Consumer Reviews of AMANA central air conditioners

Read more about AMANA central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-06-09 Name: T Johnson

"Numerous repairs in less than 10 months"
I purchased an amana ac unit in August of 08, it has already been repaired and now it is out again. Where I am, it is over 90 degrees and they are telling me that it will be 48 hours before they can get anyone out here. I have requested that they replace the unit since it is obviously a lemon, but they are refusing. It is 90+ degrees inside and unbearable. I was misled on this unit and it is a piece of crap. When I was speaking with the rep at Amana I heard him speaking with a supervisor in the background and he said "here is one for tomorrow" and the guy said "no, we can't confirm next day, it has to be two days". This is utter garbage. I even offered to have a local company that I could get here today to do it and pay half, but they refused.

Date created: 2009-05-05 Name: Lisa

"Very Quiet Unit"
I bought a foreclosure that had the unit stolen from it. I got an Amana 14 seer. I wanted to get an Amana because it has a lifetime warranty on the compressor. It is very quiet and runs well. I am so pleased!
Date created: 2009-05-02 Name: AMANA

"Wouldn't recommend this brand"
I have had 3 service calls due to freon leaks! First service call, couldn't find the leak, second service call, found leak within condensor, replaced the condensor. Now just had third service call and had different contractor which found leak in valve. I was very disappointed and was concerned because this year is the last year that I could refill with chlorine based freon. If there is leak, I would be supremely disappointed and stuck with useless system. I do not like the idea of shell out another three grand to replace the faulty system. Amana sucks!
Date created: 2009-04-30 Name: AMANA

"Love it"
My amana a/c died after turning 18 bought a new one much smaller and alomost slient compard my old one form what i've read theres differnt modles that are bag the compressor so there's almost no noise all I hear is the fan blowing
Date created: 2009-04-28 Name: AMANA

"Not A Good Idea"
Both the outside and inside units are noisy. It's required warranty service already for a damaged or defective drip pan. The "lifetime" filter doesn't filter, and a large volume of dirt and debris escaped the filter and deposited itself on the inside of the unit (clogged the cooling chamber fins). We tried using custom made disposable filters but the unit began making sounds like it was choking and in imminent danger of exploding, so we reinstalled the factory filter. It is supposed to be more effcient than the 15 year old unit we replaced, but we haven't noticed a difference in our electric bill. The first disappointment we had with the unit was that we cannot run just the fan to pull air through the house. It's either ac or nothing. Although the unit is only one year old we are seriously considering replacing it.
Date created: 2009-04-27 Name: AMANA

"In-window Amana Air Conditioner"
It is not central ac but I have to leave my opinion to help other potential buyers. Our Amana turned out to be moderatly loud and due to poor design constantly rattles. But the worst part is that by only 2nd summer it iced over and stopped working. We had to ship it to get serviced. Than it was returned but not re-installed, just dropped on the floor. Last evening I turned it on for the first time this year and it iced over again and stopped cooling!!! It was used for 6 summers, 2 months out each year, needed major repair before and is broken again. In addition, we bought an Amana refrigerator about the same time. It already had a broken compressor. stay away from anything amana!
Date created: 2008-12-19 Name: D Slaughter
Location: Missouri City, TX

"Amana A/C unit"
Recently purchased a home in Houston Texas, the house has two Amana A/C units one next to the guest bed room is so loud it keeps my guess up all night had to move them to another room other side of house. I am shocked. has anyone figured out what to do other than getting new units. I would never purchase this type unit.
Date created: 2008-08-26 Name: K Study
Location: Texas

"Ken"
I recently purchased an Amana 14 Seer 4 ton ac and furnace to replace my old York system. I am disappointed in how noisy my new unit is. The installer said it is because of the new refrigerant, higher operating pressures, and most of the compressors are the same regardless of brand. I need to check the specs. for average decibel levels. Check the noise level before you buy!
Date created: 2008-07-25 Name: Mitch
Location: West Des Moines, Iowa

"Amana central air"
Our old York central air unit finally died, after 45 years of hard service! I had several bids, but the warranty, local distributor, and the service was best with Amana. Pricing was competitive too, but these units are not only very efficient, but they are also very quiet. This is a new unit this spring (2009), so time will tell on the quality, but the warranty that was included gives us peace of mind.......
Date created: 2008-07-14 Name: Todd
Location: Adel, Iowa

"AWESOME UN IT"
This is a wonderful a/c unit. Very affordable and quiet. There is no question that my house is kept cooler than before.