Consumer Reviews of AMANA central air conditioners

Read more about AMANA central air conditioners

Date created: 2013-04-24 Name: Michael
Location: Sylmar, CA

"Very disappointed"
17 months after installation, the compressor bound up. The serviceman insisted that the best remedy was to add an after-market "hard-start" compressor saver -- to the tune of $400!! Apparently this happens all the time -- I called the local distributor who had over 200 of thee "hard- start" devices in stock. Why in the world a company like Amana who's been making central air units for decades can't engineer a decent product beyond me. Goodbye forever, Amana -- and Goodman.

Date created: 2013-04-23 Name: T. Malone
Location: TX

"Never Amana again!"
I had an Amana Model RCC48C2C installed in my new build last 2005. I have maintained contact service since 2006 on all major appliances. Well, here we are in 2013 I had to replace one entire unit (I have two units one for each floor). I asked the installer about the Amana, quoting ..."a piece of crap" not his exact words but you get my drift. On my next build I will be diligently involved in all selection of what I want in my home, I never wanted to have a chance to spend another $7200 bill after 8 yrs!!

Date created: 2013-03-16 Name: Janet Helm
Location: Tampa, FL

"Goodman passed off for Amana!"
Within a 3 year period I had $10,000 investment and maintenance charges for this unit, in which the coil repeatedly broke down causing the unit to fail. I had to replace the entire thing at a cost of $6,200 in just 3 years. Bayside Heating and Air was the seller and did maintenance. They were more interested in selling me unecessary services than servicing the unit they installed.

Date created: 2013-03-06 Name: la

"Junk ac"
Amana is the biggest piece junk on the market. Do not install!!!!

Date created: 2013-02-25 Name: bruno

"AVOID AT ALL COST!"
In less than 6 years, we had to replace twice both the compressor tank and the condensation coil.

Date created: 2013-02-13 Name: G. Campbell
Location: Austin, TX

"Bad heat pumps!"
We have 3 amana units and have had nothing but problems with the 2 larger ones. We have replaced 1 condenser and several parts in the furnace. I don't think they have ever run like they should. We have had 5 different ac companies work on them and they have all virtually given up. I have called amana direct and all they do is give me a service company local to me. Just had another company they recommended out and still not fixed after 2 days of trying to figure it out and now I have not heard from them in 3 weeks. Guess they cut their losses. It amazes me that amana offer lifetime free parts for their equipment yet no one has a clue how to wire, operate and maintain them.

Date created: 2013-01-13 Name: John McAllister
Location: Aiken, SC

"Five Failures in Five Years"
My Amana heat pump is five years old (installed in new house). I am now looking at the fifth failure of this equipment in five years. The condenser has failed for the second time and even under warranty to replace the hardware, I am looking at $500 for labor and replacement freon. I have three different Amana systems in my house, and the other two systems (ac electric and natural gas heating) have experienced four failures in the five years. The last failure from one of these two systems occurred last summer. The parts (fan and controlling circuit board for fan) were ordered, and Amana told the repair person that the Amana policy was to wait 7 days before the replacement parts would be shipped, and we are talking non-fast shipment. I had to wait for two weeks before the part arrived. To get shipment earlier required extra money. The repair person said that he used to have Amana in his house, and got tried of fixing the sorry equipment. The repair person said that he would not recommend Amana to anyone as he is called to fix a lot of Amana equipment. Needless to say, I am now planning to replace the heat pump that is now broken. The replacement equipment will not be Amana.

Date created: 2013-01-13 Name: D.Seal
Location: Lake Charles, LA

"Bad Smell When Switching From AC to Heat"
I purchased a 14 seer Amana in July 2011. When I switch from heat to cold the unit puts out a terrible smell in my house for several days. The unit runs ok, but this smell is awful. Someone told me this was due to the material used to make the coils. My ac guy has come out and sprayed disinfectant on the coils but this is a temporary fix. If you guy an Amana I would warn you to research this issue and which models has this stinky coils. I just contacted the company and I sure hope they rectify this issue.

Date created: 2012-12-16 Name: E. Bell
Location: Central Florida

"Amana very bad choice"
After building several houses, living in 10 others, finally settling down in my last house; I get an Amana Distinctions air conditioner. Awful! I have replaced the coil once, and now 2 years later it needs replacing again. The company that installed it, no better; telling me when I asked why- It is a piece of junk- No joke, then why didn't you tell me to start with. Now their suggestion is to replace it. I have never had this much trouble ever with any air conditioner. I am very upset.

Date created: 2012-11-14 Name: Bruce Newell
Location: San Diego, CA

"Unit is a piece of trash"
We had out AC/heater unit installed November of 2009. Since then, we have had 3 major repairs costing almost $1000 each. Soon it will be cheaper to just replace this unit than to keep fixing it every 6 months to a year. When it works it is fine, although sometimes noisy, but it goes out too often for comfort. The company was no help when I approached them about it. I would NEVER buy another AMANA nor would I suggest anyone buy AMANA. This is just a piece of trash.