Consumer Reviews of AMANA central air conditioners

Read more about AMANA central air conditioners

Date created: 2015-10-25 Name: Larry

"Amana A/C, best choice I could have made"
I bought 2 Amana A/C-heating systems (a 4 ton and a 3 ton) 4.5 years ago and I couldn't be happier. I clean the outside coils once a year and change the filters once every 1.5 months. Except for that they have been maintenance free. The smaller unit's compressor seems to be a little louder from my bedroom but when I go outside I don't hear the difference between the 2. I wrote a review after the 1st year and still believe it is the installer that makes the difference between a good unit and a bad one. He installed 2 identical units for one of my neighbors and a 3 ton for another 1 year after mine and only 1 service call since on all 5 units.

Date created: 2015-09-25 Name: Elizabeth L.
Location: Houston, TX

"Works fine"
We have an Amana 14 SEER AC unit that was installed in 2012. It has functioned very well so far with no problems.

Date created: 2015-09-04 Name: rbristol
Location: Austin, TX

"Do not buy"
I had a 17-year old AC system that I knew was well beyond its life cycle, yet it performed well with annual check-ups. I decided to replace the system while a federal energy tax rebate system was in place. Two years after installing the Amana system, the coil started to leak gas. The local AC company performed a colored gas leak test, though unfortunately they did not bring the necessary UV lamp to confirm leakage. As a consequence, the system ran very inefficiently for the following summer season. The following spring, in the third year of ownership, a leak in the coil was confirmed. The coil was replaced, and while still under warranty, I paid nearly $900 for replacement labor. Now, during the fifth year of ownership, the system is again not cooling efficiently, and everything points to a gas leak at the coil. There are other AC systems similarly priced, so I am extremely disappointed that my investment price has increased substantially. Buy another system!

Date created: 2015-06-19 Name: R. Hill
Location: San Antonio, TX

"Don't buy"
Purchased an Amana 4 ton gas system in April 2008. In September 2009, I had to replace a leaking coil. On April 15, the system is leaking again. The dealer says they quit carrying the Amana brand due to the problems. They will try a stop leak on my system now if I pay the service charge and if I wait until fall and the coil is the problem again it will cost me $800 to replace it. Apparently the dealer feels it is my problem alone. If I have to replace the system it won't be this dealer.

Date created: 2015-04-08 Name: Luis Acosta
Location: Pearland, TX

"Is one of the best and quiet equipment"
Amana is the best brand.

Date created: 2015-03-30 Name: S Michaelson
Location: Vero Beach, FL

"Amana air conditiong and heat pump"
This unit has broken down at least 4 times in the 5 years we have lived here. It was new when we bought our new home. It has been serviced and still we have trouble. Today the air handler fan stopped working. You need to make a better product. I definitely would not buy this brand again.

Date created: 2015-03-19 Name: Alberto Aguilar
Location: Waterloo, IA

"9 years of owning and lots of problems"
I bought a warranty of 10 years and in the first 9 years of owning one I had to have it repaired about 5 or more times. I not only had the 10- year warranty but also bought a service agreement so that they will come and have it inspected. With all of that, the thing has had a vent fan issue, some of the electronics gone bad, and on and on. The latest is water leaking out of a plastic cover that was silicone and still leaks. If it serves anyone out there, I got this high efficiency furnace from One hour Gubbles. I'm not very impressed with the quality of the furnace nor their lack of desire to do a thorough repair on the plastic cover that is leaking. I think this thing is the dual stage variable speed fan. I would expect that a furnace will not experience so many failures in the first 9 years of its life, because once the warranty expires then huge expenses will come my way every time the furnace needs a repair. In prior homes I heard of people whose furnaces will last 20, 30 years and basically not need much repair (perhaps these were lower efficiency and simpler furnaces). This is a disappointment and likely an expensive one, since it's very likely I will have to find another furnace once the warranty expires.

Date created: 2014-11-14 Name: Lori Peterson
Location: United States

"Nothing but problems!"
We had a 4 ton / 16 SEER unit professionally installed in our house in 2011 to try to be more energy efficient, and we have had repeated issues with it. We've had to call for service no less than 6 times in the last 3 years. There have been a number of different problems - start capacitor, board malfunctions, leaks, and other things. We are currently running on emergency heat only because there appears to be a leak in the system again. We had the cheapest unit you can get in our starter home and didn't have to get service 1 time in the 10 years we lived there! The cheap unit we replaced in our current home was installed in another home, and they haven't had to call for service 1 time. We bought the Amana extended warranty and have had trouble finding repairmen who will do the work because they say Amana/Goodman cheats them out of the labor costs. We paid good money for the unit and labor but find ourselves wishing we had sprung the extra $2000 to go with Trane.

Date created: 2014-08-08 Name: Laurie Zinser

"Don't Buy"
We had periodic problems with Amana / Goodman ever since we bought our new home in 2007. After 7 years of use we had to replace the coil and other misc items with the unit. Stay away from Amana!

Date created: 2014-07-29 Name: Clara Gee
Location: Pearland,TX

"A/C"
I bought this 14 SEER A/C unit on 9/3/10. The compressor had to be replaced on 7/21/11 which was $1200 for labor. Now the coils, etc. in the attic are rusty. The labor to replace these items is $1300. I am extremely disappointed in this air conditioner. I would not buy this brand again.