Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2012-11-01 Name: John Hudson
Location: St Pete, Florida

"Do your research"
First of all, I would like to say to all of the unhappy consumers posting here... Your installer and/or installing company is at fault. Consumer reports rates American Standard over Trane and any other manufacturer. I have installed and serviced all brands over the past 27 years. Carrier... Major piece of crap and expensive! Keep in mind people, even if your "bigger companies" have been around for 30 years, most of their installers have on average, 3-5 years experience installing. Technology has changed and most installers have no proper schooling. Also, I would not let an installer do the initial start up on my system... I would leave that to a trained service tech. There is more to start up than just opening the valves and turning the temp. on the thermostat down. As far as leaks... Haven't had a problem with American Standard at all. Pressures on new 410a systems are twice as high as the r-22 and most installers are terrible at soldering! Also, upon initial start up, the tech must wait 15-20 minutes before adding 410a so the refrigerant can pass through the txv (expansion) valve and equalize. 27 years in the field and would not let today installer touch my system. So, to all those out there that are unhappy with the best rated brand of air conditioning... Sorry, find a new company with skilled professionals.

Date created: 2012-10-15 Name: Lisa Geraghty
Location: Weston, Florida

"Two 6 year units faulty at the same time"
We purchased 2 3-ton a/c American Standard units 6 years ago, and both units are now leaking in numerous areas of the coils. 1400.00 for an evaporator coil replacement, 813.00 for the Compressor coil replacement, I'm not even convinced this will solve and be fixed. Now we just got done with the one unit, and the other one is not working. This is insane, and I am completely on board for a class action law suit.
Date created: 2012-10-06 Name: N Mar
Location: PHX, AZ

"Total CRAP"
First coil had pinholes in it, replaced with new coil but spent $1200 in install costs. 15 months later a/c guy has to put in two pounds of refrigerant and says there is a thin sheen of oil in pan. its leaking again and out of warranty. These bastards need a class action lawsuit.
Date created: 2012-09-18 Name: G. Lewis
Location: Northern, CA

"Installation Counts!!"
After reading many of these reviews, I have noticed that most of the problems mentioned are more install issues, or a result of, than American Standard brand issues. We are a licensed hvac contractor and choose to be an American Standard Dealer. We have dealt many brands including Ruud, Bryant, and Westinghouse, but choose American Standard because of the reliability and quality of manufacture. It is important to note that no equipment is going to last forever, especially if it is not properly installed and maintained. You cannot run your car forever without getting an oil change!! We have had few manufacturing issues with American Standard. The distributors are not always the best, but as dealer we protect our customers from that. We do service all brands of hvac units, and in doing so I have dealt with warranty issues on most all of them. The standard "parts only" warranty is pretty prevalent across the board. It is up to the individual to choose a reputable installer. Remember in your research that the install counts just as much as the product!
Date created: 2012-09-13 Name: M. Gilbert
Location: houston texas

"Dislike"
I have a 3 ton unit that is about 6 years old. I have replace the coil, the fan, the capacitor etc. over that time and think I could have bought and paid for another brand (Carrier etc.) with less repair costs. I have two units, both 3 ton, and one is a York that is more than 12 years old and still functions very well and is efficient. The American Standard is hopeless! Like an airplane - a hole in the air that you put money into! I don't like it and will never buy another!
Date created: 2012-08-29 Name: CC Rey
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"What a piece of Garbage!"
We bought a Trane/American Standard ac unit in 2004 thinking that Trane had a good reputation (ha!). After 4 years we have spent more than $2,000 on repairs, specifically leaking evaporator coils. We are on the 4th set of coils now (the 3rd set lasted only 6 weeks). Our licensed contractor, who was nice enough not to charge us any service costs, said Trane uses defective coils. I'm thinking "Class Action" lawsuit!!!
Date created: 2012-08-20 Name: mary johnson
Location: fort worth tx

"Ms Mary Johnson"
I purchased my unit in 2006 since then we have spent over $3,000, in various repairs, control board, leaking freon and now it needs new coils among other parts. I purchased it because I researched ac's and believed the hype, it is really a piece of junk.
Date created: 2012-08-17 Name: Chuck Farina
Location: Anaheim, CA

"Suppose to be one of the best......not!"
This has been going on for quite some time now. The unit worked the first 4.5 years. Then it developed a leak losing all of the coolant. The company that did the install could not find the leak, so they put in a product called "Stop Leak" and refilled the coolant. Cost to me $1,000.00 dollars on top of the initial purchase of $8,000.00 for the initial instal of the furnace and ac, plus some room balancing. What the "Stop Leak" did, was to get it working for another year, which put it 6 months past the labor warranty. This spring I invited them out for a spring tune up. They noticed that the coolant was very low again. Then the compressor start to turn on and then turn off right away. After awhile it completely quit turning on. They got it running again, but only for a month or two. The factory decided at that point to replace the coil and the compressor. The tech. just left, and it quit working. Here's the problem. If you look on this web site at any other manufacturer, you will find that the majority of people are not happy with their product. Why? Parts are assembled or built in China, Mexico, etc. It's all junk. Check out Trane, Carrier, Lennox, etc. they all have the same problems.
Date created: 2012-08-09 Name: william robert thornton

"12 SEER Gas Pack Las Vegas"
I replaced a failing roof mounted Gas Pack with an American Standard in 2002. The unit operated for a few years but never really did the job efficiently. Cost of operation increased every year as the cooling ability of the equipment declined. During the past two years we averaged 800.00 repair bills. Now the compressor has gone out and this would make our third repair in four months. I'll be selecting another manufacturer's equipment.
Date created: 2012-07-28 Name: Home Owner

"Unit 29 years old"
After 29 years the unit finally got a leak. After seeing new units fail in a couple years I'm thinking of fixing this one and not buying a new one! Anything new now a days are just junk. They don't make stuff like they used to.