Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2018-08-12 Name: A DeSpain
Location: Edmond, OK

"Do not buy American Standard Air Conditioners"
It has been almost 3 months since the upstairs air conditioner went out. The air conditioner was in a 4-year-old house, so it was under warranty. They came out and put a new compressor in and charged $900 for labor. However, the new compressor does not adequately cool the upstairs. We called them back. They found an oil leak, still not cooling satisfactorily. They said it was the big window we had. The window has not changed and was there when the old air conditioner cooled properly. Next excuse was technician was ill. They came out and took pictures. Now, 3 months later, it is still not fixed.. We get the run around about who is at fault. We live upstairs in my sonís house and have had to move out to my daughterís. Needless to say, the company warranty is worthless. First, it was not good that the air conditioner was only 4 years old. Secondly, when the 1st technician could not fix it, they should have sent another technician, or the company should replace the air conditioner. Obviously, either the compressor is too small and not like the original one, or there is some other breakdown in the system. We have been more than patient. It has been nearly 3 months and we want to move home.

Date created: 2018-08-09 Name: Ray Townsend
Location: Murfreesboro, TN

"Allens Air Care"
Paid over $7000 last year for this central heat and air unit. It has stopped working four times so far and the installer has come out another time to drill a hole in the cabinet to release standing water. Allens Air sold me this crap and highly recommended it. I now know why they did; because there is only a one year warranty on labor and they asked double what another company did for warranty work. He told me he does a lot of American Standard repairs and doesn't recommend them to anyone because they come from Mexico. A very cheaply made unit.
Date created: 2018-08-07 Name: Roy Raiter
Location: Florida

"Super unreliable!!!!"
I just purchased 11 super expensive, new 2.5 ton over and under units for my office building and 5 out of the 11 already broke down in less than 1.5 years!!! Regardless to the inconvenience, it cost me a big financial damage, since I had to close the business for few days each time (it's Florida), and pay to the ac guy for replacing the motors after the 1st year!!!!
Date created: 2018-07-08 Name: Jack DeSpain
Location: Edmond, OK

"Compressor went out in 4 years"
The 4-year-old compressor went out and was under warranty. We used the person recommended to do the work and it was replaced, but the labor was over $900. However, the repair gave insufficient cooling. When we called them back, they found an oil leak, but it still did not cool sufficiently. We called them back and they said it was because of our large window. That makes no sense since the window has always been there and the cooling was fine. It has still not been fixed and it went out about May 22nd. The urgency of the warranty service company has certainly been lacking. I would not purchase American Standard again since it went out in only four years and the warranty service is terrible.
Date created: 2018-07-02 Name: Mike Lecamus
Location: League City, Texas

"Piece of junk"
I purchased this sorry piece of crap almost five years ago. It's been a horrendous experience, to say the least. Between the water leaks from the attic furnace and the AC blower, it's been nothing but hell. I have rental property that has better equipment than this half assed built unit. The drain pan under the AC coils was made of plastic. The installer should have returned the unit at the day of installation, however he chose to smear sealant on the cracked drain pan, therefore setting up a water leak that required a new drain pan that fortunately was covered under warranty. The new pan is made of sheet metal, poorly fabricated at best, it doesn't leak, yet! Needless to say, I won't recommend or purchase an American Standard product, period.
Date created: 2018-06-29 Name: Bryan Schoch
Location: North Carolina

"American Standard unit is a lemon"
They have just "respectfully declined" to replace my unit on the house even though it is dead and needing repair again after the fourth time it has broken in the four years since the unit has been installed. Two times it was a manufacturing defect that rubbed two lines together and leaked all the refrigerant. One time the condenser coil was leaking and needed to be replaced. And one time the unit was on fire when the blower motor burned up. I have spent almost $1500 repairing this unit and it cost me $5300 to replace. American Standard refuses to do anything but offer me a credit towards the repair that won't even cover full cost of the repair.
Date created: 2018-06-27 Name: Jay Walker
Location: Chicago, IL

"Terrible"
Had it installed and installed didnít remove their shoes.
Date created: 2018-06-27 Name: Waytoohot
Location: Southcoast, MA

"Simply Horrible"
Compressor began to make loud grinding noises after 2 years the locked- up in the 5th year. Registered for the 12 year warranty but after 4 weeks, the new compressor is not here. Awful. Awful. Awful... Do not buy from American Standard. Simply not worth the premium since they don't stand behind them.
Date created: 2018-05-22 Name: Wayne B
Location: New Jersey

"Expensive Junk"
We got an American Standard / Trane furnace and air conditioner installed in 2011 and we've had it repaired at least 5 times since then. After only 3 years, the condenser fan motor broke during the middle of the summer when it was really hot. After another 3 years, the furnace motor went and we paid $900 to get that fixed. After another 2 years, the condenser motor broke again to the tune of $900. Now I'm going to take this manufacturer to small claims court if their warranty service won't reimburse me. I don't even care if I get my money back, I just want to cost them some money by having to send their lawyer out.
Date created: 2018-05-15 Name: Alice Reinhardt
Location: Missouri

"This AC should not be sold to anyone"
I replaced my whole house ac about five years ago and have had nothing but trouble, I had seven service calls last year and the problem was never fixed for more than 2 weeks. I am replacing it this May 2018 I can't go thru another summer with on again off again air, they do not stand behind their product. Beware do not buy American Standard.