Consumer Reviews of CARRIER central air conditioners

Read more about CARRIER central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-06-25 Name: Denny Bee

"a/c tech- Junk"
Bought second home brand new with a 3 ton Carrier unit. Air handler circuit board went bad twice, and now at 5th year to the day I closed on the house, the condenser coil leaked and Carrier refused to replace the part because my electric was turned into my name 2 weeks earlier. So out of warranty! Bull!

Date created: 2010-06-23 Name: Larry Mullins
Location: South

"Carrier 3.5 Ton Unit"
My Carrier Model 38brc042330 is a 3.5 ton unit that was builder installed. It's a base model with a 5 year warranty. It operated well for 7.5 years before the evaporator coil gave out. It's an r-22 unit, so it will not be economical to start repairing it now that parts are hard to get. A new coil will cost me 2 grand installed. The only prior service required was to replace the condenser motor capacitor. I think the unit should have done 10 years minimum. The other unit I have is a Carrier 2 ton unit that is the same age and still working. Their units work hard in the South and I think 10 years is all you can expect.

Date created: 2010-06-22 Name: Teresa Propeck

"A Lemon Air Conditioner from the start"
Our Carrier Puron unit started to need service the second year of use. The supplier warrantied it every year for the first three years and then would not any longer. Last year, we paid nearly $500 in repairs and this year went with a different repair company. We paid another $418. Now, the unit has completely shut down. It has to be replaced. I cannot believe we, as consumers, are expected to replace such high dollar services every five years.

Date created: 2010-06-08 Name: Joanne
Location: Las Vegas

"Piece of garbage!"
I purchased my home brand new 3 years ago. It came with a Carrier Central a/c unit. Every year, for 3 years, it goes out. Always a different problem and always in the midst of torturous Las Vegas heat. Last year when the tech came out to repair it, he said that he'd already done the same repair on 4 other houses in my neighborhood. It seems like we got defective units or something which of course the builder will do nothing about now that the 1 year home warranty is up. Our a/c is currently on the blink again. This time, they say it's a faulty txv and we have to wait for a part. It's 115 today and it's already been out for 2 days. Frankly though, with this piece of junk we are used to it. Every summer, we have at least 2-4 days with no a/c due to this inferior product. Next time I buy a home, I will go out of my way to make 100% certain that this brand is not what is installed. For those that want to say it's because we live in extreme temps etc., my parents bought their home out here 9 years ago. There were a ton of problems with their builder to the point that there was a class action suit filed. The materials used in their home weren't exactly high quality and they have never once had a problem with their a/c and they have never done one ounce of maintenance on it either.

Date created: 2010-06-04 Name: HVAC Man

"HVAC tech and love my Carrier!"
My Carrier (Payne) gas pack is probably over twenty years old and in the years I have owned the house, has only needed a condenser fan motor and a squirrel cage. That's saying a lot when it's over 100 much of the summer here. I used to not really like Carriers but I think I'd buy another tomorrow for my personal home. And I have been an HVACR tech since 1978!

Date created: 2010-06-02 Name: G.M. Brown

"5 ton Carrier AC lasted less than 8 years"
A local dealer with an excellent reputation installed a 5 ton Carrier AC in the summer of 2002. Installation was apparently good, and subsequent service was good. In September 2008, the unit lost all of its coolant. When we turned it on this spring (2010), it had again lost all of its coolant. As the cost of repair will be approximately $2000, the dealer recommends a new unit, and I agree, but it won't be a Carrier.

Date created: 2010-06-01 Name: Aggrevated

"Carrier 38TKB042 Unit"
One year after warranty condenser died, Carrier felt that they will not be responsible and five years is the only guarantee regardless of the use. I live in the northeast. My guess is they were once a good company who is now producing less than steller equipment.

Date created: 2010-05-25 Name: AHM

"EXCELLENT AC unit !"
This is an amazing piece of engineering. The unit was installed in 2000 and it is now 10 yrs. later and we just had our first service done to the unit. The compressor broke down and we now have to replace it. Yes, we had a reputable contractor install it, and you "cannot just pick up anybody of the street." You need a knowledgeable contractor and licensed, to make sure you will get the job done. Probabilities are, that we will be installing another Carrier since we lasted 10 yrs. with this unit. We live in Las Vegas and our temps. are extremely hot in the summer. That should say a lot about this brand.

Date created: 2010-05-05 Name: L. Tran

"Carrier Home Air Conditioner"
I bought a new townhouse and it has 2 units of Carrier Air Conditioner. Both were a piece of trash. I got so much problems with it. Last year, it cost me around $2000 to get the repair to fix and troubleshoot what the problem was. What the hell is wrong with Carrier? Both unit ran low on freon and both had problems with pipe frozen. Townhouse is only 6 years old and I have to fix the damn Carrier every year. Does Carrier think I am Bill Gates or Steve Jobs or what?

Date created: 2010-05-04 Name: Marc Paul

"Marc from Canada"
Oops! I am 100% happy with this unit. And with our extreme weather patterns, that's a vote of confidence!!