Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2016-03-24 Name: tino espinosa
Location: Houston, TX

"Compressor failure"
The compressor blew out less than a year from installation I called customer support for a labor credit. They told me there was no credit so I lost 4 hours of labor and cleaning material and extra parts. Thanks American Standard.

Date created: 2016-03-14 Name: Franklin
Location: Indianapolis, IN

"Horrible!"
This unit is horrible! I have had it 3 years and the evaporator coil has leaked twice now, each time costing $1000 to fix in labor. I have contacted the company to assist in labor fees as this is unacceptable! If the coil leaks again (which it will) I am getting an entirely new unit not made by this company. I figure that will be the most economical answer to fixing the problem. Do not buy this unit!

Date created: 2015-10-15 Name: G McNabb
Location: Cookeville

"Defective motors and will not do what they say"
I own over 500 apartments. Over 450 of them had American Standard HVAC units. I installed 124 American Standard HVAC units in a new apartment complex I was building and over the 4 years since they were installed, the motors are constantly going out. The American Standard rep originally blamed it on the electric company. We proved the electric was correct. American Standard finally admitted that the problem was them and have replaced the motors as they have gone out but I am having to pay for the labor to replace them (approximately $180 per motor). American Standard finally agreed in an email over a year ago to pay approximately $90 of this labor and said that the American Standard dealer was charging me too much. I have not received payment and no one will return my call or e-mail. I am building 236 more apartments and there will be no American Standard product in them. In addition, I have made sure that some friends who are building a lot of apartments are not using American Standard products. As a businessman I stand behind my products and do the right thing. American Standard does not do this. Their refusal to stand behind their product has cost them a lot of business. Has anyone else had problems with their motors?

Date created: 2015-10-06 Name: L. Robinson
Location: Palm Springs, CA

"2 houses, 3 units"
Replaced furnace and A/C unit in one house. Within 3 months, the fan motor went out. Other house with 2 A/C units and 2 furnaces, the fan motor is out on one and the now the blow motor on the furnace and the pressure valve are out. Waited 2 weeks for a part. American Standard is junk! Do not buy!

Date created: 2015-09-14 Name: Ron
Location: Western Pennsylvania

"3 months old / Broke"
American StandardÖ seriously! Donít let the name fool you. Three months ago I bought this furnace and AC unit made by American Standard. It quit working last week. So I called the company I bought it from which also installed it. The repair man said the compressor was bad. People, this unit is only 3 months old. So they replaced the bad compressor and that was covered under the warranty but the labor was around $500. People, this unit is only 3 months old and I paid over $9,000 for it. So now itís less than a week later and the AC unit isnít working again. What now, another $500 labor charge to come out and fix it again? I wish I had this to do over again. American Standard - junk.

Date created: 2015-08-27 Location: Cleveland, TN

"American Standard - Standard performance"
I had this installed by a local HVAC professional in 2005. It's been going 10 years and while the costs are lower than my old unit, they are still fairly high overall. Plus, it has gone out once for no good reason; I clean and wash it twice a year and it's not in a particularly dirty or dusty area. The weather here is hot (Tennessee) and humid. So it runs pretty consistently from late May to early October. Still, it should not have gone out and required a warranty repair. This is a basic, build-quality unit that I would not have considered unless my old unit had not gone out and I was in need of something fast and inexpensive. I would consider a higher model from American Standard, but not this one again.

Date created: 2015-08-10 Name: Tamara
Location: Houston, TX

"American Standard is junk and the service is horrible"
I have an American Standard air handler that was put in 5 years ago. It has had the motor replaced 2 years ago, now it needs a new coil. This is ridiculous! American Standard products are junk and I will never buy anything American Standard again! It took 2 hours to find a number for them (never buy from a company who does not put their customer service number on their website). I called customer service, they were rude and augmentative. They should be ashamed to call themselves, "American Standard". Their products and service are far below American standards!

Date created: 2015-07-03 Name: Jason Sizemore
Location: Enterprise, AL

"Don't buy if you mind waiting for weeks"
You can take this review to the bank! I'm an American Standard dealer! I have a customer who purchased the XL16 split AC with modulating furnace and cased coil. Less than a year later, the indoor TXV valve starts to lose its charge and needs to be replaced. Seems like a simple fix since it's a bolt on. Well, it would be if you could get parts. I recommended this system and wished I hadn't. Anyway, I ordered the valve and had to pay the $30 shipping and handling fee for UPS. Guess what? A week later my friend/customer still doesn't have a valve installed because they forgot to finish the order and gave me some lame excuse that parts for American Standard are very hard to come by! Seriously. You sell equipment that parts are hard to come by for and you must use your parts only because of how it's designed? This is pathetic! We are going to a local dealer who can communicate like an adult. How do you claim to be the best when you can't even keep your best unit running a whole year and even then you can't get parts from your own factory for it? Anyway, my friend is celebrating Independence Day in 100į weather and using window units. They seem to be better than American Standard's best! We are celebrating our Independence Day as well! We are now free of selling American Standard equipment forever! American Standard has gone way downhill from when I started almost 20 years ago! They're not even recognizable anymore! Word of advice from an American Standard dealer - go with a local brand like Grand Air! You can get parts easy and they last about the same, plus they're much cheaper! Why pay more for less of a company when your local Lewis and Smith or Baker has perfectly good units that will last you at least ten years! After ten years of dealing with American Standard, I'd be ready to replace it anyway!

Date created: 2015-06-12 Name: Roland Bronstad

"Unhappy"
Very loud when the compressor kicks on and off. Wish I could give it back to you.

Date created: 2015-04-02 Name: M. Harrison
Location: St. Louis, MO

"Units have great warranty"
I read that the copper coil leaked. That's funny, they use aluminum. There is Ameristar that tends to be an American Standard alternative, not the same thing in A/C but the furnace is made at the same place as American Standard. All units need regular maintenance and must be installed correctly to last a long time. 10-year (12 on some)compressor, 10-year parts, 10-year coil. Looks like they stand behind their product. Find your local American Standard distributor and ask who they like. If your dealer doesn't perform well enough for you call the Better Business Bureau.