Consumer Reviews of AMANA central air conditioners

Read more about AMANA central air conditioners

Date created: 2011-05-17 Name: L. Nee
Location: Whittier, CA

"The A/C and Heating Ever!"
I just replaced my 8 year old Trane system with this new Amana 14 SEER A/C unit. They replaced the furnace with a 80% 2-stage. What a huge difference. I am really shocked to read the bad reviews about Amana. I am sure glad I used Amana and I already have had my friends install Amana too. I think after reading these reviews that how it is installed has a lot to do with it. Good Luck and I hope this helped someone.

Date created: 2011-05-12 Name: R. Hall
Location: Kansas City, MO

"Don't waste your money!! Total piece of junk!!"
In order to zone my house, I had a horizontal unit installed in the attic. Long story short, I've had 16 service calls on the unit. One a-coil replaced, the entire airhandler replaced, the coil on the compressor replaced and now, the a-coil in the new air handler is leaking after only being in the house for 6 months. As of now, I can't even get the company that installed it to call me back. I'm sure they lost money on this sale!!

Date created: 2011-04-28 Name: BettyB
Location: Fairfax, VA

"Never Again"
I'm very disappointed to be shopping for a new central A/C unit after having the Amana installed only 9 years ago and it is already shot. Thankfully I had a service contract which covered the last two whomping expensive repair jobs, but this time they tell me it would cost as much to fix it as to replace it. No A/C should only last 9 years or should have to have major repairs within that time. I'll never buy Amana again. Unfortunately I also replaced the furnace with an Amana at the same time and I'm hoping that won't give up the ghost next.

Date created: 2011-04-03 Name: Tom
Location: San Diego, California

"Good A/C"
I have read somewhere that most A/C problems are caused by poor installation, and I totally believe it, I have seen some junky installations! This Amana was installed by the best technicians, and it was operating flawlessly for the past two years. The two-speed scroll compressor is great. The unit is coupled to a Goodman (same brand) two speed air handler, both working great, zero problems.

Date created: 2011-03-25 Name: L White
Location: San Antonio, TX.

"Waste your MONEY"
I bought the system to replace an older system. Every year it has cost me enough sweat to buy a top of the line unit. That is it, I want to get rid of it no matter what. If you buy it, beware!!! It will cost you, not in the parts, but in the refrigerent. R410A is expensive and so is labor!!!! They will gladly replace the parts, but if the part causes the refrigerent to leak so sorry for you. GO WITH ANOTHER BRAND!!!! I have warned you.

Date created: 2011-03-18 Name: D. Mac

"Crap"
Bought a Amana 6 years ago and of course it went out of warranty last year. Like it would matter, they don't have the part to fix it anyways. Last unit I had in my home last 20 plus years. I will never buy a Amana again. High price piece of garbage!

Date created: 2010-11-08 Name: M. Caldwell
Location: Florida

"Do Not Honor Warranty!"
My home was built in 2006, in 2009 my AC unit failed. I had a tech. out and he put freon in and everything was fine for 1 year until it happened again in 2010. At this point a small leak was found in the coil and here is where the trouble is. I went to the Amana/Goodman website and typed in the model and serial #'s. What good luck I thought, my outside unit is covered 10 years parts and labor, my inside unit read that standard warranty information was not available. Long story short Amana/ Goodman warranty process manager is telling me due to human error, I do NOT have 10 years parts and labor only parts. As far as my inside unit it only has 5 years parts warranty. The 2 units were installed at the same time why would they have a different warranty so dramatic? I am calling the Better Business Bureau on this company, it seems my only recourse is to maybe protect other homeowners so this will not happen to them. I caution ALL future homeowners, if you are to purchase a house and it has a Goodman/ Amana air conditioner make sure you see the warranty! The Goodman/Amana warranty process manager said she would need to see the original warranty from the original owner of the home that I bought to honor what I got off off the Amana/Goodman website!!! ...That was over a year ago and unfortunatly the women had cancer and that is why she was selling the house in the first place! BEWARE OF AMANA/GOODMAN THEY ARE NOT INTERESTED IN THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!!!

Date created: 2010-10-05 Name: S. Atchley
Location: Katy, TX

"23 yrs old"
My Amana A/C is 23 yrs old and has been running with almost no problems. The only problems I had had really came from technicians who wanted to overcharge it with freon! Last summer, for the first time, a capacitor needed replacement, and the fan motor went out. This year, I replaced a contact. All told, that is less than $1,000 spent on repairs or maintenance in 23 years on my A/C, and it has continued to cool in Texas' heat extremely well! I have no complaints. I just worry what to do when I have to replace it one year, because I know I will also have to replace my 31-yr old electric furnace because of the coolant changes!

Date created: 2010-10-05 Name: S. Atchley
Location: Katy, TX

"Amana A/C"
My Amana A/C was installed just in time for my oldest daughter's wedding in July 1987! We had the reception at the house and many family gatherings since. Only in the last year has this unit begun to show its age and I worry I may need to replace it in a few years. It is still going at 23 years old, and I doubt I have spent even $1,000 on it in that time!

Date created: 2010-09-27 Name: D. Dellwo
Location: Houston, TX

"Amana = Garbage"
Purchased our home new in 2002 and it came with a 4-ton Amana unit. All I can say is, "WHAT AN UTTER PIECE OF GARBAGE!!!!!" Constantly having leaking coils and other problems -- I have replaced numerous components during the time I've owned the home. Next unit will be a quality unit like a Trane.