Consumer Reviews of AMANA central air conditioners

Read more about AMANA central air conditioners

Date created: 2013-01-13 Name: D.Seal
Location: Lake Charles, LA

"Bad Smell When Switching From AC to Heat"
I purchased a 14 seer Amana in July 2011. When I switch from heat to cold the unit puts out a terrible smell in my house for several days. The unit runs ok, but this smell is awful. Someone told me this was due to the material used to make the coils. My ac guy has come out and sprayed disinfectant on the coils but this is a temporary fix. If you guy an Amana I would warn you to research this issue and which models has this stinky coils. I just contacted the company and I sure hope they rectify this issue.

Date created: 2012-12-16 Name: E. Bell
Location: Central Florida

"Amana very bad choice"
After building several houses, living in 10 others, finally settling down in my last house; I get an Amana Distinctions air conditioner. Awful! I have replaced the coil once, and now 2 years later it needs replacing again. The company that installed it, no better; telling me when I asked why- It is a piece of junk- No joke, then why didn't you tell me to start with. Now their suggestion is to replace it. I have never had this much trouble ever with any air conditioner. I am very upset.

Date created: 2012-11-14 Name: Bruce Newell
Location: San Diego, CA

"Unit is a piece of trash"
We had out AC/heater unit installed November of 2009. Since then, we have had 3 major repairs costing almost $1000 each. Soon it will be cheaper to just replace this unit than to keep fixing it every 6 months to a year. When it works it is fine, although sometimes noisy, but it goes out too often for comfort. The company was no help when I approached them about it. I would NEVER buy another AMANA nor would I suggest anyone buy AMANA. This is just a piece of trash.

Date created: 2012-10-18 Name: T. Pruitt
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Very Dissatisfied Customer"
Purchased unit in 2002 for $4,000. 3 warranty calls in first 5 years. After 5 years of service (warranty period), spent over $6,500 in repairs over next 5 years. Replaced every component but compressor. Constant leaks of oil and refrigerant. Last repair bill over $1000. Decided to replace (2012). Got a Trane. Will never buy another Amana product.

Date created: 2012-08-18 Name: p huss
Location: wisconsin

"Like said installer lnstaller installer"
Like said I think its all about who installed the unit. Installed a 13seer amana march 2012. Great unit so far. Set at 78 and its to cold for me. As for the warranty I am sure I paid extra for this but I am ok with that because for next 20 years everything is covered parts and labor and the compressor lifetime. I installed a amana furnace at the sametime and same type warranty and I am just as happy. a Big Thank To The good guys in appleton wi. I can not say enough about how good they where from start to finish. Will again as needed in the future.

Date created: 2012-07-22 Name: Robert Plasid
Location: Houston Tx

"Amana Is Top Of The Line."
The problem with the internet is any one can slam anything or anyone, any other mfg can smear the other homeowner. Facts are the people that are very happy with their Equipment on any Mfg model are not out here venting their problems. Trane Carrier Amanna Goodman all are good units How they are installed and maintaned or used, I love it on a service call. when I go out for a problem there always a New filter and the unit shines. Stop by without calling and I have found no filter installed or so dirty that it was about to be sucked up. I'm going to sum this up. How can every other person be happy and five stars and every other bitting the Bullet, Find out the truth, there a lot more to every story, Installation is the key, Outlaw DIY and 99% of the problems will be solved.

Date created: 2012-07-21 Name: S Mooney
Location: Charlotte NC

"Cold & Happy"
My Amana ASX 14 has kept me cold for 12 years. The ac keeps running and has never given me a issue. Happy customer.

Date created: 2012-07-11 Name: Subject Matter Expert
Location: Missouri

"Air Conditioning Bliss"
Customers of Amana or any brand for that matter. If your system has to be charged with freon it is not Amana's fault. It is (who) you selected to install it. If your system is less than 5 years old and you were charged to repair anything on your unit it was installed incorrectly. Again, (who) the company you select is very important. Cheap labor is not necessarily skilled and skilled labor is not necessarily cheap. You get what you pay for. Amana is Awesome! How could you rate anything but 5 stars?

Date created: 2012-06-28 Name: W. Billings
Location: Key Largo, FL

"Could have done better"
Decided to replace our old ac when remodeling the house, and chose the Amana based on our now former tech's recommendation, and the warranty. After the install we discovered we couldn't run only the fan like we've been able to do with every other unit we've had. We've had two repair calls that the new tech attributed to power surges. The "lifetime" filter is a joke, stops only the largest debris, and allows everything else to deposit itself on the coils. Also found out, from the former tech, that annual service didn't include cleaning the coils and would cost several hundred dollars. To add insult to injury the size of the "lifetime" filter is is different than every other filter on the market, and the ones we had custom made cause the unit to whistle and howl. When it works it works well, but we certainly haven't saved any money with our new, energy efficient air conditioner.

Date created: 2012-06-28 Name: Jack E
Location: columbia SC

"Just Keeps Going"
My wife and I have had an Amana ac and furnace for 16 years. The system works great!!! I have not had to spend $1 to fix the system :). I will buy Amana for life!