Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2019-06-16 Name: Loretta Keenan
Location: Ocean View, DE

"5 service calls, still doesnít work!"
I bought this ac unit on August 25th, 2019, and it only worked for about a month. 5 service calls, a whole new condensing unit a week ago, and now it is not working at all! Iím hot, frustrated and for sure will never buy another American Standard product again. Meanwhile, Iím out nearly $5000. And donít know what to do next. I asked my installer, who has been here 5 times and finally brought a whole new unit if he had talked to American Standard. He said, yes, he had, numerous times and they ďjust donít care.Ē

Date created: 2019-06-15 Name: Jerrold burroughs
Location: Florida

"Lets initiate a class action lawsuit - I am on board"
When we built our retirement home in 2010, our builder installed an American Standard HVAC system in our home. We were told this system was one of the best. In 2014, we called out the installer to service our system as it was not cooling properly. We were told that the evaporator coil needed replacing. The system was only 4 years old at this time. This was done under warranty and we paid for labor. Four years later in 2018 upon startup for the summer, we noticed it was not cooling properly, and the installer was called out and charged the system. However, in 2019 upon startup for the summer, we had to call out the installer again as the system was not cooling properly. He added freon back again, but it did not last but a little over a month. Upon this next visit, we were told the evaporator coil had a leak in it and that it needed to be replaced again, only this time not under warranty. That meant that the inside air handler would have three coils in less than 9 years. I called American Standard to see if they would replace this evaporator coil and they said it was no longer under warranty. I have owned several homes and have never had a system that was this defective. Every unit lasted at least 15 years or more. With this in my mind, I felt that the system must have been defective and was sure that American Standard would surely help with this third evaporator coil. However, after reading the majority of the comments listed here, this is a prevalent problem and the idea of a class action lawsuit against American Standard might make them appreciate what their consumers are going through. The problems are nationwide and as a few dealers commented that it was the installers fault, I do not believe this, since problems exit with their units everywhere. Surely, there are not that many installers that are not trained to install their units. The problem is with the product and they should be held accountable to the unsuspecting consumer that puts their trust their product.
Date created: 2019-06-12 Name: Francisco Sanchez
Location: Fort Worth, TX

"I agree with all the other reviews"
I have owned this piece of crap for 8 years. Paid over $8000. for it. My wife and I have been living in such a humid environment ever since we had it installed. We have had several technicians over to adjust it and none have been successful. After hundreds of dollars, we gave up and had to get a dehumidifier in order to get the humidity out.
Date created: 2019-04-21 Name: JTisch

"Donít know model but"
I inherited my house from my best friend in 2014. She replaced the central ac in 2011. This is the worst piece of crap that has ever existed. Itís only 8 years old and I refuse to put one more penny into it! The last straw is a leak in the coil that they wonít cover under any sort of warranty! This was built to fail! Iím taking the $1100 it would cost to replace the coil and buying a Bryant. Made in the USA and the company Iíve been using who has phenomenal Customer Service is installing it. I just put 2 lbs of 410a in it last week and as of right now itís set at 77 and shows 79. The temperature on my patio is currently 71. Donít buy American standardĒ. I doubt that itís made in America and itís below any standard of the product I want to be affiliated with!
Date created: 2019-04-09 Name: Adam Guidry

"3.5 years old, both coils are leaking"
Purchased new home in October of 2015 and ac kept short cycling. Technician came out and both sets of coils were leaking, stating that unit will need to be replaced. Waiting on 2 10 home warranty to determine route of replacement. Unreal, do not buy this crap!
Date created: 2018-08-12 Name: A DeSpain
Location: Edmond, OK

"Do not buy American Standard Air Conditioners"
It has been almost 3 months since the upstairs air conditioner went out. The air conditioner was in a 4-year-old house, so it was under warranty. They came out and put a new compressor in and charged $900 for labor. However, the new compressor does not adequately cool the upstairs. We called them back. They found an oil leak, still not cooling satisfactorily. They said it was the big window we had. The window has not changed and was there when the old air conditioner cooled properly. Next excuse was technician was ill. They came out and took pictures. Now, 3 months later, it is still not fixed.. We get the run around about who is at fault. We live upstairs in my sonís house and have had to move out to my daughterís. Needless to say, the company warranty is worthless. First, it was not good that the air conditioner was only 4 years old. Secondly, when the 1st technician could not fix it, they should have sent another technician, or the company should replace the air conditioner. Obviously, either the compressor is too small and not like the original one, or there is some other breakdown in the system. We have been more than patient. It has been nearly 3 months and we want to move home.
Date created: 2018-08-09 Name: Ray Townsend
Location: Murfreesboro, TN

"Allens Air Care"
Paid over $7000 last year for this central heat and air unit. It has stopped working four times so far and the installer has come out another time to drill a hole in the cabinet to release standing water. Allens Air sold me this crap and highly recommended it. I now know why they did; because there is only a one year warranty on labor and they asked double what another company did for warranty work. He told me he does a lot of American Standard repairs and doesn't recommend them to anyone because they come from Mexico. A very cheaply made unit.
Date created: 2018-08-07 Name: Roy Raiter

"Super unreliable!!!!"
I just purchased 11 super expensive, new 2.5 ton over and under units for my office building and 5 out of the 11 already broke down in less than 1.5 years!!! Regardless to the inconvenience, it cost me a big financial damage, since I had to close the business for few days each time (it's Florida), and pay to the ac guy for replacing the motors after the 1st year!!!!
Date created: 2018-07-08 Name: Jack DeSpain
Location: Edmond, OK

"Compressor went out in 4 years"
The 4-year-old compressor went out and was under warranty. We used the person recommended to do the work and it was replaced, but the labor was over $900. However, the repair gave insufficient cooling. When we called them back, they found an oil leak, but it still did not cool sufficiently. We called them back and they said it was because of our large window. That makes no sense since the window has always been there and the cooling was fine. It has still not been fixed and it went out about May 22nd. The urgency of the warranty service company has certainly been lacking. I would not purchase American Standard again since it went out in only four years and the warranty service is terrible.
Date created: 2018-07-02 Name: Mike Lecamus
Location: League City, Texas

"Piece of junk"
I purchased this sorry piece of crap almost five years ago. It's been a horrendous experience, to say the least. Between the water leaks from the attic furnace and the AC blower, it's been nothing but hell. I have rental property that has better equipment than this half assed built unit. The drain pan under the AC coils was made of plastic. The installer should have returned the unit at the day of installation, however he chose to smear sealant on the cracked drain pan, therefore setting up a water leak that required a new drain pan that fortunately was covered under warranty. The new pan is made of sheet metal, poorly fabricated at best, it doesn't leak, yet! Needless to say, I won't recommend or purchase an American Standard product, period.