Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-09-10 Name: C.Heim
Location: Metairie, LA

"A/C"
Complete new units (compressor and air handler) installed 7/19/2010. On 9/9/2010, freon escaping from coil = no A/C. Not even two months old and it "springs a leak." TERRIBLE!!!

Date created: 2010-08-12 Name: Peter Neidecker

"Squeals like a stuck pig"
I bought two Allegiance 16 a/c units for our house; one for each floor as the house is large. The upstairs unit is as quiet as a lamb while the downstairs unit squeals like a stuck pig. The dealer hasn't a clue why similar units have such different noise levels and American Standard ignores my emails through their web site. I am guessing it is an installation problem, but getting American Standard tech support is impossible and the only American Standard dealer in our area is giving up. I would buy something else from someone else if I could do it over.

Date created: 2010-07-30 Name: Richard Thomasson

"Piece of crap"
We had this junk ac put in three years ago and every year it breaks down. Tech says my dog chewed thru the wires outside (twice) and I had to pay over $400 for this repair which American Std does not honor on their warranty. Serious design flaw. They should design these units to prevent this from occurring. Totally worthless piece of crap.

Date created: 2010-06-28 Name: Tom Welsh

"Air Conditioner problem"
The installing dealer has replaced the contactor each year since new (under warranty). The problem is bugs getting into the contactor causing it not to close. Last year, the contactor was replaced with a 'bug proof' unit. The same problem this season. I have to pay a service call each year. The local rep. for American Standard has advised me to seal the areas around the contactor or call someone to do it. Again, I'm paying and paying for a design flaw. My adivse is to steer clear of American Standard.

Date created: 2010-06-27 Name: Josh Perkins

"American Standard"
I have 3 rent houses. In every one of these houses, the ac has gone out. I have replaced all 3 houses with an American Standard complete system. So far, it has been a good investment. No problems at all. I just replaced the ac in my house with a dual stage ac unit and heater and enjoying the ac in this Houston humid climate.

Date created: 2010-06-21 Name: Joe Never Again A-Standard

"Ice cold air"
3 years ago I installed a 13seer A/C complete American Standard with propane burner heat. I cannot stress enough the importance of using a reputable installer. The rest over promise and under deliver, try to cut corners, ie by using smaller copper lines than recommended to save themselves $75 on a 6,000 deal and thereby are willing to screw the customer for a few extra dollars. Installing a two speed unit but jumping the terminals to one speed to avoid running a 4 wire instead of reusing the 3 wire thermostat wire. Ridiculous! I am here brand shopping because the unit is disappointing. The compressor already needs a hard start pack installed and the dealer says it may need a compressor. The air mover has alway been noisy and vibrates, shaking the silverware on our kitchen counters. It appears the bearings are going out on the blower so I am waiting on a squirrel cage and motor. There is a tremendous amount of corrosion I am told outside. Read one here about how a-s uses aluminum coils and they corrode and leak if dogs pee on condenser. I don't have a dog but service guy said he had never seen corrosion like this on a newer unit like this. The outside finish on this unit goes away fast. It looks 10 years old from the sun. Would not recommend A-Standard or going with the small dealer unprofessional crews. $6000 wasted.

Date created: 2010-06-04 Name: Steve

"VERY HAPPY"
I had a full American Standard System installed 4 years ago. 95% 2 stages furnace, and allegiance 16 air conditioner. It works great. Never had a repair yet. It's quiet and my bills are lower. The guy comes out twice a year and does a tune up. The same company just installed systems in 2 of my neighbors houses. I think a lot of it comes from the way the quality of the company. I wouldn't recommend anything else.

Date created: 2010-06-02 Name: D. Pullem

"American Standard Customer Service is TERRIBLE!!!!!"
American Standard customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with. I have had a slow coolant leak starting in the 2nd year of service. I have had service out 6 times for the same problem. The warranty ran out couple of years ago and I have had service twice since then. I tried to get American Standard to cover the costs, since this is an on-going problem that has never been fixed. I even wrote their president Mr. Poses twice and both letters were ignored. He apparently doesn't care what people think of his company. As I write this review, my A/C is out again. I would never again buy an American Standard product of any kind.

Date created: 2010-05-18 Name: Gerry Ashum

"Problems galore"
Very noisy and very unreliable. I've had the repair company out five times and they still have not been able to repair the unit or correct the noise issue. I've have asked for a refund to no avail so it looks like the next step is to go to court. Totally regrettable decision.

Date created: 2010-04-23 Name: Roger P.
Location: Arizona

"Stay away"
We've had to have repairs done five times in just under 3 years on our American Standard AC. Leaky coils, seized up fan motor, seized up compressor, to name a few. Even when it's running, it doesn't keep the house cool on the warmer days. Complete worthless piece of junk. It would make a better boat anchor that it does an AC. Don't buy American Standard unless you enjoy throwing your money away. Roger Pettie, Arizona