Consumer Reviews of CARRIER central air conditioners

Read more about CARRIER central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-08-21 Name: Kim Knaup

"Kim knaup"
The a/c has worked flawlessly for 17 yrs.

Date created: 2009-08-15 Name: R Skidmore

"Hot in Texas"
Bought a new home that came with a Carrier Puron system, what a piece of junk, where does Carrier manufacture their product, China? In the short three years that I have been in my home I have had to replace the compressor three times and the a coil is scheduled to be replaced for a third time as well. The reason we decided to by a new home was to avoid the very problem that we are experiencing now. Also, we are not the only one's in our neighborhood with ac issues, everyone with a Carrier system is having the same problems.

Date created: 2009-08-13 Name: JHI
Location: Miami

"Carrier"
This unit is still running well after 40 years. I never oiled it and the place stays cool (I live in Miami). It probably uses more energy than a new unit, but I'm reluctant to get rid of it.

Date created: 2009-08-10 Name: george

"Bad experience with Carrier"
I bought this unit 9 yrs ago and began leaking freon in the second year. It continued to leak every year, even after supposedly being patched. I finally talked to a different outfit than the one that I bought it from and found out that the warranty would run out on the evaporator coil in 5 yrs. I contacted my repairman who put me off and finally would not return my calls. I called Carrier and was finally able to convince them to replace the coil at no charge. Well, the next year all of the freon leaked out again and continued to for the next 4 years while different repairmen told me it was one thing and then another. I finally contacted Carrier again and they refuse to give me another coil even though it was only 4 yrs old. I have contacted the Better Business Bureau and Carrier called me from New York and sent me $150 worth of repair coupons. It actually cost $300 to use the company that they recommended and I still have a leak. I will not buy another Carrier. I suggest that everyone with a complaint contact the Better Business Bureau with their complaint. You do get some action once they are involved.

Date created: 2009-08-10 Name: M. Bryant

"Carrier has poor reliability"
The Carrier unit (5 ton) in our newly built house failed (compressor) after 7 years. We replaced the entire outside unit last year and it has failed again. I'm not waiting for the third strike. No more Carrier...

Date created: 2009-08-04 Name: BOB.C

"WORST UNIT ON THE MARKET"
Replaced coil 5 years and 1 month old. now the compressor has failed. the unit is only 6 years old. I would be ashamed for designing a unit like these.

Date created: 2009-07-30 Name: S. Sommers

"Don't Buy Carrier"
Carrier warranty is not worth the paper it is printed on. Two month wait for a compressor they no longer make -- I'm still under warranty. Save yourself a headache and look at other brands. I'm investigating my legal options as the top-of-the-line units I purchased were actually end-of-life models. Apparently there was some SEER 13 regulations that took effect in 1/1/2006 and my units did not meet this rating. These regulations were known to Carrier and the local dealer at least by 3/2/2004 when the regulations were announced by the DoE.

Date created: 2009-07-29 Name: T.Wilson

"Carrier Unit"
We purchased our house new in 2004. It came with two 3 1/2 ton units. First year, upstairs condenser went out, and then the coils went bad - these were both fixed under our homeowners 1 year warranty. Second year, the downstairs condenser went bad, but we had purchased the extended warranty at that time so it was mostly covered. After this, our upstairs condenser started to make so much noise; it woke us up at nights and our neighbors complained. When the service people looked at we were told 'that's normal'. So we decided to wait for it to finally break. One year went by, all seemed to be doing well (other than the noise). Fourth summer - my children complained of it being too warm upstairs. Went outside, and saw that the upstairs unit was frozen up. Called the repair person, we had a leak in the coils. Our coils were still under warranty, but not the labor. In addition, Carrier no longer made the coils that went with our condenser, so we had to purchase a capacitor to make sure our condenser could handle the load. Three weeks later, we have to replace the fan on the same unit. Basically, in less than 5 years, we have had 5 different things go wrong with our carrier units. We will NOT be getting another carrier. Our neighbors have carriers as well, and both their coils have leaks. We are not happy with the units at all. We are saving up to replace the units completely, as it looks as if it will save us money in the long run.

Date created: 2009-07-28 Name: P Williams
Location: Michigan

"Reliability not too good"
For the base carrier unit: In just under 6 years the unit is tripping the breaker. The cause is the compressor which is now bad according to the carrier technician. So just after the 5 short years and the end of the warranty period the unit is now overheating and needs replacing. Previously I thought Carrier was one of the better units for a/c but after this experience this doesn't seem to be the case. Especially since we live in Michigan and this a/c unit was not used too often.

Date created: 2009-07-28 Name: A. Wirgler
Location: AZ

"Carrier=Junk"
5 years I have had this unit. Bought a brand new home. I have had to replace the fan motor, welded 3 leaks not to mention the amount spent on Freon. Every ac person claims these units are a piece of junk. It vibrates and sounds like you are on the airport runway. Last night the condensor went out do not buy a carrier! In az you get these units w/ your "new" home. Story after story from people spending endless $ on the units! Carrier has been less that helpful the must contract there own team to refurbish and replace parts so it will break down again! I am very unhappy! (That not the word I want yo use but...