Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-11-11 Name: J Hull
Location: Pittsburgh PA

"Very Cool - Cooling System"
I installed a matched American Standard unit this past summer. I installed an Allegiance Ultimate 16 SEER unit with a two stage compressor and variable speed motor inside. It is also a communicating unit so you can control the unit if on travel and temperatures fall outside of the tolerances you set. The unit is quiet and very efficient. The second stage of the compressor does not kick in unless it is extremely hot and humid. The variable speed inside makes it much quieter than my old unit. In addition I can use the recirculating feature that runs the fan at a very low speed to keep air moving inside and reduce demand and temperature swings. Very, very comfortable inside. I would highly recomend the Untimate Allegiance models.

Date created: 2010-10-26 Name: Linda Clark
Location: La Belle, Fl

"Series 13"
I had a 1 ton Lennox for five years in my home I built in 2001 and never had a service person out to repair it. In 2006 I added a 500 sq ft addition and was told I needed a bigger AC because the room addition was not cooling well. I was sold a 2 ton American Standard in 2006. The room does not cool off any better and I have had it quit working three times. One time it iced up, another time the compressor went out. The compressor was under warranty, but it cost $150.00 labor and two days of no a/c to fix. Now the compressor is out AGAIN in less than four years of ownership. Don't buy this product unless they give you a five year parts and labor warranty. Since I am sure they won't, I am getting a more reliable A/C unit...not American Standard.

Date created: 2010-09-22 Name: N. Stephens
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

"Low quality American Standard blows out after only 14 months"
I paid $8000 to have a brand-new American Standard air-conditioner in July 2009. In September 2010, only 14 months later, it blew. I'm sitting here with no air-conditioning and haven't heard one word from American Standard. My AC guy is taking photos to send to them in Dallas, so I believe I have entered a big, bureaucratic process. I don't think these guys at American Standard HQ in Dallas care one bit about me - I see no evidence of it. Dear American Standard Corporate Executive: It's 100 degrees outside and the equipment that I paid you for doesn't work. How about some action?!!

Date created: 2010-09-17 Name: MIKE W

"AMSTD"
I love my new unit. I had a carrier unit before, finally after 2 compresser I put in and 15 seer American Standard system. I called 2 contracter, one offered financing and 10 parts and labor warranty. Im very happy with the equipment and the contracter.

Date created: 2010-09-10 Name: C.Heim
Location: Metairie, LA

"A/C"
Complete new units (compressor and air handler) installed 7/19/2010. On 9/9/2010, freon escaping from coil = no A/C. Not even two months old and it "springs a leak." TERRIBLE!!!

Date created: 2010-08-12 Name: Peter Neidecker

"Squeals like a stuck pig"
I bought two Allegiance 16 a/c units for our house; one for each floor as the house is large. The upstairs unit is as quiet as a lamb while the downstairs unit squeals like a stuck pig. The dealer hasn't a clue why similar units have such different noise levels and American Standard ignores my emails through their web site. I am guessing it is an installation problem, but getting American Standard tech support is impossible and the only American Standard dealer in our area is giving up. I would buy something else from someone else if I could do it over.

Date created: 2010-07-30 Name: Richard Thomasson

"Piece of crap"
We had this junk ac put in three years ago and every year it breaks down. Tech says my dog chewed thru the wires outside (twice) and I had to pay over $400 for this repair which American Std does not honor on their warranty. Serious design flaw. They should design these units to prevent this from occurring. Totally worthless piece of crap.

Date created: 2010-06-28 Name: Tom Welsh

"Air Conditioner problem"
The installing dealer has replaced the contactor each year since new (under warranty). The problem is bugs getting into the contactor causing it not to close. Last year, the contactor was replaced with a 'bug proof' unit. The same problem this season. I have to pay a service call each year. The local rep. for American Standard has advised me to seal the areas around the contactor or call someone to do it. Again, I'm paying and paying for a design flaw. My adivse is to steer clear of American Standard.

Date created: 2010-06-27 Name: Josh Perkins

"American Standard"
I have 3 rent houses. In every one of these houses, the ac has gone out. I have replaced all 3 houses with an American Standard complete system. So far, it has been a good investment. No problems at all. I just replaced the ac in my house with a dual stage ac unit and heater and enjoying the ac in this Houston humid climate.

Date created: 2010-06-21 Name: Joe Never Again A-Standard

"Ice cold air"
3 years ago I installed a 13seer A/C complete American Standard with propane burner heat. I cannot stress enough the importance of using a reputable installer. The rest over promise and under deliver, try to cut corners, ie by using smaller copper lines than recommended to save themselves $75 on a 6,000 deal and thereby are willing to screw the customer for a few extra dollars. Installing a two speed unit but jumping the terminals to one speed to avoid running a 4 wire instead of reusing the 3 wire thermostat wire. Ridiculous! I am here brand shopping because the unit is disappointing. The compressor already needs a hard start pack installed and the dealer says it may need a compressor. The air mover has alway been noisy and vibrates, shaking the silverware on our kitchen counters. It appears the bearings are going out on the blower so I am waiting on a squirrel cage and motor. There is a tremendous amount of corrosion I am told outside. Read one here about how a-s uses aluminum coils and they corrode and leak if dogs pee on condenser. I don't have a dog but service guy said he had never seen corrosion like this on a newer unit like this. The outside finish on this unit goes away fast. It looks 10 years old from the sun. Would not recommend A-Standard or going with the small dealer unprofessional crews. $6000 wasted.