Consumer Reviews of CARRIER central air conditioners

Read more about CARRIER central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-07-29 Name: T.Wilson

"Carrier Unit"
We purchased our house new in 2004. It came with two 3 1/2 ton units. First year, upstairs condenser went out, and then the coils went bad - these were both fixed under our homeowners 1 year warranty. Second year, the downstairs condenser went bad, but we had purchased the extended warranty at that time so it was mostly covered. After this, our upstairs condenser started to make so much noise; it woke us up at nights and our neighbors complained. When the service people looked at we were told 'that's normal'. So we decided to wait for it to finally break. One year went by, all seemed to be doing well (other than the noise). Fourth summer - my children complained of it being too warm upstairs. Went outside, and saw that the upstairs unit was frozen up. Called the repair person, we had a leak in the coils. Our coils were still under warranty, but not the labor. In addition, Carrier no longer made the coils that went with our condenser, so we had to purchase a capacitor to make sure our condenser could handle the load. Three weeks later, we have to replace the fan on the same unit. Basically, in less than 5 years, we have had 5 different things go wrong with our carrier units. We will NOT be getting another carrier. Our neighbors have carriers as well, and both their coils have leaks. We are not happy with the units at all. We are saving up to replace the units completely, as it looks as if it will save us money in the long run.

Date created: 2009-07-28 Name: P Williams
Location: Michigan

"Reliability not too good"
For the base carrier unit: In just under 6 years the unit is tripping the breaker. The cause is the compressor which is now bad according to the carrier technician. So just after the 5 short years and the end of the warranty period the unit is now overheating and needs replacing. Previously I thought Carrier was one of the better units for a/c but after this experience this doesn't seem to be the case. Especially since we live in Michigan and this a/c unit was not used too often.

Date created: 2009-07-28 Name: A. Wirgler
Location: AZ

"Carrier=Junk"
5 years I have had this unit. Bought a brand new home. I have had to replace the fan motor, welded 3 leaks not to mention the amount spent on Freon. Every ac person claims these units are a piece of junk. It vibrates and sounds like you are on the airport runway. Last night the condensor went out do not buy a carrier! In az you get these units w/ your "new" home. Story after story from people spending endless $ on the units! Carrier has been less that helpful the must contract there own team to refurbish and replace parts so it will break down again! I am very unhappy! (That not the word I want yo use but...

Date created: 2009-07-27 Name: Gillespie

"Mrs."
We have the Carrier model 38ycc and have had a service agreement with a local company since the unit was installed in 2004. a few months after purchase the calibrator was malfunctionting - this was a quick repair. In Feb.2005 faulty wiring caused the compressor itself to blow and thankfully that was replaced under warranty. Yesterday, July 26, 2009 the unit quit working, it was the dual capacitor. The company replaced it, now the calibration is off and I am waiting for the repair man to return. In 5 years I would not expect so many problems with a unit. My parents own a dual unit that did not need service for 15 years. Additionally, I pay for a maintenance agreement annually in hopes of keeping the unit in top working condition.

Date created: 2009-07-16 Name: Fred Jenkins

"Works well"
Bought this unit 12 years ago, this summer the evaporator rusted out and leaked the refrigerant so it kept freezing up. The dealer I bought it off retired and sold his business to another dealer that doesn't have a sterling reputation. So I found another honest dealer who replaced the lines and evaporator and cleaned my condenser outside. Said it looked good and should last a good while longer. The inside evaporator that rusted wasn't a Carrier brand, which I didn't realize at the time. I'm happy with Carrier.

Date created: 2009-07-14 Name: E. Jennings

"Retired pilot"
Installed two 38vj split systems in 1982, one 2 1/2 ton for mid-level rooms, and one 3 1/2 ton unit for bedrooms. Zoned ducting for day/nite use. The 2 1/2 ton unit quit after a severe storm cause an electical outing last month. I think 27 years is all I can ask for this unit. The 3 1/2 ton unit is still plugging along and is now cooling the whole house, though not as good in the middle rooms. There is another story about the furnaces. I had nothing but problems with them from the beginning, and finally replaced them in 2004 with Lennox brand. Will never have another Carrier furnace, but like the AC'S.

Date created: 2009-06-30 Name: D.Dean

"Best central air ever...."
Have a 8 seer unit built in the 70'S. Just now have to replace it as they no longer make the parts for the delay switch. Cooled the house beautifully in the summer. Only needed one freon charge since we moved in 7 years ago. I don't know if they made these things better in the 70's, but I'm replacing my Carrier with another unit.

Date created: 2009-06-24 Name: radiomaven

"48GP 13 SEER packaged unit"
Bought this thing a few years ago to replace an older 8 seer r22 unit. Ever since day one, the unit did not cool the house as well as the old unit did. I complained to the installing dealer and they said "it's normal" After service calls,with no results, I got one servicer to correctly diagnose an obstruction in the drier, causing high head pressure and high compressor operating temperature. Tried to get Carrier to cover the unit under warranty (since the unit was defective from the factory)..FORGET IT..Carrier does not give a damn about it's customers. You have to sue these people to get them to do what they are supposed to do.. That's what I'm in the process of doing now..

Date created: 2009-06-21 Name: Ms. Frustrated

"Not worth your money."
I purchased a brand new home with a Carrier central air unit in 2007. By the summer 2008 the unit failed to operate right after my 1 year labor warranty expired. First it stoped blowing cold or hot air. Then the motor went bad along with the control boards. Parts not available and Carrier is no help Costing me about $500 to fix problems on a unit that's just 2 years old.

Date created: 2009-06-20 Name: Liz M.

"1 star"
We are just not happy with our Carrie a/C. Too many issues and still does not work well.