Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2017-07-05 Name: J. Bud
Location: Leesburg, VA

"Extended Warranty Worthless"
Salesman offered an American Standard 10-Year Extended Warranty as part of the purchase deal. When the coil failed, nether American Standard not their local dealer would honor the warranty. The reason given was that I had not paid for a dealer annual service contract. That contract is priced at $300 per year, meaning that the included 10-year warranty would cost $3000 over the warranty period. Without it, the warranty is apparently worthless. In 5 years, I've had the coil fail on both of my 2 units, paid to replace relays and capacitors, had a system leak, and had field mice manage to get into the control box (which is not sealed in any way). Poor equipment and a worthless warranty is a bad combination.

Date created: 2017-06-09 Name: Dickie Mohre
Location: Cape Cod, MA

"43 years in the industry"
I have been in the industry for 43 years! I have sold all models and sizes of American Standard a/c equipment! From 8 Seer up to 22 Seer Accu- Link Systems! Its Amazing how cs rates its equipment from coast to coast! I'm in the northeast and between my vendor and the product of American Standard I couldn't be happier! Great product, best tech support in the industry from my vendor and overall a product that delivers both in a/c and Furnaces!

Date created: 2017-06-09 Name: B Gaume
Location: Dallas, TX

"Crappy unit"
Purchased this unit in 2012 at advice of our service provider when our old unit was dying and have had nothing but problems with it since. Over 30 service tickets in 5 years yet neither dealer nor American Standard deem it falls under warranty replacement. We have had just about every part replaced and it still cannot run for a full year without problems. Service provider just keeps replacing parts, says it will run fine now, but problems still persist. Contacted Trane/American Standard about warranty replacement and got nowhere with them. I sent them a copy of all my service records and they are reviewing them, but "since the unit is working at this time, there is nothing they can do." My husband has health issues and cannot take the heat at all, and of course, here it is the middle of June and the a/c has died again (2nd time this year so far).

Date created: 2017-05-28 Name: R. M.
Location: Miami, FL

"Never Again"
From the number of negative reviews I have encountered on different forums, it is clear that I made a mistake choosing the American Standard brand of a/C. Replaced a Rheem unit that ran flawlessly for 20 years until the condensation tray had rusted through and a noticeable reduction in cooling efficiency. Took the advice of my a/c technician that the American Standard brand was just about the best. Little did I know that his advice was not based on experience with the brand, but rather on sales incentives for selling units. Problems started within three months of installation. First service call was about noise coming from the air handler. The technician replaced the motor starting capacitor. That made no sense to me and did not clear the problem. Although the unit was under warranty, I was charged for the service call. Since installation, I have had 2 main contactors replaced and the noise from the air handler is now worse than ever. The noise is a squealing sound that only occurs whenever the outdoor temperature is above about 88 degrees F. It never occurs at night. Opening the air handler panel while the unit is working stops the noise immediately. I have run out of patience with this piece of junk and no one can find the problem.

Date created: 2017-02-22 Name: Jeff Watterson
Location: Little Rock, AR

"Excellent product"
A/C unit was installed in new construction in 2007 and have had no problems except with the contacts that ants got into. The unit operates in the South with high humidity and high temperatures during the summer months (May-September).

Date created: 2016-12-02 Name: Rhudson
Location: Missouri

"Bad equipment and lousy Customer Relations"
Start by saying, this is our 3rd American Standard unit. It is 18 months old and has been a total piece of junk. American Standard does not support their product or the dealers who install. At 3 months, had to fill with refrigerant, every 3 months or so, it breaks down. Currently been broken for 12 days. Have had two companies working on it. Neither can find out what is wrong, except that it will not run. First company Quality Air, will not provide any records of service and says nothing is wrong with unit. New company has spent about $1,200 in labor as of today with unit still not running. American Standard Customer Relations says they are working on it. They want to blame the installer of their product. We have spent over 30% of the purchase price in repairs for a unit that is only 18 months old and still under warranty. System has had to be filled with refrigerant at least 3 times, but American Standard says it is not their equipment at fault. Now, since I called customer relations, the leak has disappeared!!!!! What lousy support, 12 days down in winter, 9 days down this past summer. Don't buy American Standard, they won't support it.

Date created: 2016-11-01 Name: Tanya Newman
Location: Florida

"Hot in Florida"
Purchased air unit two and a half months ago. It has broken twice in 97 degree weather. Not happy at all.

Date created: 2016-11-01 Name: WernerJB
Location: Southwest Ranches, FL

"Worst AC I ever had"
I changed from Rheem to American Standard and it was the worst decision I have ever made. After 4 years the unit was still under warranty but my AC contractor charged me $400.00 for an new solenoid which should have cost less than $100.00. A few month later I had to pay $1100.00 for a new compressor. Remember, the unit is still under warranty and the parts were free - or at least they were supposed to be free and only labor was supposed to be paid. Well, I got charged for the solenoid $1600.00 hourly rate since it takes no more than 15 minutes to change it. And I got charged $350.00 per hour for the exchange of the compressor. Now I'm not saying that American Standard is at fault for choosing bad contractors. I'm saying if the units would be of better quality these issues would not have happened. I will never buy an American Standard again.

Date created: 2016-10-20 Name: Mary Gray
Location: Plano, TX

"Hunk of junk"
We bought two American Standard units 5 years ago. One has been perfect. The other has been a complete lemon. We've had the thermostat replaced; the evaporator coil replaced; and finally (last week) had a very large leak in the condenser coil fixed, where copper had been rubbing copper. According to the technician, this was a manufacturing defect. This has been quite costly and should not happen on an air conditioner of this age. My husband and I are both disgusted and would never recommend this brand to anyone. We were told it was supposed to be one of the best when we bought it, and as a result we were willing to pay more for it. Our former Armstrong and Carrier units far out-performed this American Standard hunk-of-junk and were much less expensive. I tried to call American Standard to get help with the repair bills ($1500) on this one unit, and I got nowhere. They have no pride in ownership over their manufacturing of these units. The guy I got was totally inept on the phone and only further angered me at the situation of this failing air conditioner. We expected for this unit to last at least 10 years, but it already seems like it is on its last leg and it is hard to know how much more to spend on this system that has been so faulty. It's amazing how parts start failing right after they are out of warranty!

Date created: 2016-09-19 Name: John
Location: Louisiana

"Crap"
Have a large home, 5 units. After five years the coils began to leak in all five units. Have already replaced four of the five, just after the warranties expired. Have also replaced three of the compressors. I bought this brand because I was told at the time it was the best. Well, I wish I had never heard of American Standard. I recommend if anyone is considering American Standard, run, don't walk, to another brand