Consumer Reviews of Ameristar central air conditioners

Read more about Ameristar central air conditioners

Date created: 2019-07-25 Name: Kevin W
Location: Tempe, AZ

" Donít waste your money"
Bought this unit for the rental property I have had nothing but problems with it during the first year they only offer a 90 day warranty as far as paying the repairman to make their repairs so far in 13 months Iíve had a new compressor, a new reversing valve and this weekend theyíre going to put on a new throttle valve (some kind of checked valve) The next time the thing breaks Iím going to replace it please donít waste your money do not buy in Ameristar

Date created: 2019-06-02 Name: Kim Green
Location: Jacksonville, FL

"Do not buy"
I just had this unit installed late February 2019 to early March 2019. The system is not working properly. Iím very upset. The unit is not maintaining the inside temperature. And the compressor is constantly running😐. I called the installer. They will be out first thing in the morning. In the meantime, my tenants are burning up. I never wanted to go with this unit. But the installer ensured me I would not have any issues. I will be calling Ameristar first thing tomorrow morning. I havenít even had the unit 3 months and Iím already having issues. This is not cool‼️
Date created: 2019-05-15 Name: C. Dix
Location: Arizona

"Beware"
My Ameristar unit was installed in April 2017. I had it serviced in April 2019 and guess what? The coil is leaking the refrigerant. This was within the 2 year warranty of this company by about 3 weeks. The first technician quit the day after he was here and never wrote up the visit report. Now it's been a major hassle with this HVAC company trying to get them to do the right thing. They finally decided to waive the labor cost and replace the coil as if in warranty. They are quoting me 800- 1000 to add the refrigerant. I'm seeing it on Amazon for $4.00 a pound. Finally, this is a piece of Chinese junk and I'm hoping I can at least get this paid off before I have to purchase another ac. It won't be Ameristar, or Trane either.
Date created: 2019-01-02 Name: FHF

"Worked for 18 Mos; requires Repair"
Unit worked fine for about 18 months, before the motor died. Ameristar will replace the motor which is still under warranty but will not cover the cost of the labor to install the replacement for part that failed. My view is that if the unit performed as it should, the part shouldn't have failed and thus we shouldn't have to pay to install the part. About $200.
Date created: 2018-10-03 Name: A Bown
Location: Tucson, AZ

"Works as it should!"
I purchased this unit from an online wholesaler. I installed and commissioned it myself. My duct work was crap, so I spent an extra 500 bucks to get that straightened out. Reading the install directions, I found that Ameristar requires a low, if not very low, vacuum reading. I purchased the needed meter and set out to connect it all up. Had r22 before and this one was r410. Needed a bottle of refrigerant. I cleaned the lines twice, and applied a vacuum 3 times with nitrogen in between because the pipes had been open to the air for 3 months. Got it down to 50 microns and left it there for a day. All was well, so I opened the valve and proceeded to commission the system. Because of my line set distance, I had to add about 1 pound for the line set. I installed a surge arrestor at my panel, one at the compressor and one for the vfd furnace. Way cheap insurance. Lost my garage door opener and the main board was more expensive than a new opener. Yep, my garage door has a surge arrestor on it now. Minor adjustments, and the unit picks up the load and runs. I am building my last home and will probably use Ameristar again. I tend to be anal about anything relating to refrigerant. An excellent vacuum is needed on new equipment. Reading off the gauges just does not cut it any more, at least not my gauges. This is not rocket science, but paying attention to details will solve a lot of issues. Newer equipment is built to a tighter standard. If you're willing to do it the way we did in the last century, you're going to be disappointed in the results. Like others have said installation is 98% of the job. A good mechanic is required. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell when your system is broken and it is hot, or worse, cold.
Date created: 2018-09-01 Name: B Crow
Location: Dallas, TX

"Disppointed with quality"
I own a number of rental properties and have replaced numerous hvac units. The only one that has repeatedly failed during the warranty period was an Ameristar condenser unit. First the fan motor (we paid for labor, the part was covered), and then the condenser itself (again, part covered, labor not). We decided not to even bother with the compressor due to the labor cost, and just junked the unit for a new unit of another manufacturer. I notice most of the favorable comments come from states in the Midwest or northern parts of the US. Perhaps those units can perform under modest loads, but ours sure did not stand up to Texas summers. These units are "cheap" (less expensive) for a reason. Poor quality hurts my reputation - I will never buy another of their products.
Date created: 2018-08-31 Name: S Gates
Location: kansas

"Crooked all around"
To the manufacturers of this unit, I hope you all catch the clap. Your product is nothing more than a Chinese scam forcing honest Americans to fork over thousands of dollars a year to fix a product that should last longer than the warranty. My unit is four years old and between Rubes and Steuders, neither of them can fix my system. I've had the leak fixed only to have it leak out all my Freon in less than a month. The air barely blows and I'll soak a filter in an hour clogging my unit. Heat roughly worked during the winter and now I'm literally cooking in my house. This company needs a class action lawsuit to put them out of work for good and an embargo on all cheap Chinese parts. I'm tired of being raped by the repair man for a product that shouldn't need to be repaired, but once a decade.
Date created: 2018-07-23 Name: Jim
Location: Oklahoma

"Lasted one month past warranty"
Worked until one month past 5 year warranty! I checked the unit over and discovered that one of the 3 capacitors, yes 3 caps, no longer registered. I checked the contactor, which was well worn, and sanded the contacts. Called in the service tech that installed the unit and he was able to boost enough Freon to start the compressor, but discovered either the crank or rod was bad in the compressor. The unit is not American made, but is a cheap Chinese junk. Buying quality next time!
Date created: 2018-03-20 Name: Oliver Wade
Location: Clearwater, FL

"DO NOT BUY!!!!"
The air handlee they installed didnt work. Which was a red flag... The system seemed to run fine for about two weeks and now is down again.... Now the nightmare of getting parts from customer service. By far the worst HVAC experience of my life.