Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2012-08-29 Name: CC Rey
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"What a piece of Garbage!"
We bought a Trane/American Standard ac unit in 2004 thinking that Trane had a good reputation (ha!). After 4 years we have spent more than $2,000 on repairs, specifically leaking evaporator coils. We are on the 4th set of coils now (the 3rd set lasted only 6 weeks). Our licensed contractor, who was nice enough not to charge us any service costs, said Trane uses defective coils. I'm thinking "Class Action" lawsuit!!!

Date created: 2012-08-20 Name: mary johnson
Location: fort worth tx

"Ms Mary Johnson"
I purchased my unit in 2006 since then we have spent over $3,000, in various repairs, control board, leaking freon and now it needs new coils among other parts. I purchased it because I researched ac's and believed the hype, it is really a piece of junk.
Date created: 2012-08-17 Name: Chuck Farina
Location: Anaheim, CA

"Suppose to be one of the best......not!"
This has been going on for quite some time now. The unit worked the first 4.5 years. Then it developed a leak losing all of the coolant. The company that did the install could not find the leak, so they put in a product called "Stop Leak" and refilled the coolant. Cost to me $1,000.00 dollars on top of the initial purchase of $8,000.00 for the initial instal of the furnace and ac, plus some room balancing. What the "Stop Leak" did, was to get it working for another year, which put it 6 months past the labor warranty. This spring I invited them out for a spring tune up. They noticed that the coolant was very low again. Then the compressor start to turn on and then turn off right away. After awhile it completely quit turning on. They got it running again, but only for a month or two. The factory decided at that point to replace the coil and the compressor. The tech. just left, and it quit working. Here's the problem. If you look on this web site at any other manufacturer, you will find that the majority of people are not happy with their product. Why? Parts are assembled or built in China, Mexico, etc. It's all junk. Check out Trane, Carrier, Lennox, etc. they all have the same problems.
Date created: 2012-08-09 Name: william robert thornton

"12 SEER Gas Pack Las Vegas"
I replaced a failing roof mounted Gas Pack with an American Standard in 2002. The unit operated for a few years but never really did the job efficiently. Cost of operation increased every year as the cooling ability of the equipment declined. During the past two years we averaged 800.00 repair bills. Now the compressor has gone out and this would make our third repair in four months. I'll be selecting another manufacturer's equipment.
Date created: 2012-07-28 Name: Home Owner

"Unit 29 years old"
After 29 years the unit finally got a leak. After seeing new units fail in a couple years I'm thinking of fixing this one and not buying a new one! Anything new now a days are just junk. They don't make stuff like they used to.
Date created: 2012-07-27 Name: BOB KIRKPATRICK
Location: LAS CRUCES NM 88011

"WARRANTY IS CRAP"
I have been building custom homes for 25 years. I only purchase the very best equipment. I have purchased 4 units in the last year. because of the higher seer american standard (trane) has come out with. the company only covers some equipment no labor. this is really a joke, the labor is the big part of the repair plus the r 410 freon. how would it be it be if you took your new car in for repair and the company only paid for the parts not labor. the repair replaced a defective txv valve had to tear the unit apart to sweat the new copper valve on. I will only purchase carrier in the future, the very seldom fail. I have some that have run for 14 years.
Date created: 2012-07-16 Name: Bill F.
Location: Washington, DC

"Not Great"
Purchased two new systems in spring 2004, began experiencing problems with the Condensing Units in 2011 (7 years). One case the capacitor failed and another case the fan motor burned out and both motor and capacitor had to be replaced. Would likely try a different brand next time as I generally haven't been that pleased with the output.
Date created: 2012-07-11 Name: Brad H
Location: Chicago IL

"Proud customer of American Standard"
First off I am a proud customer of American Standard products in my home. I am also a service engineer for an American standard dealer I am not employed by American Standard. I have read a lot of problems here concerning equipment. Most are silly.I am reminded just how much people don't understand the design installation and maintenance of hvac systems. In this business you get what you pay for and it sounds like a lot of you payed for shotty installs and missized systems not a s fault. Again I don't work for them. You as a customer should never have to contact as yourself your service dealer if repeatable should take care of you from year one to ten and beyond. So where are they I ask some of you. I Have read about condensers being damaged by dogs, hahah yeah that happens to every manufacturing of ac units copper or aluminum. Now you may have a part warranty, if labor is not covered the service company not american standard might charge your labor to repair, this is true for carrier and most manufacturer. If it is under warranty your company should cover (freon) but it is individual company's that make that call not American Standard. If your dog or other rodents chew wires that's not a design flaw and again every manufacturer has the same problem and not covered by warranty. Now the major problems listed can be related to install problems i.e overcharged systems, incorrect coils, incorrect refrigerant used systems not being evacuated properly line size to name a few and yes even a few manufacturer related problems. These All go back to who installed it. American Standard does not install or service anything they just make the systems and ship them out.There customer service is excellent if you are a contractor. It is true of every major brand they don't want to talk to you they want to deal with a professional who is working on your behalf, and if they are not, time for a new service company. Listen things break that happens but if the reason is never found it will break again. So befor you come down hard on any brand of field installed system, do your math ask questions challenge people and their knowledge it will make a world of difference now and later. You can have a Roles Royce put togeather by the lowest bidder and sold at any lot but you might as well just buy any car from a lot.
Date created: 2012-07-03 Name: J Vohs

"Piece of crap"
5 years old and quit working--$2000 to fix--JUNK
Date created: 2012-06-22 Name: R. Trezza
Location: South Plainfield,NJ

"Scrap It"
Had this unit installed three years ago, unit needed freon had to pay 200.00. Went home yesterday with temperature 105 with heat index inside house temperature was 83 degrees went outside tried to cool unit with a hose didn't work, went over to unit an gave it the old Fonzie slap and low and behold unit turned on American Standard should stay in the toilet bowl business because this unit is a piece of s--T.