Consumer Reviews of CARRIER central air conditioners

Read more about CARRIER central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-07-14 Name: E. Jennings

"Retired pilot"
Installed two 38vj split systems in 1982, one 2 1/2 ton for mid-level rooms, and one 3 1/2 ton unit for bedrooms. Zoned ducting for day/nite use. The 2 1/2 ton unit quit after a severe storm cause an electical outing last month. I think 27 years is all I can ask for this unit. The 3 1/2 ton unit is still plugging along and is now cooling the whole house, though not as good in the middle rooms. There is another story about the furnaces. I had nothing but problems with them from the beginning, and finally replaced them in 2004 with Lennox brand. Will never have another Carrier furnace, but like the AC'S.

Date created: 2009-06-30 Name: D.Dean

"Best central air ever...."
Have a 8 seer unit built in the 70'S. Just now have to replace it as they no longer make the parts for the delay switch. Cooled the house beautifully in the summer. Only needed one freon charge since we moved in 7 years ago. I don't know if they made these things better in the 70's, but I'm replacing my Carrier with another unit.

Date created: 2009-06-24 Name: radiomaven

"48GP 13 SEER packaged unit"
Bought this thing a few years ago to replace an older 8 seer r22 unit. Ever since day one, the unit did not cool the house as well as the old unit did. I complained to the installing dealer and they said "it's normal" After service calls,with no results, I got one servicer to correctly diagnose an obstruction in the drier, causing high head pressure and high compressor operating temperature. Tried to get Carrier to cover the unit under warranty (since the unit was defective from the factory)..FORGET IT..Carrier does not give a damn about it's customers. You have to sue these people to get them to do what they are supposed to do.. That's what I'm in the process of doing now..

Date created: 2009-06-21 Name: Ms. Frustrated

"Not worth your money."
I purchased a brand new home with a Carrier central air unit in 2007. By the summer 2008 the unit failed to operate right after my 1 year labor warranty expired. First it stoped blowing cold or hot air. Then the motor went bad along with the control boards. Parts not available and Carrier is no help Costing me about $500 to fix problems on a unit that's just 2 years old.

Date created: 2009-06-20 Name: Liz M.

"1 star"
We are just not happy with our Carrie a/C. Too many issues and still does not work well.

Date created: 2009-06-04 Name: G. Hazelbrook

"Leaks freon and breaks down constantly"
Every year we have to add freon because of leaks in the coil and in five years we've had four repairs for defective parts (fan,contractor, capacitor and vavle). We have spent almost as much in repairs as we did to have this piece of junk put in! Very unhappy!

Date created: 2009-05-24 Name: Chuck

"Very Dependable"
Parents own a 2-year old luxury townhome with dual-zone central a/C. The house has two 13 seer builder-grade air-conditioners and two gas furnaces, which work awesome! The furnaces are a little loud, but the air-conditioners are very quiet. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another Carrier product.

Date created: 2009-05-07 Name: ecwingen

"LOUDER THAN OLD UNIT!"
Just had a 3 ton 12/14 seer package unit installed; is energystar model for the tax credit. It cools the house ok, but it is louder than the 20 year old Amana it replaced! The compressor makes a horrible buzzing sound that we can hear throughout the house. It makes your teeth vibrate and produces a headache in a matter of minutes. We were told the unit would be no louder than a new refrigerator, which was a big lie. The neighbors have complained already; they never complained about the sound of the old unit.

Date created: 2009-02-21 Name: Unhappy in North Florida
Location: North Florida

"Nightmare in North Florida"
Carrier Infinity - Just don't do it. Replaced 2 units with 2 Carrier Infinity ..... only one of the old units was broken. Assured our power bills would go down 50% .... and they WENT UP over 33% in KW usage and more in $$$. Perhaps I'll contact the parent company, United Technologies. I suspect the parent company does NOT have a clue how many DISSATISFIED and DISGUSTED customers they have. What a way to ruin a Brand Name like Carrier. Our service provider stalled and stalled on getting an appointment with the Carrier Rep - still hasn't happened yet, the appointment was postponed. With a BAD installation, you might as throw your money down a rat hole. Oh, yeah, Carrier, the manufacturer, doesn't really stand behind their product. They pass you off to the Carrier Independent DISTRIBUTOR. That's like GM or Ford ignoring their warranty obligations and you having to rely on your local dealership to HONOR the warranty. Oh, yeah, the unit is VERY LOUD.

Date created: 2008-12-30 Name: Art
Location: Las Vegas, NV

"Package Unit 10 Seer"
After 13 years, finally replaced my two 10 seer Carrier package units which were builder installed in 1995. Other than replacing the control board for $550 on downstairs unit in 2007, and the upstairs unit quit heating in Dec 2008, never really had any major problems. I could have replaced the control board on the upstairs unit, but with wear and tear in the desert heat over time resulting in broken frames on the units and bearings starting to go, decided to upgrade. Switched to American Standard 14 seer, received lifetime maintenance checks, and 10 year warranty on parts and labor. Why switch? Carrier is not the easiest to fix, it took three different contractors before we found one who was lucky enough and skilled enough to figure out the control board was at fault. American Standards are a lot easier to diagnose and we couldn't turn the deal down, saved a lot compared to what new Carriers would cost these days.