Consumer Reviews of AMANA central air conditioners

Read more about AMANA central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-11-24 Name: Tom Skarvada

"Great unit"
This Amana condensing unit replaced the first of two Carrier units (several house zones). Talk about side by side comparison! The Amana unit is somewhat larger, but much quieter and much more efficient. The old Carrier used to blow fuse once is a while, the Amana does not, it just .... "chills!" Good job, Amana!

Date created: 2009-10-12 Name: RPG

"Amana"
After installing over 66,000 heating and air conditioning systems in the San Gabrial valley where it can get 105 degrees. I have installed 13 different manufacturers over the past 40 years. If you have a problem with Amana equipemt and have changed out the equipment. News Flash! Its not the equipments fault. You have an installation problem. Southern Calif. Edisons web site will tell you 70% of central heating and air conditioning systems are intalled wrong. The difference in equipment manufacturers is how they are built, cost and warranties but they will all perform the same just some last longer than others. How you install them is more important than the equipment you choose. Choose a professional installer that will follow the manufacturers installation instructions and puts it in writing. And stay away from the guys that don't follow manufacturers instructions that brag that can do the job in one day for an entire system. Amana is one of the finest manufacturers out there and stand behind their products.

Date created: 2009-09-23 Name: Jim E. Prestwood

"Piece of Junk"
I have a 16 seer/ 2 speed compressor unit.This was supposed to be one of Amanas' top of the line units. After they replaced the outside unit 2 times and the inside unit 3 times, the unit still has the same problem. The unit sweats. When I say sweat, to the point I have ruined sheetrock in my attic twice. To the point, water pours off the unit and the srews on the first unit were rusting after 6 months of service. Amana has added parts to the unit. They have wrapped the unit with insulation, and now they are wrapping it with foam insulation and duct board. Sounds like they have ammited they have a problem with this unit, they just keep trying to cover it up. I personnaly will never buy any Amana products again.

Date created: 2009-09-22 Name: JD, Wagner

"Not Happy"
Real nice, 2 years old and 3 different problems I was told not to buy a Amana from another dealer I should of listened. I also found out that it is the same unit as Goodman which if I know I would of never purchased.

Date created: 2009-08-12 Name: Doug T.

"Quiet and Cool"
We purchased a complete replacement of two zones worth of heating and air conditioning. 3 ton 2 stage 16 seer for the upstairs and 2 ton 2 stage 16 seer for downstairs each mated with a variable speed 95% efficient furnace units, and vision pro iaq thermostats. All this and some new ducting for some problem rooms the total install was under $10k, which beat the nearest competitors single stage system quotes by $4k. I will have to say that so far so good. I am very pleased with the cooling comfort, and the low noise of the systems. I do notice that you can hear more compressor noise on hotter days and its not because the second stage kicked in, but I am told that hotter outside ambient temperatures cause a heavier load on the system and the compressor works harder and makes more sound as a result but even at its loudest it's many times less noisy than the old builder grade crap we replaced. The units are made by Goodman and if you read the Goodman reviews they will scare you to death. I am only a 1.5 months into these new systems so my biggest worry is the quality of the coils and whether they will leak. The appearance of the systems both furnace and outside units is excellent and look very high end. The paint appears to be baked on finish both on the exterior units and the furnaces. So I am tickled pink now and very comfortable with the two stage cooling, but time will tell if the systems hold up under the test of time.

Date created: 2009-08-04 Name: M. LEWIS

"Noisy new unit"
I just replaced my 5 ton a/c, and furnace with amana units. I changed to new coolant. I immediately noticed a sound reverberating in walls between the furnace in the garage and the unit outside in the rear. it sounds like a washing machine agitating. when the unit starts, it emits a loud boom that makes me jump. icalled the installer several times and am getting a brush off. I called amana to talk to a technician and was told not available to consumers. my home is cool, but I am regretting not just repairing the old unit, keeping the working furnace, and dealing with coolant change later.

Date created: 2009-07-28 Name: J Eldridge

"So far, so good - ASX16 (5-ton)"
We just had this unit installed yesterday, but as of today we are really pleased with it. It effectively cools our house and we are topping out a 105 degrees here right now. But the best difference compared to the unit is replaced is the noise. This thing is incredibly quiet (outside unit). It is about as loud as a standard box fan that you can pick up at the hardware store for $20; incredible! There is a slight rise in the noise when the compressor kicks in but it is hardly worth mentioning and the noise drops off within a few seconds. One thing I have learned is that every AC unit out there relies on the same source for their compressor - Copeland Scroll. A quick web search on the name will take you to their site. After that the outside unit is not much more than a radiator; copper tubes and metal fins. There is some electronics and supporting hardware but the heart of the unit is the Copeland Scroll. The cover for the outside units is very well made out of high quality sheet metal. It looks a lot better than the unit is replaced and I am certain that it will hold up well over time. If anything happens to change our fisrt impressions, I will let the folks here know that. But as I said - so far, so good.

Date created: 2009-07-18 Name: Carlos Sanchez

"Mr"
Piece of Junk. We had 2 brand new units installed in our house. They gave us nothing but trouble from the day one. Multiple failures of condenser and evaporator cores. Both had to be replaced after 5 years.

Date created: 2009-07-16 Name: Dan Walton

"Danny"
The compressor unit seems to cool ok,but, at a cost. I replaced a 20 year old carrier unit with an amana. The new amana was supposed to be quieter and more cost efficient. I can honestly say that it is the loudest a/c unit I have ever heard. I can hear it running from anywhere in my house, and from as far away as my nieghbors house two doors down the street. I believe the compreesor is making the noise, and will not last because of it. Amana has replaced the unit, admitting the loudness of it, but the new unit is just as bad. As for cost efficient, do not see it.

Date created: 2009-07-14 Name: Cynthia Miller

"Amana"
Complete piece of junk. Had compressor replaced 2 years ago and now it is out again. Company says only had a 90 day warranty on new compressor. paid $150.00 to be told that I need a whole new unit.