Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2016-11-01 Name: Tanya Newman
Location: Florida

"Hot in Florida"
Purchased air unit two and a half months ago. It has broken twice in 97 degree weather. Not happy at all.

Date created: 2016-11-01 Name: WernerJB
Location: Southwest Ranches, FL

"Worst AC I ever had"
I changed from Rheem to American Standard and it was the worst decision I have ever made. After 4 years the unit was still under warranty but my AC contractor charged me $400.00 for an new solenoid which should have cost less than $100.00. A few month later I had to pay $1100.00 for a new compressor. Remember, the unit is still under warranty and the parts were free - or at least they were supposed to be free and only labor was supposed to be paid. Well, I got charged for the solenoid $1600.00 hourly rate since it takes no more than 15 minutes to change it. And I got charged $350.00 per hour for the exchange of the compressor. Now I'm not saying that American Standard is at fault for choosing bad contractors. I'm saying if the units would be of better quality these issues would not have happened. I will never buy an American Standard again.

Date created: 2016-10-20 Name: Mary Gray
Location: Plano, TX

"Hunk of junk"
We bought two American Standard units 5 years ago. One has been perfect. The other has been a complete lemon. We've had the thermostat replaced; the evaporator coil replaced; and finally (last week) had a very large leak in the condenser coil fixed, where copper had been rubbing copper. According to the technician, this was a manufacturing defect. This has been quite costly and should not happen on an air conditioner of this age. My husband and I are both disgusted and would never recommend this brand to anyone. We were told it was supposed to be one of the best when we bought it, and as a result we were willing to pay more for it. Our former Armstrong and Carrier units far out-performed this American Standard hunk-of-junk and were much less expensive. I tried to call American Standard to get help with the repair bills ($1500) on this one unit, and I got nowhere. They have no pride in ownership over their manufacturing of these units. The guy I got was totally inept on the phone and only further angered me at the situation of this failing air conditioner. We expected for this unit to last at least 10 years, but it already seems like it is on its last leg and it is hard to know how much more to spend on this system that has been so faulty. It's amazing how parts start failing right after they are out of warranty!

Date created: 2016-09-19 Name: John
Location: Louisiana

"Crap"
Have a large home, 5 units. After five years the coils began to leak in all five units. Have already replaced four of the five, just after the warranties expired. Have also replaced three of the compressors. I bought this brand because I was told at the time it was the best. Well, I wish I had never heard of American Standard. I recommend if anyone is considering American Standard, run, don't walk, to another brand

Date created: 2016-08-09 Name: Anthony
Location: Northeast

"Never again purchase"
Absolute junk. The air handler burned up 2 weeks after installation, now the condensing unit is tripping the breaker.

Date created: 2016-07-19 Name: K. Wronski
Location: Parma, OH

"Good"
Don't have any idea what series of unit I have. However, it was installed in 1968 and I just called to have it looked at. I have lived in my house since 1986 so it's been 30 years and no issues until now. Will see on Thursday what is wrong and hopefully it's not a big problem or else it's going to be a hot summer.

Date created: 2016-07-09 Name: Michael D
Location: Woodbridge, NJ

"American Standard 5000"
I have an American Standard 3 ton split system central AC, installed in 1992. It's called the 5000 and was the highest efficiency unit available at that time, about 13 SEER. Do you believe it has never needed service!. It is running perfectly with no mechanical issues. I believe Trane /American Standard is the best unit you can buy. It is used almost daily from May through September in a northern climate.

Date created: 2016-07-07 Name: Carole Althardt

"Do not buy American Standard"
2 years light use on a coil when it got holes in it. Warranty does not cover labor or Freon. So, a very expensive repair that should not have been needed at all. Junk.

Date created: 2016-07-07 Name: J. McCaffrey
Location: Boone, IA

"American Standard air"
I purchased this unit (air and furnace) nine years ago, paid for a gold plan that costs nearly $300.00 a year from Neighbors in Ames, Iowa, and now I'm told that I need a new air conditioner. I am very, very unhappy and would never purchase this brand again.

Date created: 2016-07-05 Name: Dale
Location: Kansas

"Dealer dissatisfaction"
As a former American Standard HVAC Dealer I can concur with most reviews of dissatisfaction about American Standard and Trane products. As a reputable Dealer in the state of Kansas we began having trouble with this brand shortly after Ingersoll Rand bought the American Standard Company which also manufactures Trane. Changes were made to their products utilizing cheap manufactured parts (Not! Made in the USA). We experienced an unusual amount of warranty work that we fully honored to keep our customers satisfied. This created a burden on our business's bottom line which eventually caused us to stop selling the American Standard- Trane line of products. We also experienced horrible customer service with not only the manufacturer but our distributor as well, from which we had purchased equipment amounting to hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years. I am not sharing this information just out of frustration or to sell another product line. I just hope to aid you in what will be a very expensive purchase. So this is what I recommend: Ask your friends and neighbors about their experiences with local dealerships, if you are new to an area go online and read customer Dealer reviews. Yes the product line is somewhat important but almost all manufacturers carry the same warranties. An honest Dealer, experienced installation and knowledgeable regular maintenance are your best bet to ensure an HVAC system that will serve you well for many years to come. I pray that this has been helpful.