Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2015-08-10 Name: Tamara
Location: Houston, TX

"American Standard is junk and the service is horrible"
I have an American Standard air handler that was put in 5 years ago. It has had the motor replaced 2 years ago, now it needs a new coil. This is ridiculous! American Standard products are junk and I will never buy anything American Standard again! It took 2 hours to find a number for them (never buy from a company who does not put their customer service number on their website). I called customer service, they were rude and augmentative. They should be ashamed to call themselves, "American Standard". Their products and service are far below American standards!

Date created: 2015-07-03 Name: Jason Sizemore
Location: Enterprise, AL

"Don't buy if you mind waiting for weeks"
You can take this review to the bank! I'm an American Standard dealer! I have a customer who purchased the XL16 split AC with modulating furnace and cased coil. Less than a year later, the indoor TXV valve starts to lose its charge and needs to be replaced. Seems like a simple fix since it's a bolt on. Well, it would be if you could get parts. I recommended this system and wished I hadn't. Anyway, I ordered the valve and had to pay the $30 shipping and handling fee for UPS. Guess what? A week later my friend/customer still doesn't have a valve installed because they forgot to finish the order and gave me some lame excuse that parts for American Standard are very hard to come by! Seriously. You sell equipment that parts are hard to come by for and you must use your parts only because of how it's designed? This is pathetic! We are going to a local dealer who can communicate like an adult. How do you claim to be the best when you can't even keep your best unit running a whole year and even then you can't get parts from your own factory for it? Anyway, my friend is celebrating Independence Day in 100 weather and using window units. They seem to be better than American Standard's best! We are celebrating our Independence Day as well! We are now free of selling American Standard equipment forever! American Standard has gone way downhill from when I started almost 20 years ago! They're not even recognizable anymore! Word of advice from an American Standard dealer - go with a local brand like Grand Air! You can get parts easy and they last about the same, plus they're much cheaper! Why pay more for less of a company when your local Lewis and Smith or Baker has perfectly good units that will last you at least ten years! After ten years of dealing with American Standard, I'd be ready to replace it anyway!

Date created: 2015-06-12 Name: Roland Bronstad

"Unhappy"
Very loud when the compressor kicks on and off. Wish I could give it back to you.

Date created: 2015-04-02 Name: M. Harrison
Location: St. Louis, MO

"Units have great warranty"
I read that the copper coil leaked. That's funny, they use aluminum. There is Ameristar that tends to be an American Standard alternative, not the same thing in A/C but the furnace is made at the same place as American Standard. All units need regular maintenance and must be installed correctly to last a long time. 10-year (12 on some)compressor, 10-year parts, 10-year coil. Looks like they stand behind their product. Find your local American Standard distributor and ask who they like. If your dealer doesn't perform well enough for you call the Better Business Bureau.

Date created: 2015-01-04 Name: Richard
Location: Riverside, CA

"Learn something"
I am an AC tech in Riverside, CA. These units are top of the line. I used to install them for a company in San Bernardino. A lot of these complaints (my unit only lasted 3, 4, or 5 years and the compressor kicked the bucket) are from crappy installations. When choosing a company, make sure you do your homework and find customer reviews. New systems should be vacuumed down (air and moisture removal) to at least 500 microns, old copper lines should be flushed out and a filter drier should be welded into the the liquid line. If not, your compressor will not last long. Also, be careful with fast-talking service technicians who try to sell you everything under the sun, including insulation in your attics. If you live in California beware of the hero program (a fat loan you pay on your property taxes for energy efficient equipment). Contractors will make you feel special, say that you qualify and then max you out on the price for your new system. And maxing you out equals 12 to 13 thousand dollars for a 16 SEER system with ducts.

Date created: 2014-11-19 Name: Timothy Smith
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

"Piece of junk"
My new unit only lasted 6 years and needed $1000 dollars worth of work on it! I tried to call the company, but they won't return my calls! I don't believe, after having paid $5,000 dollars, it needs to break that fast! My last unit, not an American Standard, lasted 25 years and was still running. I just replaced it because I thought it better be done! Big mistake! Don't buy American Standard, they won't back up the product....Junk!

Date created: 2014-09-04 Name: Kevin
Location: Central Illinois

"Satisfied"
My Allegiance 10 unit finally went out after 19 years and I just had the unit and coil replaced with a Silver 2.5t. I am told by others that almost 20 years is fantastic. I could have saved money by changing the unit only, which was r22 fluid, but had the 13 seer condenser and r410a coil replaced for long-term savings. After seeing others complaints, I hope for longevity and hope I didn't make a mistake, which I would blame on nafta and poor quality control.

Date created: 2014-07-28 Name: Grace Sheahan
Location: Mississauga, On Canada

"A/C unit - American Standard isn't very standard!"
We just had an American Standard Air conditioner installed a few months ago and have already had two service calls, as the entire a/c unit froze up, twice! The first time we woke up to water in the basement from all the condensation and the 2nd time, we found ice formed on the outside walls of the unit in our basement. We also found that when the unit starts up, it is very noisy. The unit was install by Northwood Heating and A/C and I would never recommend them either! Problem #1, trying to get a hold of someone to look at the problem, is almost next to impossible and problem #2, each technician, as we have seen several, contradicts the one before. They know very little about American Standard A/C units and in my opinion, if you don't know enough about a product, perhaps you shouldn't sell it! If you're going to go with a new a/c unit, I say stick to Lennox and go with someone more reputable for the installation.

Date created: 2014-07-25 Name: Judith Sessions
Location: St Helena Island, SC

"Rotten service"
My installer put this ac in 13 months ago. I have a bad evaporator coil..have been waiting for a part since July 2.. The ac is under warranty..and they won't ship the part -- back ordered. My installer says I have to pay for the labor, freon, etc. This is ridiculous! This company should be forced to be live up to their guarantees...but they don't care..they could not get a worse reputation by owners..what is wrong with Consumer reports.?

Date created: 2014-06-21 Name: Paul Shumway
Location: Maple Park! IL

"Condensing Unit"
Our American Standard Air Conditioner died in it's 6th year of operation. Total Junk! American Standard should stick to making toilets.