Consumer Reviews of Armstrong Air central air conditioners

Read more about Armstrong Air central air conditioners

Date created: 2015-04-23 Name: W. Stewart
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

"Absolute junk"
Bought 2 complete systems. 4 years after installation one unit lost its charge. Servicemen were not able to locate the leak. It leaked out again and the leak was located in the condenser coil. The 5-year warranty had just expired and the factory refused to repair it, even though it had failed prior to 5 years. I'm out $1100 to repair it. The other unit lost its charge after 6 years and found the condenser coil had a leak also. The factory said the warranty was expired and refused to help. Two systems and two bad coils. They now say they have increased the warranty to 10 years, but still refuse to help. Get real, this is a tube with fins on it. There are no moving parts. They either have a bad process or are using substandard parts. I'm going to be out another $800. The people who sold the units to me will eat the install cost. They say they will not sell the units again. Plan to report Armstrong to the EPA and Consumer Product.

Date created: 2013-11-20 Name: John Thomas
Location: OKC, OK

"Blame YOUR Tech!!!"
Getting proper and certified techs installing your equipment is the key!! Like one other person wrote, if the equipment is not properly installed, any brand will have a failure at some point. And if you think that something that takes the abuse your heating and cooling system does and last 10 years without any problems, your being a fool to begin with. I have Armstrong equipment installed 3 years and have had a bad capacitor on the condenser fan motor, so it's junk right?? Wise up people, get several estimates and a good tech pay the little extra for the right service and quit going with the cheaper bid. You will get what you pay for!!!

Date created: 2013-10-09 Name: B. Vickers
Location: baton rouge, LA

"Loving It"
Had to get a new system for my house, and we love it. My electric bill went down 27%. System is working fine and we are loving it.

Date created: 2013-07-29 Name: Jean-Guy Beaudin
Location: Saint-Eustache QC

"Split System Air Conditioner"
After only 3 years and 11 month old, the compressor started to make noise. I wrote to Allied Air Enterprises and they said: The Warranty is good for parts only, but I have to pay for the delivery and transport and the installation and the labor, refrigerant, shipping charges or a replacement unit. And to replace the compressor will cost $450.00.

Date created: 2013-07-23 Name: J Levesque
Location: Knoxville, TN

"Air Conditioning Leaking Freon"
We had our heating/air conditioning unit installed 18 months ago. This is the first hot summer since then and the air conditioning unit is leaking freon. The installer said that, it was due to cheap copper tubing being too thin. Tried a sealant which worked for about a week. What to do now, replace the unit with a Trane???

Date created: 2013-07-07 Name: Guy that got ripped off
Location: Chicago, IL

"Junk and Awful Customer Service"
Unit died after 2 years. They put a band aid (hard start) to fix the problem. I've learned that a hard start is used to keep a dying unit going for another year or 2. Unfortunately, I got 3 years of use. The first summer outside of warranty, the unit didn't work. Trying to call customer service is a joke. It's nearly impossible to talk to a real person and as soon as you do, they know nothing and send you to a voicemail of someone else. They never call back of course. If you're still unsure about the unit, just try getting a hold of someone in customer service. At least you know if something goes wrong what will happen.

Date created: 2013-01-05 Name: Pat O'Grady
Location: Amarillo, TX

"Poor quality and longevity"
I replaced my 24 year old 5 ton a/c and Heating unit less than 5 years ago with an Armstrong brand under the recommendation of the installer who said it was a good brand. Last summer I had to replace the compressor unit that burned up. It took Armstrong a week to ship a replacement compressor and it cost me $1,500 for the labor, other parts, and freon. Now, in the middle of winter the blower motor has burned up. Obviously, this a poor quality unit that I would not recommend. I plan to replace this entire unit soon with hopefully a more reliable brand.

Date created: 2012-12-18 Name: Jackyl
Location: Nothern NJ

"PROPER installation is KEY!"
I read the same reviews over and over. People bashing the equipment and company who makes the equipment. Now I'm not saying that every company don't turn out a lemon every now and then because they do. Anything built by humans is subject to human factors relating to failure. But most of these failures can be traced back to poor installation and lack of maintenance! Most all a/c units look different on the outside, but share the same components on the inside. Compressors made by Copeland, service valves made by Parker, fan motors made by Emerson. From the lowest quality brand to the highest, they are all made with other company's components. Please be sure that you get someone who is a good installer and knows the equipment they install and service. Just like going to a quack doctor can be bad to your health, a bad tech can be a disaster to your hvac equipment!

Date created: 2012-11-08 Name: roger
Location: lawrence, ks

"Two units working fine"
I have a duplex, built in 2001 with Armstrong units on both sides. This is the first year they needed service, one had low freon, the other just a little low. Units work great but are a bit undersized and run all day on very hot Kansas summer days.

Date created: 2012-10-01 Name: Barron Triton
Location: Las Vegas, NV

"ARMSTRONG HEAT PUMP DIES IN LESS THAN 2 YEARS"
I bought a 15 seer, 4 ton armstrong heat pump in Dec, 2010. Last week the compressor died. Thats 22 months of usage. In the last 22 months, 2 circuit boards fried. a run capacitor had to be replaced. a condenser fan motor had to be replaced. Nothing but problems. I called the company/installer who I bought the unit from. I had a 5 year written "no lemon guarantee" from them. Their guarantee stated, "If the compressor fails within 5 years from the install date, we will replace the entire unit at no cost to the customer" . When I attempted to exercise that guarantee, the company owner balked and stated he never authorized the "no lemon guarantee" that his sales agent provided me with. After a firm & terse letter from my very competent and extremely expensive attorney's, the owner wisely reconsidered and is replacing my armstrong garbage unit with a brand new maytag unit. The owner told me that his company no longer sells armstrong units due to the inordinate number of service call backs that his techs have had to deal with. do not buy an armstrong heat pump unit. you will regret it!