Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-06-27 Name: Josh Perkins

"American Standard"
I have 3 rent houses. In every one of these houses, the ac has gone out. I have replaced all 3 houses with an American Standard complete system. So far, it has been a good investment. No problems at all. I just replaced the ac in my house with a dual stage ac unit and heater and enjoying the ac in this Houston humid climate.

Date created: 2010-06-21 Name: Joe Never Again A-Standard

"Ice cold air"
3 years ago I installed a 13seer A/C complete American Standard with propane burner heat. I cannot stress enough the importance of using a reputable installer. The rest over promise and under deliver, try to cut corners, ie by using smaller copper lines than recommended to save themselves $75 on a 6,000 deal and thereby are willing to screw the customer for a few extra dollars. Installing a two speed unit but jumping the terminals to one speed to avoid running a 4 wire instead of reusing the 3 wire thermostat wire. Ridiculous! I am here brand shopping because the unit is disappointing. The compressor already needs a hard start pack installed and the dealer says it may need a compressor. The air mover has alway been noisy and vibrates, shaking the silverware on our kitchen counters. It appears the bearings are going out on the blower so I am waiting on a squirrel cage and motor. There is a tremendous amount of corrosion I am told outside. Read one here about how a-s uses aluminum coils and they corrode and leak if dogs pee on condenser. I don't have a dog but service guy said he had never seen corrosion like this on a newer unit like this. The outside finish on this unit goes away fast. It looks 10 years old from the sun. Would not recommend A-Standard or going with the small dealer unprofessional crews. $6000 wasted.

Date created: 2010-06-04 Name: Steve

"VERY HAPPY"
I had a full American Standard System installed 4 years ago. 95% 2 stages furnace, and allegiance 16 air conditioner. It works great. Never had a repair yet. It's quiet and my bills are lower. The guy comes out twice a year and does a tune up. The same company just installed systems in 2 of my neighbors houses. I think a lot of it comes from the way the quality of the company. I wouldn't recommend anything else.

Date created: 2010-06-02 Name: D. Pullem

"American Standard Customer Service is TERRIBLE!!!!!"
American Standard customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with. I have had a slow coolant leak starting in the 2nd year of service. I have had service out 6 times for the same problem. The warranty ran out couple of years ago and I have had service twice since then. I tried to get American Standard to cover the costs, since this is an on-going problem that has never been fixed. I even wrote their president Mr. Poses twice and both letters were ignored. He apparently doesn't care what people think of his company. As I write this review, my A/C is out again. I would never again buy an American Standard product of any kind.

Date created: 2010-05-18 Name: Gerry Ashum

"Problems galore"
Very noisy and very unreliable. I've had the repair company out five times and they still have not been able to repair the unit or correct the noise issue. I've have asked for a refund to no avail so it looks like the next step is to go to court. Totally regrettable decision.

Date created: 2010-04-23 Name: Roger P.
Location: Arizona

"Stay away"
We've had to have repairs done five times in just under 3 years on our American Standard AC. Leaky coils, seized up fan motor, seized up compressor, to name a few. Even when it's running, it doesn't keep the house cool on the warmer days. Complete worthless piece of junk. It would make a better boat anchor that it does an AC. Don't buy American Standard unless you enjoy throwing your money away. Roger Pettie, Arizona

Date created: 2010-03-22 Name: Hui Chen

"Never another American Standard"
My contractor never told me that this piece of junk had aluminum tubing running through it. The dogs pee on it. Now, the entire unit leaks out the expensive new coolant. I am told I need to buy another unit. This time, I will buy an Amana or Lennox with a copper tubing.

Date created: 2010-02-09 Name: Joey B.

"Review"
I purchased a 20 seer 3 ton, tax credit American Standard system about 6 months ago. I am very happy with my new system. I have no more noise issues that I had in the pass. The contractor was very helpful with all my questions. I'm actully looking forward to see what my summer electric bills are going to be this year.

Date created: 2010-01-06 Name: Blake Reyes

"My American Standard"
I had an old Carrier unit replaced with a 16 seer American Standard unit. I couldn't be happier. I read a ton of reviews before I bought and they all had one thing in common. Everyone that was unsatisfied was unsatisfied because of the install or the company that installed it. The equipment is all the same. It's the company that's important. Don't go for the low baller or the high bid. Go with a company who you feel comfortable with and you feel will back up what they tell you. I would recommend American Standard to anyone who wants a top quality AC system. Just make sure the company who installs it is top quality also.

Date created: 2009-08-30 Name: Bob R.

"Power bill down"
Had all in one unit installed about 2 months ago. contractor said that we would see a big change in our power bill. got our power bill for our first month of using new unit and he was right. power bill went down by a full third. this was with someone home 24 hours a day and temperature hitting mid-90's each day. feel that we made a good decision by installing american standard. we are very pleased with the unit and am looking forward to lower gas bills this winter.