Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2012-10-06 Name: N Mar
Location: PHX, AZ

"Total CRAP"
First coil had pinholes in it, replaced with new coil but spent $1200 in install costs. 15 months later a/c guy has to put in two pounds of refrigerant and says there is a thin sheen of oil in pan. its leaking again and out of warranty. These bastards need a class action lawsuit.

Date created: 2012-09-18 Name: G. Lewis
Location: Northern, CA

"Installation Counts!!"
After reading many of these reviews, I have noticed that most of the problems mentioned are more install issues, or a result of, than American Standard brand issues. We are a licensed hvac contractor and choose to be an American Standard Dealer. We have dealt many brands including Ruud, Bryant, and Westinghouse, but choose American Standard because of the reliability and quality of manufacture. It is important to note that no equipment is going to last forever, especially if it is not properly installed and maintained. You cannot run your car forever without getting an oil change!! We have had few manufacturing issues with American Standard. The distributors are not always the best, but as dealer we protect our customers from that. We do service all brands of hvac units, and in doing so I have dealt with warranty issues on most all of them. The standard "parts only" warranty is pretty prevalent across the board. It is up to the individual to choose a reputable installer. Remember in your research that the install counts just as much as the product!

Date created: 2012-09-13 Name: M. Gilbert
Location: houston texas

"Dislike"
I have a 3 ton unit that is about 6 years old. I have replace the coil, the fan, the capacitor etc. over that time and think I could have bought and paid for another brand (Carrier etc.) with less repair costs. I have two units, both 3 ton, and one is a York that is more than 12 years old and still functions very well and is efficient. The American Standard is hopeless! Like an airplane - a hole in the air that you put money into! I don't like it and will never buy another!

Date created: 2012-08-29 Name: CC Rey
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"What a piece of Garbage!"
We bought a Trane/American Standard ac unit in 2004 thinking that Trane had a good reputation (ha!). After 4 years we have spent more than $2,000 on repairs, specifically leaking evaporator coils. We are on the 4th set of coils now (the 3rd set lasted only 6 weeks). Our licensed contractor, who was nice enough not to charge us any service costs, said Trane uses defective coils. I'm thinking "Class Action" lawsuit!!!

Date created: 2012-08-20 Name: mary johnson
Location: fort worth tx

"Ms Mary Johnson"
I purchased my unit in 2006 since then we have spent over $3,000, in various repairs, control board, leaking freon and now it needs new coils among other parts. I purchased it because I researched ac's and believed the hype, it is really a piece of junk.

Date created: 2012-08-17 Name: Chuck Farina
Location: Anaheim, CA

"Suppose to be one of the best......not!"
This has been going on for quite some time now. The unit worked the first 4.5 years. Then it developed a leak losing all of the coolant. The company that did the install could not find the leak, so they put in a product called "Stop Leak" and refilled the coolant. Cost to me $1,000.00 dollars on top of the initial purchase of $8,000.00 for the initial instal of the furnace and ac, plus some room balancing. What the "Stop Leak" did, was to get it working for another year, which put it 6 months past the labor warranty. This spring I invited them out for a spring tune up. They noticed that the coolant was very low again. Then the compressor start to turn on and then turn off right away. After awhile it completely quit turning on. They got it running again, but only for a month or two. The factory decided at that point to replace the coil and the compressor. The tech. just left, and it quit working. Here's the problem. If you look on this web site at any other manufacturer, you will find that the majority of people are not happy with their product. Why? Parts are assembled or built in China, Mexico, etc. It's all junk. Check out Trane, Carrier, Lennox, etc. they all have the same problems.

Date created: 2012-08-09 Name: william robert thornton

"12 SEER Gas Pack Las Vegas"
I replaced a failing roof mounted Gas Pack with an American Standard in 2002. The unit operated for a few years but never really did the job efficiently. Cost of operation increased every year as the cooling ability of the equipment declined. During the past two years we averaged 800.00 repair bills. Now the compressor has gone out and this would make our third repair in four months. I'll be selecting another manufacturer's equipment.

Date created: 2012-07-30 Name: Does It Really Matter
Location: Fisherville, Kentucky

"Aluminum Coils are Junk"
My American Standard Allegiance-12 was installed during new home construction in late 1997 along with an American Standard Freedom-90 gas furnace, and did a pretty good job until it developed a condenser coil leak in September 2010. The leak turned-out to be a manufacture defect in the outdoor aluminum coils. The machine that spirals the tines onto the coil during manufacturing was maladjusted and scored the coil causing a weak spot in the line. Over time and vibration, the score ruptured... leaking the r22 refrigerant. I was able to unconventionally, but effectively repair that leak. However, now we have a new leak too small to detect in another location of the coil... and r22 has tripled in price. The hvac industry has proven that they can build units that will last 18 to 25 years, now they've doubled the price, lowered the quality of materials, and all of this at a time when systems require "high pressure 410a" quality. So much for going "Green" with a good carbon footprint. The new American standard is that quality is inversely proportionally to price. P.S. American Standard furnace blower motor housings are as flimsy as they can get.

Date created: 2012-07-28 Name: Home Owner

"Unit 29 years old"
After 29 years the unit finally got a leak. After seeing new units fail in a couple years I'm thinking of fixing this one and not buying a new one! Anything new now a days are just junk. They don't make stuff like they used to.

Date created: 2012-07-27 Name: BOB KIRKPATRICK
Location: LAS CRUCES NM 88011

"WARRANTY IS CRAP"
I have been building custom homes for 25 years. I only purchase the very best equipment. I have purchased 4 units in the last year. because of the higher seer american standard (trane) has come out with. the company only covers some equipment no labor. this is really a joke, the labor is the big part of the repair plus the r 410 freon. how would it be it be if you took your new car in for repair and the company only paid for the parts not labor. the repair replaced a defective txv valve had to tear the unit apart to sweat the new copper valve on. I will only purchase carrier in the future, the very seldom fail. I have some that have run for 14 years.