Consumer Reviews of AMANA central air conditioners

Read more about AMANA central air conditioners

Date created: 2011-04-03 Name: Tom
Location: San Diego, California

"Good A/C"
I have read somewhere that most A/C problems are caused by poor installation, and I totally believe it, I have seen some junky installations! This Amana was installed by the best technicians, and it was operating flawlessly for the past two years. The two-speed scroll compressor is great. The unit is coupled to a Goodman (same brand) two speed air handler, both working great, zero problems.

Date created: 2011-03-25 Name: L White
Location: San Antonio, TX.

"Waste your MONEY"
I bought the system to replace an older system. Every year it has cost me enough sweat to buy a top of the line unit. That is it, I want to get rid of it no matter what. If you buy it, beware!!! It will cost you, not in the parts, but in the refrigerent. R410A is expensive and so is labor!!!! They will gladly replace the parts, but if the part causes the refrigerent to leak so sorry for you. GO WITH ANOTHER BRAND!!!! I have warned you.

Date created: 2011-03-18 Name: D. Mac

"Crap"
Bought a Amana 6 years ago and of course it went out of warranty last year. Like it would matter, they don't have the part to fix it anyways. Last unit I had in my home last 20 plus years. I will never buy a Amana again. High price piece of garbage!

Date created: 2010-11-08 Name: M. Caldwell
Location: Florida

"Do Not Honor Warranty!"
My home was built in 2006, in 2009 my AC unit failed. I had a tech. out and he put freon in and everything was fine for 1 year until it happened again in 2010. At this point a small leak was found in the coil and here is where the trouble is. I went to the Amana/Goodman website and typed in the model and serial #'s. What good luck I thought, my outside unit is covered 10 years parts and labor, my inside unit read that standard warranty information was not available. Long story short Amana/ Goodman warranty process manager is telling me due to human error, I do NOT have 10 years parts and labor only parts. As far as my inside unit it only has 5 years parts warranty. The 2 units were installed at the same time why would they have a different warranty so dramatic? I am calling the Better Business Bureau on this company, it seems my only recourse is to maybe protect other homeowners so this will not happen to them. I caution ALL future homeowners, if you are to purchase a house and it has a Goodman/ Amana air conditioner make sure you see the warranty! The Goodman/Amana warranty process manager said she would need to see the original warranty from the original owner of the home that I bought to honor what I got off off the Amana/Goodman website!!! ...That was over a year ago and unfortunatly the women had cancer and that is why she was selling the house in the first place! BEWARE OF AMANA/GOODMAN THEY ARE NOT INTERESTED IN THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!!!

Date created: 2010-10-05 Name: S. Atchley
Location: Katy, TX

"23 yrs old"
My Amana A/C is 23 yrs old and has been running with almost no problems. The only problems I had had really came from technicians who wanted to overcharge it with freon! Last summer, for the first time, a capacitor needed replacement, and the fan motor went out. This year, I replaced a contact. All told, that is less than $1,000 spent on repairs or maintenance in 23 years on my A/C, and it has continued to cool in Texas' heat extremely well! I have no complaints. I just worry what to do when I have to replace it one year, because I know I will also have to replace my 31-yr old electric furnace because of the coolant changes!

Date created: 2010-10-05 Name: S. Atchley
Location: Katy, TX

"Amana A/C"
My Amana A/C was installed just in time for my oldest daughter's wedding in July 1987! We had the reception at the house and many family gatherings since. Only in the last year has this unit begun to show its age and I worry I may need to replace it in a few years. It is still going at 23 years old, and I doubt I have spent even $1,000 on it in that time!

Date created: 2010-09-27 Name: D. Dellwo
Location: Houston, TX

"Amana = Garbage"
Purchased our home new in 2002 and it came with a 4-ton Amana unit. All I can say is, "WHAT AN UTTER PIECE OF GARBAGE!!!!!" Constantly having leaking coils and other problems -- I have replaced numerous components during the time I've owned the home. Next unit will be a quality unit like a Trane.

Date created: 2010-09-13 Name: b. branch
Location: Rockledge,Ga.30454

"4 ton"
8 months old and will not cool below 77 degrees when outside air is 80 they have worked on it 5 0r 6 times the dealer does not know what he is doing.I got stuck with duck work that did not work . had it replace with hard pipe by a different dealer,but it still will cool.

Date created: 2010-08-31 Name: R Marcano
Location: Garner, NC

"DO NOT PURCHASE - AC is money pit"
I have a 2800 sq foot home and two Amana AC units. I bought the home brand new 3 years ago and in the last 2 years I have paid over $1000 to have the unit fixed twice. I have argued with the builder who points his finger at the installer of the unit who then points to the manufacturer who points to the installer. Basically I have spent too much money on a unit that I had no choice in the matter of purchasing. I have gone through 2 evaporator coils, tons of freon, a supposed leak (yeah right) and several tripped and blown fuses DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY - spend the extra money and get a trane (sp) it will be beneficial in th elong run

Date created: 2010-08-18 Name: Bill W.
Location: New Caney, TX

"Wooo. This system rocks."
I had my AMANA (5ton 16seer) installed in our 1984sq ft, 2009, EnergyStar, Zone1, Palm Harbor home last Saturday by AveryAir out of Houston, TX. The unit that came with the home was a Builders Grade, 4ton 13seer, R22, NorDyne unit. I had a bad evap coil replaced by a contractor. He pulled a vacume (29.92) and recharged the NorDyne system to specs. The NorDyne unit would strugle to keep the home temp @ 74 degrees. This strugle would start @ 12:30pm and wouldn't end until 1:00am. At times I would come in the house and it would be 84 degrees @ or about 6:00pm. I called 3 different contractors to come out to check my unit. Everyone of them said the same thing. "Everything checks-out ok, its working fine." My electric bill said something different. I called AveryAir to come out go over everything that I have now and we came up with the 5ton, 16seer unit, $3,500 mfg rebate and a $1,500 Tax credit. This new system does not strugle, even in 109 degree heat index. The system will now cycle. It holds 74 with very little effort. I love this unit. Also, this unit is Super Quiet inside and out. It looks like I might be able to buy that new Bass boat with the savings on my electric bill. We'll see