Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2013-04-01 Name: Chicagos Owner
Location: Indianapolis, IN

"5 Ton AC Unit"
This unit worked well for the past 7 years and now the compressor is broken and too expensive to fix. Buying a new unit is more cost effective. I am very dissatisfied with the longevity of this particular unit. Its hard to believe a shelf life of 7 years??? I would not buy this brand again, ever!

Date created: 2013-03-05 Name: Lisa
Location: Weston, Florida

"Horrible Product bought 2 units both down."
Purchased 2 new 3.5 ton units and installed around early 2006, both ac units broke down essentially same time right after 5 year warranty on evaporator coils. One coil 1100.00, then within two months the other coil 1150.00 to fix. Then the condenser coil same time, outside, under warranty but still cost 800.00 to fix, then motor on one unit 800.00 to fix, then the heater didn't work the one day out the year you need it in Florida. never purchase TRANE/American Standard. I spent 4000.00 per unit only 6 years ago, over 4000.00 in fixes. All bad.

Date created: 2013-01-04 Name: J. Schramm
Location: Plano Tx.

"Unhappy American Standard AC Owner"
I received a brand new American Standard ac 2 years ago. Few months after it was put in I had problems, after that it has been one thing after another Low freon constantly burnt out blower, burnt out compressor and list of other things I would run out of room to list. Don't buy if you have to, get the extended warranty that's American Standard makes their money is on the warranty not their products.

Date created: 2012-11-01 Name: John Hudson
Location: St Pete, Florida

"Do your research"
First of all, I would like to say to all of the unhappy consumers posting here... Your installer and/or installing company is at fault. Consumer reports rates American Standard over Trane and any other manufacturer. I have installed and serviced all brands over the past 27 years. Carrier... Major piece of crap and expensive! Keep in mind people, even if your "bigger companies" have been around for 30 years, most of their installers have on average, 3-5 years experience installing. Technology has changed and most installers have no proper schooling. Also, I would not let an installer do the initial start up on my system... I would leave that to a trained service tech. There is more to start up than just opening the valves and turning the temp. on the thermostat down. As far as leaks... Haven't had a problem with American Standard at all. Pressures on new 410a systems are twice as high as the r-22 and most installers are terrible at soldering! Also, upon initial start up, the tech must wait 15-20 minutes before adding 410a so the refrigerant can pass through the txv (expansion) valve and equalize. 27 years in the field and would not let today installer touch my system. So, to all those out there that are unhappy with the best rated brand of air conditioning... Sorry, find a new company with skilled professionals.

Date created: 2012-10-15 Name: Lisa Geraghty
Location: Weston, Florida

"Two 6 year units faulty at the same time"
We purchased 2 3-ton a/c American Standard units 6 years ago, and both units are now leaking in numerous areas of the coils. 1400.00 for an evaporator coil replacement, 813.00 for the Compressor coil replacement, I'm not even convinced this will solve and be fixed. Now we just got done with the one unit, and the other one is not working. This is insane, and I am completely on board for a class action law suit.

Date created: 2012-10-06 Name: N Mar
Location: PHX, AZ

"Total CRAP"
First coil had pinholes in it, replaced with new coil but spent $1200 in install costs. 15 months later a/c guy has to put in two pounds of refrigerant and says there is a thin sheen of oil in pan. its leaking again and out of warranty. These bastards need a class action lawsuit.

Date created: 2012-09-18 Name: G. Lewis
Location: Northern, CA

"Installation Counts!!"
After reading many of these reviews, I have noticed that most of the problems mentioned are more install issues, or a result of, than American Standard brand issues. We are a licensed hvac contractor and choose to be an American Standard Dealer. We have dealt many brands including Ruud, Bryant, and Westinghouse, but choose American Standard because of the reliability and quality of manufacture. It is important to note that no equipment is going to last forever, especially if it is not properly installed and maintained. You cannot run your car forever without getting an oil change!! We have had few manufacturing issues with American Standard. The distributors are not always the best, but as dealer we protect our customers from that. We do service all brands of hvac units, and in doing so I have dealt with warranty issues on most all of them. The standard "parts only" warranty is pretty prevalent across the board. It is up to the individual to choose a reputable installer. Remember in your research that the install counts just as much as the product!

Date created: 2012-09-13 Name: M. Gilbert
Location: houston texas

"Dislike"
I have a 3 ton unit that is about 6 years old. I have replace the coil, the fan, the capacitor etc. over that time and think I could have bought and paid for another brand (Carrier etc.) with less repair costs. I have two units, both 3 ton, and one is a York that is more than 12 years old and still functions very well and is efficient. The American Standard is hopeless! Like an airplane - a hole in the air that you put money into! I don't like it and will never buy another!

Date created: 2012-08-29 Name: CC Rey
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"What a piece of Garbage!"
We bought a Trane/American Standard ac unit in 2004 thinking that Trane had a good reputation (ha!). After 4 years we have spent more than $2,000 on repairs, specifically leaking evaporator coils. We are on the 4th set of coils now (the 3rd set lasted only 6 weeks). Our licensed contractor, who was nice enough not to charge us any service costs, said Trane uses defective coils. I'm thinking "Class Action" lawsuit!!!

Date created: 2012-08-20 Name: mary johnson
Location: fort worth tx

"Ms Mary Johnson"
I purchased my unit in 2006 since then we have spent over $3,000, in various repairs, control board, leaking freon and now it needs new coils among other parts. I purchased it because I researched ac's and believed the hype, it is really a piece of junk.