Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2016-07-05 Name: Dale
Location: Kansas

"Dealer dissatisfaction"
As a former American Standard HVAC Dealer I can concur with most reviews of dissatisfaction about American Standard and Trane products. As a reputable Dealer in the state of Kansas we began having trouble with this brand shortly after Ingersoll Rand bought the American Standard Company which also manufactures Trane. Changes were made to their products utilizing cheap manufactured parts (Not! Made in the USA). We experienced an unusual amount of warranty work that we fully honored to keep our customers satisfied. This created a burden on our business's bottom line which eventually caused us to stop selling the American Standard- Trane line of products. We also experienced horrible customer service with not only the manufacturer but our distributor as well, from which we had purchased equipment amounting to hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years. I am not sharing this information just out of frustration or to sell another product line. I just hope to aid you in what will be a very expensive purchase. So this is what I recommend: Ask your friends and neighbors about their experiences with local dealerships, if you are new to an area go online and read customer Dealer reviews. Yes the product line is somewhat important but almost all manufacturers carry the same warranties. An honest Dealer, experienced installation and knowledgeable regular maintenance are your best bet to ensure an HVAC system that will serve you well for many years to come. I pray that this has been helpful.

Date created: 2016-07-04 Name: Mark Y
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Garbage - avoid American Standard"
I had this unit installed 45 days ago and it still is not working. Installer has been out here 5 times trying one thing after another. Tomorrow's appointment is to change out the Thermal Expansion Valve. Another "guess" in my opinion. I also purchased a Gold 2 stage unit and it also is having issues. American Standard AC units are garbage. Avoid this crap. My 22-year-old Carrier units worked better. What a mistake I made.

Date created: 2016-06-30 Name: Kevin
Location: Florida

"American Standard sucks"
We bought our American Standard Platinum unit 2 years ago. It breaks done about every 5 to 6 months. We have spent thousands to repair this unit. We live in Florida and it broke down again today, it's 95 degrees out. If you buy one of these you're an idiot. I do not recommend American Standard for anything. Do not buy one of these.

Date created: 2016-06-19 Name: toney
Location: Florida

"Very happy"
Installed in 1995. No trouble, works well and it's quiet.

Date created: 2016-06-16 Name: paul choy
Location: Las Vegas, NV

"Not recommended"
Purchased air conditioner two years ago and the compressor is now broken. I hardly used the air or heat. Now the part is out of stock for ten days.

Date created: 2016-03-24 Name: tino espinosa
Location: Houston, TX

"Compressor failure"
The compressor blew out less than a year from installation I called customer support for a labor credit. They told me there was no credit so I lost 4 hours of labor and cleaning material and extra parts. Thanks American Standard.

Date created: 2016-03-14 Name: Franklin
Location: Indianapolis, IN

"Horrible!"
This unit is horrible! I have had it 3 years and the evaporator coil has leaked twice now, each time costing $1000 to fix in labor. I have contacted the company to assist in labor fees as this is unacceptable! If the coil leaks again (which it will) I am getting an entirely new unit not made by this company. I figure that will be the most economical answer to fixing the problem. Do not buy this unit!

Date created: 2015-10-15 Name: G McNabb
Location: Cookeville

"Defective motors and will not do what they say"
I own over 500 apartments. Over 450 of them had American Standard HVAC units. I installed 124 American Standard HVAC units in a new apartment complex I was building and over the 4 years since they were installed, the motors are constantly going out. The American Standard rep originally blamed it on the electric company. We proved the electric was correct. American Standard finally admitted that the problem was them and have replaced the motors as they have gone out but I am having to pay for the labor to replace them (approximately $180 per motor). American Standard finally agreed in an email over a year ago to pay approximately $90 of this labor and said that the American Standard dealer was charging me too much. I have not received payment and no one will return my call or e-mail. I am building 236 more apartments and there will be no American Standard product in them. In addition, I have made sure that some friends who are building a lot of apartments are not using American Standard products. As a businessman I stand behind my products and do the right thing. American Standard does not do this. Their refusal to stand behind their product has cost them a lot of business. Has anyone else had problems with their motors?

Date created: 2015-10-06 Name: L. Robinson
Location: Palm Springs, CA

"2 houses, 3 units"
Replaced furnace and A/C unit in one house. Within 3 months, the fan motor went out. Other house with 2 A/C units and 2 furnaces, the fan motor is out on one and the now the blow motor on the furnace and the pressure valve are out. Waited 2 weeks for a part. American Standard is junk! Do not buy!

Date created: 2015-09-14 Name: Ron
Location: Western Pennsylvania

"3 months old / Broke"
American StandardÖ seriously! Donít let the name fool you. Three months ago I bought this furnace and AC unit made by American Standard. It quit working last week. So I called the company I bought it from which also installed it. The repair man said the compressor was bad. People, this unit is only 3 months old. So they replaced the bad compressor and that was covered under the warranty but the labor was around $500. People, this unit is only 3 months old and I paid over $9,000 for it. So now itís less than a week later and the AC unit isnít working again. What now, another $500 labor charge to come out and fix it again? I wish I had this to do over again. American Standard - junk.