Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2011-11-16 Name: Disatisfied in Dallas
Location: Texas

"Dissatisfied in Dallas"
I purchased this unit in April 2011. It was very hot in Texas this summer and I never felt this unit was working efficiently. In September the system broke down while I was on vacation. Came back to a very hot home. Called on Sunday but they couldn't fix it because no parts were available. Was fixed on Monday but went out again a week later. A defective evaporator coil was the problem. American Standard does not stand by their product. The dealer bears the burden of parts and labor and customer satisfaction. Very dissatisfied. Don't believe the advertising!!

Date created: 2011-09-19 Name: Johnny Swank

"Solid performance"
Unit came with home and has never been serviced. 2.5 ton unit for upstairs in a home with no wall insulation and minimal ceiling insulation. The unit is unable to maintain a constant temperature of 74 in North Carolina summer because of the lack of insulation but not for lack of trying. The unit runs non-stop during the day and pumps out cold air and has never once had a problem...knock on wood!

Date created: 2011-09-06 Name: Tom
Location: Tampa, Florica

"JUNK"
Three years of Junk. Compressor replaced in year two for $405 in labor and Leaking Coil replaced in year 3 for $705.

Date created: 2011-08-17 Name: S. Retrum
Location: Austin, Texas

"Leaking coil on 2 1/2 year old unit"
Service called when unit stopped cooling. Serviceman found coils all iced up. When all ice finally melted a day later, he found the coil was leaking refrigerant and needed replacement. Coil was covered under warranty, but refrigerant and labor was not... cost me $1200. When I called American Standard, all they asked is if I had bought the extended warranty. They advertise reliability, but I guess that is not so, a/c units are basically "refrigerators". If Whirlpool or the other refrigerator manufacturers has these problems, they would either cover them under warranty or they'd be out of business!

Date created: 2011-08-01 Name: John Parker
Location: Houston, Texas

"American Standard AC unit"
Very unhappy with unit. Goes out 3 to 4 times a year. Have extended warranty but the company either does not return calls, tells you they are booked for 3 to 4 days, or tries to upsell you on other items not covered by warranty. Very unreliable, poorly made appliance. Unprofessional business practices from dealer / repair company as well. Would never recommend to anyone.

Date created: 2011-07-15 Name: David Beattie
Location: Edmond, OK

"A/S = poor quality"
My unit is a pos! It worked great for 2 years, then flame sensor went out. Next year the blower & control board went out. This year it is not cooling much at all. It has a 2 stage compressor, and it just runs constantly. It is not uncommon for it to run for 12 to 14 hours without ever shutting off. Service techs come out and say that everything is fine. A bunch of crap. They replaced the t-stat and it worked for 2 days. Now it is back to running without ceasing. For some reason when the unit goes into low power mode it will just not shut off even though the temp goes below the set point. I am waiting for it to blow up & then the extended warranty hopefully will replace it. Save yourself a lot of stress -- buy another brand!

Date created: 2011-07-08 Name: Joe Spinola
Location: ELIZABETH PA.

"What was I thinking"
I let someone talk me into this junk!!! Why? Last off brand unit 23 years old never serviced once until this year when she died. Brand New American Standard system AC and Furnace installed on 6/16/2011 1st service 6/24/2011 next service call was 7/3/2011 that is when the compressor went today is Friday 7/8/2011 and I am still waiting for my to be shipped over night compressor from American Standard. Their web site preaches care and reliable. And we say only Lawyers and car salesman lie. they should be sued after we buy a car to run over this piece of junk that is broke more then it works. Now i am worried what is going to happen with the furnace?

Date created: 2011-07-07 Name: Stephen jackson
Location: Dallas,TX

"Worth every penny"
I bought two units at a previous home and one unit at my present one. They cut the utility bill by 1/3. The home is much more comfortable than before and the Clean Effects really gets the lint out of the air. There was a problem with one of the units from my previous home and it was repaired the same day free of charge because the warranty was transfered. These are the best units on the market, not inexpensive, but worth every penny.

Date created: 2011-06-14 Name: charlene triplett
Location: newport news va

"We cant afford the up keep of the repairs"
I brought this unit in 2009 when I retired my husband has lung cancer. the unit goes out twice a year and now it needs a compresser the service people are very rude and unreliable

Date created: 2011-05-30 Name: Laura Grainger
Location: Daingerfield, TX

"Heritage 12"
I purchased a 10 yr. extended warranty beginning 8-10-02 on the American Standard AC unit for my new home. Good thing. Since July of 2008, I've had to call my installer so many times I have 3 full pages of documentation. I can't count the number of times I've had dinner guests and the ac stopped cooling. Yesterday was one more such time. Now the installer tells me he discontinued installing American Standard in 2006 but has honored my warranty to keep my business and that all of these house calls have been paid for out of his pocket. The warranty expires Aug. of 2012. Installer tells me that on average a unit should last from 12 to 15 years. Hmm, started having problems 6 years after installed. I have to admit that it is a quiet unit, especially when the fan's not running because it burned up and had to be replaced. 3rd fan motor was installed today. How do you like your American Standard AC unit?