Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2018-06-29 Name: Bryan Schoch
Location: North Carolina

"American Standard unit is a lemon"
They have just "respectfully declined" to replace my unit on the house even though it is dead and needing repair again after the fourth time it has broken in the four years since the unit has been installed. Two times it was a manufacturing defect that rubbed two lines together and leaked all the refrigerant. One time the condenser coil was leaking and needed to be replaced. And one time the unit was on fire when the blower motor burned up. I have spent almost $1500 repairing this unit and it cost me $5300 to replace. American Standard refuses to do anything but offer me a credit towards the repair that won't even cover full cost of the repair.

Date created: 2018-06-27 Name: Jay Walker
Location: Chicago, IL

"Terrible"
Had it installed and installed didnít remove their shoes.
Date created: 2018-06-27 Name: Waytoohot
Location: Southcoast, MA

"Simply Horrible"
Compressor began to make loud grinding noises after 2 years the locked- up in the 5th year. Registered for the 12 year warranty but after 4 weeks, the new compressor is not here. Awful. Awful. Awful... Do not buy from American Standard. Simply not worth the premium since they don't stand behind them.
Date created: 2018-05-22 Name: Wayne B
Location: New Jersey

"Expensive Junk"
We got an American Standard / Trane furnace and air conditioner installed in 2011 and we've had it repaired at least 5 times since then. After only 3 years, the condenser fan motor broke during the middle of the summer when it was really hot. After another 3 years, the furnace motor went and we paid $900 to get that fixed. After another 2 years, the condenser motor broke again to the tune of $900. Now I'm going to take this manufacturer to small claims court if their warranty service won't reimburse me. I don't even care if I get my money back, I just want to cost them some money by having to send their lawyer out.
Date created: 2018-05-15 Name: Alice Reinhardt
Location: Missouri

"This AC should not be sold to anyone"
I replaced my whole house ac about five years ago and have had nothing but trouble, I had seven service calls last year and the problem was never fixed for more than 2 weeks. I am replacing it this May 2018 I can't go thru another summer with on again off again air, they do not stand behind their product. Beware do not buy American Standard.
Date created: 2018-04-19 Name: Richard
Location: East Coast

"Horrific Product"
An absolutely horrific product. Unit is only a couple of years old and I don't think there is a part which hasn't been replaced (and unit still isn't working). A continual stream of American Standard Corporate and private technicians have visited my home and have given up. Please, please, do yourself a huge financial and personal favor and shop elsewhere.
Date created: 2018-01-09 Name: paul K
Location: Lawrence, NY

"Work horse equipment"
Just finished using my American Standard 16 seer 3.5 ton system during a hot blast summer. The equipment performed great and I think most of that was due to my installing contractor. He did a great job of sizing my system. I had low humidity and low utility bills. Couldn't be happier. The contractor had to come back once to adjust the ducts but other than that it was great. Nothing else to say. Simple and done.
Date created: 2018-01-02 Name: Brenda
Location: Arizona

"Horrible"
I have had a American Standard a/c unit for only 4 years and it's been trouble ever since. It cost $4,000 and since then I've had to put in at least $2,000 more. It's a piece of crap. I got a lemon. Do not buy this unit.
Date created: 2017-08-07 Name: Lawrence J. Leming

"TOTAL JUNK"
This unit was put in service May 2015 it has been a problem since day one. First a compressor, then a pressure switch. Another compressor and pressure switch. Two sets of electronic boards and last be not least a condenser coil and evaporator coil. Worked a week an just stopped working. I started a warranty case with American Standard which is Trane a/c that was bought by Indesol Ran Company they gave me the run around that they needed all record of parts and repair invoices which I did provide them with and still avid or help from them. The one person I feel sorry for is my service tech that wasted more then 20 hours of labor in parts trying to keep this 2 season old unit working. Let this be a lesson two anyone who is thinking of installing this or any American Standard Unit there product is the biggest piece of junk ever. Note it is the quietest unit I ever purchased. It now dead sitting in my attic.
Date created: 2017-08-02 Name: William H.
Location: Charleston, SC

"Inferior Quality Product"
We have had 2 major component failures (motor/fan and condenser coil) on a system that is less than a year and a half old. It's apparent that the manufacturing quality of American Standard products is inferior, and frankly, sub-standard. We had a completely new hvac system installed as part of a major home renovation. The hvac installer did a fantastic job with installation of the units, ductwork, thermostats, etc. Unfortunately, this installer deals mostly with American Standard products. In hindsight, I wish I had done better research on available hvac systems; while it may have required me to have the Prime Contractor find another hvac installer for the renovation, I doubt I could have purchased a system of a more inferior quality. My out-of-pocket expenses to pay for just the labor in replacing the inferior components is around $1000.00---this is a cost to me for repairing an essentially brand new system. I'm not impressed with American Standard; and my disappointment with this brand will carry over into other American Standard divisions (plumbing, etc), as the inferior product line is likely the result of a business culture of mediocrity and greed.