891011121314151617181920Next >>