Consumer Reviews of Armstrong Air central air conditioners

Read more about Armstrong Air central air conditioners

Date created: 2016-10-21 Name: Mike F.
Location: Knoxville, TN

"5 Tons of Junk"
My wife and I built our home in 2003. We oversaw everything about the build except the heat/air pump installation. Big mistake. Our contractor said he would take care of it. He took care of it alright. He had a 5 ton Armstrong unit installed. We have had nothing but trouble for 13 years. For the first 10 years, the parts were covered under warranty, thank goodness. We had almost every part in the outdoor unit replaced, including 3 or 4 compressors. Since the warranty ran out I have had to pay for one compressor and it just failed, lasted two years. Numerous leaks and failures and untold amount of money spent. I should have had it replaced but we have been busy raising our family and paying for cars and colleges and the Armstrong was the least of our worries. We just patched it every 6 - 8 months. Now we have a wedding to pay for and we are taking another $1,500.00 hit for another compressor and capacitor. Next spring, hopefully, I am having it replaced and I am personally going to destroy the piece of crap! Don't buy an Armstrong, period.

Date created: 2016-09-21 Name: Cesar Lazon Sifuentes
Location: Dallas, TX

"Pitching noise"
I just installed at home a 5 ton split system Armstrong 20 SEER 4SCU20LX160P-1. The next day I noticed some vibration and pitching noise. In addition, when the unit is not cooling I heard a hummm noise on the electronic board. According the sales person they said it is normal, but the vibration noise needs be fixed with a new part on the fans. I do not accept the explanation about the pitching noise because it is not normal on an electronic device that controls the compressor. I will be contacting the supplier to fix the problem. My recommendation is stay away from this brand. Just to complete my review, the evaporator coil has damage and is scratched. When I called the supplier they told me, if the unit is not presently leaking, it is not a problem. How about the quality control of this unit? They sell junk HVAC units? If somebody has the same bad experience please let me know, because I will continue with my claim and report to the authorities about this brand.

Date created: 2016-08-08 Name: Donna Aubrey
Location: Valparaiso, IN

"Check warranty before buying"
5 year old unit. Had a stress crack in an elbow. It caused all the refrigerant to leak. It was fixed under warranty but I was responsible for new refrigerant at $430. I will never buy another Armstrong product. Customer service was no help.

Date created: 2016-07-21 Name: T C
Location: Conroe, TX

"18 years strong"
I have had this unit for 18 years and never needed a repair until this week. Replaced fan motor and capacitor on the outside unit.. Running strong again. I know this unit is getting to the end of its years. When I do need to replace it I will get another Armstrong or Lennox as they are the same company.

Date created: 2016-06-28 Name: K. Tocke
Location: Canon City, CO

"Disappointed for sure"
Had this installed to my furnace less than a year ago. This year it worked one week, then no cold air. The contractor sent his staff over to fix it and turns out they did not install the correct thermostat. They put a new thermostat on and it worked for one week, and now, again, no cold air. I have called the contractor and am trying to get this fixed, again. It is over 100 here and I have no A/C and paid over $3000 for the unit. I wish I had read the reviews first - would not have purchased this brand. The contractor was recommended by my realtor but has screwed up so many jobs that she no longer recommends him.

Date created: 2016-05-30 Name: hot and broke
Location: Kansas

"Electric bill doubled!"
I was told that with a new furnace our electric bill would be cut in half. Ummmm no. Our bill has doubled since the unit was installed. Summer is now here and we kicked on the AC portion of the unit - does not do a thing. The temperature in our house has risen, not fallen. Very disappointed.

Date created: 2016-04-12 Name: Brian
Location: St. Clairsville, OH

"A review by an HVAC professional"
My name is Brian and I have been working in the HVAC field for over 11 years now. I have been the owner of my own business for 3 of those years, and do sell Armstrong equipment. I was very disheartened by the negative reviews on this brand. I have read most of the reviews and believe that it was poor installation and poor maintenance that was the cause of most of these issues. I cannot stress enough that a big decision in buying your next furnace or A.C. is not about the brand, so much as it is the company who you trust to install, service, and repair it. Every HVAC brand will fail, that is a fact. That does not make it the brand's fault for failure. All the parts that make up the unit are not manufactured by well known brands like Rheem, Lennox, or Bryant but are manufactured by a third party company that sells their parts to any and all HVAC brands out there. I am not defending Armstrong, because they do not need defending. All I am saying is that I would install this in my own home, and I would not sell anything that I couldn't say is good enough for me and my family.

Date created: 2015-04-23 Name: W. Stewart
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

"Absolute junk"
Bought 2 complete systems. 4 years after installation one unit lost its charge. Servicemen were not able to locate the leak. It leaked out again and the leak was located in the condenser coil. The 5-year warranty had just expired and the factory refused to repair it, even though it had failed prior to 5 years. I'm out $1100 to repair it. The other unit lost its charge after 6 years and found the condenser coil had a leak also. The factory said the warranty was expired and refused to help. Two systems and two bad coils. They now say they have increased the warranty to 10 years, but still refuse to help. Get real, this is a tube with fins on it. There are no moving parts. They either have a bad process or are using substandard parts. I'm going to be out another $800. The people who sold the units to me will eat the install cost. They say they will not sell the units again. Plan to report Armstrong to the EPA and Consumer Product.

Date created: 2013-11-20 Name: John Thomas
Location: OKC, OK

"Blame YOUR Tech!!!"
Getting proper and certified techs installing your equipment is the key!! Like one other person wrote, if the equipment is not properly installed, any brand will have a failure at some point. And if you think that something that takes the abuse your heating and cooling system does and last 10 years without any problems, your being a fool to begin with. I have Armstrong equipment installed 3 years and have had a bad capacitor on the condenser fan motor, so it's junk right?? Wise up people, get several estimates and a good tech pay the little extra for the right service and quit going with the cheaper bid. You will get what you pay for!!!

Date created: 2013-07-29 Name: Jean-Guy Beaudin
Location: Saint-Eustache QC

"Split System Air Conditioner"
After only 3 years and 11 month old, the compressor started to make noise. I wrote to Allied Air Enterprises and they said: The Warranty is good for parts only, but I have to pay for the delivery and transport and the installation and the labor, refrigerant, shipping charges or a replacement unit. And to replace the compressor will cost $450.00.