Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2014-04-30 Name: Dennis Waddell
Location: Talbott, TN

"Single Packaged Two Stage 4 Ton Heat Pump"
I had installed this unit 5 years ago and it has been nothing but trouble ever since. 1. The compressor went bad 2 years ago. I discovered that the extended warranty I had purchased had not been filed by the installer. American Standard replaced the compressor but I had to pay for the labor and Freon, close to $1000. I had to sue the installer for the warranty. 2. The Thermostat went bad. 3. The defrost board had to be replaced. 4. The Freon leaked out and they couldn't locate the leak. 5. I am now informed that there is a leak in the evaporator coil and it is out of warranty. I am having the unit replaced. This is without a doubt the worst A/C unit I have ever had the misfortune to own.

Date created: 2014-01-08 Name: Ben Castera
Location: Miami FL

"Nothing but trouble"
I would not recommend buying the high tech machines. They cost more and every time there is something they have to get the parts from the factory!!! I cannot believe that American Standard does not have a decent set of parts somewhere in South Florida!!! My problems so far have been: - defective thermostat (remember this is a high tech machine that talks to the various components therefore you cannot use any normal thermostat) - Freeze switch (and I am in Miami!!!) - now motor of the indoor unit And the unit has never been removing humidity like it was supposed to do... in fact it is dripping water.

Date created: 2013-09-05 Name: mike
Location: st. louis

"Aluminum Coils"
Trane American Standard tells you that aluminum coils are efficient. Don't fall for that line of crap. It's just much cheaper than copper, plus they are prone to leaks and cannot be field repaired. The spine fins which I call fuzz help with the inferior heat transfer but they tend to be dirt magnets. Copper is the best by far, tell the truth ir! Copper, much more efficient, can be field repaired!

Date created: 2013-07-26 Name: Steve Jones
Location: Woodville, Texas

"Disappointed"
Had Rainey A/C of Woodville, Texas install a new unit in 2006. It leaked from day one and continues to do so. It has a 10 year warranty but the dealer just patches the unit and will not replace it. Last week, a switch went out on the compressor and today the compressor would not start. Now I have a loud buzzing from the inside unit. The dealer said that it was probably a transformer and he would be out in two or three days to see about. I will never buy another American Standard anything and for sure not from Rainey A/C.

Date created: 2013-07-16 Name: J. Solomon
Location: Austin, TX

"Does Not Honor Warranty"
Less than 5 years in the coil froze. Unknown to me, the coil is manufactured by Aspen. Aspen will not honor the 5 year warranty (says it's up to the distributor) and American Standard will not honor the warranty (because they didn't manufacture the coil, just put a substandard piece of equipment in their unit).

Date created: 2013-04-26 Name: Richard Hollinggsworth
Location: Tucson Arizona 85716

"Richard"
Iím not a complainer, usually just a little disappointed reading the reviews finding so many other people have leak issues with evap coils from 2006 as I am. I installed the Evaporator w/Cabinet last August 2012 that was designed by American standard. The evap coil sprung a leak with no sign of vibration or installation errors that could have caused the leak. Iíve always been a supporter of the excellent quality with American Standards equipment as well as Trane. They both seem to have lost their touch with what made them successful so many years sacrificing their reputation for quality trying to compete with the cheaper units. I will be replacing my evap coil this weekend and due to the work involved I wonít take a chance on another American Standard coil.

Date created: 2013-04-01 Name: Chicagos Owner
Location: Indianapolis, IN

"5 Ton AC Unit"
This unit worked well for the past 7 years and now the compressor is broken and too expensive to fix. Buying a new unit is more cost effective. I am very dissatisfied with the longevity of this particular unit. Its hard to believe a shelf life of 7 years??? I would not buy this brand again, ever!

Date created: 2013-03-05 Name: Lisa
Location: Weston, Florida

"Horrible Product bought 2 units both down."
Purchased 2 new 3.5 ton units and installed around early 2006, both ac units broke down essentially same time right after 5 year warranty on evaporator coils. One coil 1100.00, then within two months the other coil 1150.00 to fix. Then the condenser coil same time, outside, under warranty but still cost 800.00 to fix, then motor on one unit 800.00 to fix, then the heater didn't work the one day out the year you need it in Florida. never purchase TRANE/American Standard. I spent 4000.00 per unit only 6 years ago, over 4000.00 in fixes. All bad.

Date created: 2013-01-04 Name: J. Schramm
Location: Plano Tx.

"Unhappy American Standard AC Owner"
I received a brand new American Standard ac 2 years ago. Few months after it was put in I had problems, after that it has been one thing after another Low freon constantly burnt out blower, burnt out compressor and list of other things I would run out of room to list. Don't buy if you have to, get the extended warranty that's American Standard makes their money is on the warranty not their products.

Date created: 2012-11-01 Name: John Hudson
Location: St Pete, Florida

"Do your research"
First of all, I would like to say to all of the unhappy consumers posting here... Your installer and/or installing company is at fault. Consumer reports rates American Standard over Trane and any other manufacturer. I have installed and serviced all brands over the past 27 years. Carrier... Major piece of crap and expensive! Keep in mind people, even if your "bigger companies" have been around for 30 years, most of their installers have on average, 3-5 years experience installing. Technology has changed and most installers have no proper schooling. Also, I would not let an installer do the initial start up on my system... I would leave that to a trained service tech. There is more to start up than just opening the valves and turning the temp. on the thermostat down. As far as leaks... Haven't had a problem with American Standard at all. Pressures on new 410a systems are twice as high as the r-22 and most installers are terrible at soldering! Also, upon initial start up, the tech must wait 15-20 minutes before adding 410a so the refrigerant can pass through the txv (expansion) valve and equalize. 27 years in the field and would not let today installer touch my system. So, to all those out there that are unhappy with the best rated brand of air conditioning... Sorry, find a new company with skilled professionals.