Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2016-07-09 Name: Michael D
Location: Woodbridge, NJ

"American Standard 5000"
I have an American Standard 3 ton split system central AC, installed in 1992. It's called the 5000 and was the highest efficiency unit available at that time, about 13 SEER. Do you believe it has never needed service!. It is running perfectly with no mechanical issues. I believe Trane /American Standard is the best unit you can buy. It is used almost daily from May through September in a northern climate.

Date created: 2016-07-07 Name: Carole Althardt

"Do not buy American Standard"
2 years light use on a coil when it got holes in it. Warranty does not cover labor or Freon. So, a very expensive repair that should not have been needed at all. Junk.
Date created: 2016-07-07 Name: J. McCaffrey
Location: Boone, IA

"American Standard air"
I purchased this unit (air and furnace) nine years ago, paid for a gold plan that costs nearly $300.00 a year from Neighbors in Ames, Iowa, and now I'm told that I need a new air conditioner. I am very, very unhappy and would never purchase this brand again.
Date created: 2016-07-05 Name: Dale
Location: Kansas

"Dealer dissatisfaction"
As a former American Standard HVAC Dealer I can concur with most reviews of dissatisfaction about American Standard and Trane products. As a reputable Dealer in the state of Kansas we began having trouble with this brand shortly after Ingersoll Rand bought the American Standard Company which also manufactures Trane. Changes were made to their products utilizing cheap manufactured parts (Not! Made in the USA). We experienced an unusual amount of warranty work that we fully honored to keep our customers satisfied. This created a burden on our business's bottom line which eventually caused us to stop selling the American Standard- Trane line of products. We also experienced horrible customer service with not only the manufacturer but our distributor as well, from which we had purchased equipment amounting to hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years. I am not sharing this information just out of frustration or to sell another product line. I just hope to aid you in what will be a very expensive purchase. So this is what I recommend: Ask your friends and neighbors about their experiences with local dealerships, if you are new to an area go online and read customer Dealer reviews. Yes the product line is somewhat important but almost all manufacturers carry the same warranties. An honest Dealer, experienced installation and knowledgeable regular maintenance are your best bet to ensure an HVAC system that will serve you well for many years to come. I pray that this has been helpful.
Date created: 2016-07-04 Name: Mark Y
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Garbage - avoid American Standard"
I had this unit installed 45 days ago and it still is not working. Installer has been out here 5 times trying one thing after another. Tomorrow's appointment is to change out the Thermal Expansion Valve. Another "guess" in my opinion. I also purchased a Gold 2 stage unit and it also is having issues. American Standard AC units are garbage. Avoid this crap. My 22-year-old Carrier units worked better. What a mistake I made.
Date created: 2016-06-30 Name: Kevin
Location: Florida

"American Standard sucks"
We bought our American Standard Platinum unit 2 years ago. It breaks done about every 5 to 6 months. We have spent thousands to repair this unit. We live in Florida and it broke down again today, it's 95 degrees out. If you buy one of these you're an idiot. I do not recommend American Standard for anything. Do not buy one of these.
Date created: 2016-06-19 Name: toney
Location: Florida

"Very happy"
Installed in 1995. No trouble, works well and it's quiet.
Date created: 2016-06-16 Name: paul choy
Location: Las Vegas, NV

"Not recommended"
Purchased air conditioner two years ago and the compressor is now broken. I hardly used the air or heat. Now the part is out of stock for ten days.
Date created: 2016-03-24 Name: tino espinosa
Location: Houston, TX

"Compressor failure"
The compressor blew out less than a year from installation I called customer support for a labor credit. They told me there was no credit so I lost 4 hours of labor and cleaning material and extra parts. Thanks American Standard.
Date created: 2016-03-14 Name: Franklin
Location: Indianapolis, IN

"Horrible!"
This unit is horrible! I have had it 3 years and the evaporator coil has leaked twice now, each time costing $1000 to fix in labor. I have contacted the company to assist in labor fees as this is unacceptable! If the coil leaks again (which it will) I am getting an entirely new unit not made by this company. I figure that will be the most economical answer to fixing the problem. Do not buy this unit!