Consumer Reviews of American Standard central air conditioners

Read more about American Standard central air conditioners

Date created: 2015-01-04 Name: Richard
Location: Riverside, CA

"Learn something"
I am an AC tech in Riverside, CA. These units are top of the line. I used to install them for a company in San Bernardino. A lot of these complaints (my unit only lasted 3, 4, or 5 years and the compressor kicked the bucket) are from crappy installations. When choosing a company, make sure you do your homework and find customer reviews. New systems should be vacuumed down (air and moisture removal) to at least 500 microns, old copper lines should be flushed out and a filter drier should be welded into the the liquid line. If not, your compressor will not last long. Also, be careful with fast-talking service technicians who try to sell you everything under the sun, including insulation in your attics. If you live in California beware of the hero program (a fat loan you pay on your property taxes for energy efficient equipment). Contractors will make you feel special, say that you qualify and then max you out on the price for your new system. And maxing you out equals 12 to 13 thousand dollars for a 16 SEER system with ducts.

Date created: 2014-11-19 Name: Timothy Smith
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

"Piece of junk"
My new unit only lasted 6 years and needed $1000 dollars worth of work on it! I tried to call the company, but they won't return my calls! I don't believe, after having paid $5,000 dollars, it needs to break that fast! My last unit, not an American Standard, lasted 25 years and was still running. I just replaced it because I thought it better be done! Big mistake! Don't buy American Standard, they won't back up the product....Junk!

Date created: 2014-09-04 Name: Kevin
Location: Central Illinois

"Satisfied"
My Allegiance 10 unit finally went out after 19 years and I just had the unit and coil replaced with a Silver 2.5t. I am told by others that almost 20 years is fantastic. I could have saved money by changing the unit only, which was r22 fluid, but had the 13 seer condenser and r410a coil replaced for long-term savings. After seeing others complaints, I hope for longevity and hope I didn't make a mistake, which I would blame on nafta and poor quality control.

Date created: 2014-07-28 Name: Grace Sheahan
Location: Mississauga, On Canada

"A/C unit - American Standard isn't very standard!"
We just had an American Standard Air conditioner installed a few months ago and have already had two service calls, as the entire a/c unit froze up, twice! The first time we woke up to water in the basement from all the condensation and the 2nd time, we found ice formed on the outside walls of the unit in our basement. We also found that when the unit starts up, it is very noisy. The unit was install by Northwood Heating and A/C and I would never recommend them either! Problem #1, trying to get a hold of someone to look at the problem, is almost next to impossible and problem #2, each technician, as we have seen several, contradicts the one before. They know very little about American Standard A/C units and in my opinion, if you don't know enough about a product, perhaps you shouldn't sell it! If you're going to go with a new a/c unit, I say stick to Lennox and go with someone more reputable for the installation.

Date created: 2014-07-25 Name: Judith Sessions
Location: St Helena Island, SC

"Rotten service"
My installer put this ac in 13 months ago. I have a bad evaporator coil..have been waiting for a part since July 2.. The ac is under warranty..and they won't ship the part -- back ordered. My installer says I have to pay for the labor, freon, etc. This is ridiculous! This company should be forced to be live up to their guarantees...but they don't care..they could not get a worse reputation by owners..what is wrong with Consumer reports.?

Date created: 2014-06-21 Name: Paul Shumway
Location: Maple Park! IL

"Condensing Unit"
Our American Standard Air Conditioner died in it's 6th year of operation. Total Junk! American Standard should stick to making toilets.

Date created: 2014-06-17 Name: Wayne Johnson
Location: St. Paul MN

"Consumer Reports"
Consumer Reports July 2014 issue reports that American Standard has the best manufactured air conditioner. Some of the reviews here look more installer related than product related. No HVAC equipment will operate correctly if not installed correctly.

Date created: 2014-06-03 Name: Susie Custer
Location: Pearsall

"Owner"
Any American standard AC/furnace unit is pure crap! We have two central units ! First copper coil leaked In one year, second copper coil In 18 months!! The Copper is thin and gets holes and leaks!!! I would not buy American standard if they gave me units! ******Beware of mike at sub zero in Devine, tx!! His prices are actually quaduple in price for exact coil replacement. Plus it took Mike 29 days to order a coil!! New company that replaced second coil took 4 days.

Date created: 2014-05-23 Name: dennis mcnemar
Location: zephyrhills fl. 33541 lot 392

"MR."
This unit is junk. I have a 10 year warranty. You will fix this unit. I live in Fl . and I am over 70 fix it or replace it. My ph # is 813-788- 9391 call me if you have the balls.

Date created: 2014-05-20 Name: Gary Hobbs
Location: wofford hts, ca

"Gary hobbs"
Installed AC in 2003. 3 years later the compressor went out. Replaced. 7 years later the compressor went out again. American Standard would not replace compressor because they say it is from time of original installation that their warranty covers. What they're selling is junk. I called 5 times to get some resolution and the happy run around. I hope everybody within this internet review reads this and stays away from these modern day Jessie James crooks. Hope you lose a lot of business because of your way of helping the people that trusted your products. I know I'm just talking to the wall but it helps me vent my frustration with American Standard. Gary Hobbs 818 406 8435