Consumer Reviews of AMANA central air conditioners

Read more about AMANA central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-09-13 Name: b. branch
Location: Rockledge,Ga.30454

"4 ton"
8 months old and will not cool below 77 degrees when outside air is 80 they have worked on it 5 0r 6 times the dealer does not know what he is doing.I got stuck with duck work that did not work . had it replace with hard pipe by a different dealer,but it still will cool.

Date created: 2010-08-31 Name: R Marcano
Location: Garner, NC

"DO NOT PURCHASE - AC is money pit"
I have a 2800 sq foot home and two Amana AC units. I bought the home brand new 3 years ago and in the last 2 years I have paid over $1000 to have the unit fixed twice. I have argued with the builder who points his finger at the installer of the unit who then points to the manufacturer who points to the installer. Basically I have spent too much money on a unit that I had no choice in the matter of purchasing. I have gone through 2 evaporator coils, tons of freon, a supposed leak (yeah right) and several tripped and blown fuses DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY - spend the extra money and get a trane (sp) it will be beneficial in th elong run

Date created: 2010-08-18 Name: Bill W.
Location: New Caney, TX

"Wooo. This system rocks."
I had my AMANA (5ton 16seer) installed in our 1984sq ft, 2009, EnergyStar, Zone1, Palm Harbor home last Saturday by AveryAir out of Houston, TX. The unit that came with the home was a Builders Grade, 4ton 13seer, R22, NorDyne unit. I had a bad evap coil replaced by a contractor. He pulled a vacume (29.92) and recharged the NorDyne system to specs. The NorDyne unit would strugle to keep the home temp @ 74 degrees. This strugle would start @ 12:30pm and wouldn't end until 1:00am. At times I would come in the house and it would be 84 degrees @ or about 6:00pm. I called 3 different contractors to come out to check my unit. Everyone of them said the same thing. "Everything checks-out ok, its working fine." My electric bill said something different. I called AveryAir to come out go over everything that I have now and we came up with the 5ton, 16seer unit, $3,500 mfg rebate and a $1,500 Tax credit. This new system does not strugle, even in 109 degree heat index. The system will now cycle. It holds 74 with very little effort. I love this unit. Also, this unit is Super Quiet inside and out. It looks like I might be able to buy that new Bass boat with the savings on my electric bill. We'll see

Date created: 2010-08-12 Name: MED
Location: COLORADO

"AMANA= HORRIBLE"
We purchased a Amana central air conditioning unit 10 years ago. We live in CO. and only use it two months out of the year. After the first year we began having problems - including many electrical components, the fan needing to be replaced and adding freon numerous times. Now, the compressor went out and we need to either replace it which is 2K or purchase a new unit. I called the compliance center which basically said there was nothing they could do. If you want to make a large investment only to continue to pay your HVAC person a few hundred every year to then have to purchase another unit after 10 years- AMANA/Goodman is your company! Save your money and time- purchase a different make

Date created: 2010-08-09 Name: C. Pobjecky

"Amana A/C"
I have had an Amana a/c and furnace for 12 years and almost to the day of the 12th year my a/c went out. Going to replace with another brand because the cost to fix was just about the price of a new one. The service area that I bought the furnace and a/c from went out of business. Hopefully my furnace will last a little longer.

Date created: 2010-08-05 Name: D. Glover
Location: Oklahoma

"Not Sure WHat to do with this thing"
I purchased an Amana 3-1/2 ton system in September of 2008. Since that time, the contractor has gone out of business. The contractor that took over his customers (franchise) has been out 5 times this summer alone for various issues (not cooling, freezing, supposedly dirty compressor). It's hot here in Oklahoma and the system I purchased I believe is a piece of crap, that I seem to be stuck with. If a company offers you a no lemon guarantee on these units, run!!!!!

Date created: 2010-08-05 Name: Laurence Lareau

"30 Year Tech Tells You This Advice:"
99%+ of the time, when you have compressor or other problems it's an installation issue. How can the engineers of ANY brand know what kind of idiot is installing your equipment? If it's installed according to specifications, it runs according to specifications, without problems. That is why you have excellent units (Good Installer) and troublesome units (Idiot Installer) in any brand. Amana makes some of the best A/C equipment made, and the absolute very best gas furnaces on the market.

Date created: 2010-07-28 Name: A. Amen
Location: Sacramento

"It must be the installer"
Replaced a 35 yr old unit with Amana 3 ton 16 seer 2 stage on roof. It is a combo heat/ac. This was 30 days ago. Very satisfied. It cools great even in a house from 1952 with no insulation in the walls. It is quiet. I live near Sacramento where it can get hot for extended periods. After reading all of the reviews, I went with the company that charged a little more but included a 15 yr parts and a 10 yr labor warranty. After checking out the company, Griener Heating and Air, found out they are completely customer satisfaction oriented. They pressure checked my ducting and repaired as needed. They also have called me since completion and made sure everything was to my satisfaction and thanked me for my business.

Date created: 2010-07-20 Name: Chris Lamb

"Will never buy Amana again"
We bought a new house with 2-5 ton Amana a/c 14 seer units. Supposedly, their best units. We closed in January 2007 and have had nothing but expensive trouble with the units. One entire unit has been replaced and rebuilt (compressor, fan motor, cooling vans, etc.) and now we are starting to have trouble with the other unit with failed cooling lines to the compressor. The Amana scam is that warranty is for replacement parts only and you get stuck with all the labor and coolant recharge costs. The unit that had the cooling vane replaced cost us almost a $1000 in labor, coolant and testing. The unit today with the failed line will cost us about $570 to replace a warranty part that failed. This set-up is criminal! What happened to building a quality product and standing behind it?

Date created: 2010-07-03 Name: Paul Amodeo

"ammana exterior air conditioner condenser package"
Base of the exterior cabinet is rusting away in chunks. Contacted Amana and sent them photos. Their determination is caused by salt water corrosion as we are next to a canal. The picture I sent showed a pipe mast that telescopes and is all rusty. That mast is 30 yrs old and was used and rusty when I put it up but that's their excuse. My question is why are the 10,000 competitive units not rusting out. Those are mounted the same way next to the salt water canals. The local dealer/installer that put it in originally says it is from a water softener. I have lived in this house since 1988 and we do not have a water softener. You are faking to back out of the responsibility for inferior steel in the units fabrication.