Consumer Reviews of AMANA central air conditioners

Read more about AMANA central air conditioners

Date created: 2009-08-12 Name: Doug T.

"Quiet and Cool"
We purchased a complete replacement of two zones worth of heating and air conditioning. 3 ton 2 stage 16 seer for the upstairs and 2 ton 2 stage 16 seer for downstairs each mated with a variable speed 95% efficient furnace units, and vision pro iaq thermostats. All this and some new ducting for some problem rooms the total install was under $10k, which beat the nearest competitors single stage system quotes by $4k. I will have to say that so far so good. I am very pleased with the cooling comfort, and the low noise of the systems. I do notice that you can hear more compressor noise on hotter days and its not because the second stage kicked in, but I am told that hotter outside ambient temperatures cause a heavier load on the system and the compressor works harder and makes more sound as a result but even at its loudest it's many times less noisy than the old builder grade crap we replaced. The units are made by Goodman and if you read the Goodman reviews they will scare you to death. I am only a 1.5 months into these new systems so my biggest worry is the quality of the coils and whether they will leak. The appearance of the systems both furnace and outside units is excellent and look very high end. The paint appears to be baked on finish both on the exterior units and the furnaces. So I am tickled pink now and very comfortable with the two stage cooling, but time will tell if the systems hold up under the test of time.

Date created: 2009-08-04 Name: M. LEWIS

"Noisy new unit"
I just replaced my 5 ton a/c, and furnace with amana units. I changed to new coolant. I immediately noticed a sound reverberating in walls between the furnace in the garage and the unit outside in the rear. it sounds like a washing machine agitating. when the unit starts, it emits a loud boom that makes me jump. icalled the installer several times and am getting a brush off. I called amana to talk to a technician and was told not available to consumers. my home is cool, but I am regretting not just repairing the old unit, keeping the working furnace, and dealing with coolant change later.

Date created: 2009-07-28 Name: J Eldridge

"So far, so good - ASX16 (5-ton)"
We just had this unit installed yesterday, but as of today we are really pleased with it. It effectively cools our house and we are topping out a 105 degrees here right now. But the best difference compared to the unit is replaced is the noise. This thing is incredibly quiet (outside unit). It is about as loud as a standard box fan that you can pick up at the hardware store for $20; incredible! There is a slight rise in the noise when the compressor kicks in but it is hardly worth mentioning and the noise drops off within a few seconds. One thing I have learned is that every AC unit out there relies on the same source for their compressor - Copeland Scroll. A quick web search on the name will take you to their site. After that the outside unit is not much more than a radiator; copper tubes and metal fins. There is some electronics and supporting hardware but the heart of the unit is the Copeland Scroll. The cover for the outside units is very well made out of high quality sheet metal. It looks a lot better than the unit is replaced and I am certain that it will hold up well over time. If anything happens to change our fisrt impressions, I will let the folks here know that. But as I said - so far, so good.

Date created: 2009-07-18 Name: Carlos Sanchez

"Mr"
Piece of Junk. We had 2 brand new units installed in our house. They gave us nothing but trouble from the day one. Multiple failures of condenser and evaporator cores. Both had to be replaced after 5 years.

Date created: 2009-07-16 Name: Dan Walton

"Danny"
The compressor unit seems to cool ok,but, at a cost. I replaced a 20 year old carrier unit with an amana. The new amana was supposed to be quieter and more cost efficient. I can honestly say that it is the loudest a/c unit I have ever heard. I can hear it running from anywhere in my house, and from as far away as my nieghbors house two doors down the street. I believe the compreesor is making the noise, and will not last because of it. Amana has replaced the unit, admitting the loudness of it, but the new unit is just as bad. As for cost efficient, do not see it.

Date created: 2009-07-14 Name: Cynthia Miller

"Amana"
Complete piece of junk. Had compressor replaced 2 years ago and now it is out again. Company says only had a 90 day warranty on new compressor. paid $150.00 to be told that I need a whole new unit.

Date created: 2009-07-09 Name: Jimmy

"Reply to HOPE"
Your post sounds almost impossible to believe! Either you're a competitor just bashing this brand or you have had the worst experience ever! I find your comments impossible to believe....things you say just do not make sense. If all you say is true, then you must of had the absolute worst hack ever install your system! Some things are a bit over the top....your post is way over the top! Hard to believe!

Date created: 2009-07-03 Name: HOPE EDMISTON
Location: Texas

"AMANA SUCKS"
We purchased the inside and out brand new with a 5 yr warranty then paid for the ten yr extended. So far we have had the inside motor and squirrel cage replaced 4 times because they fell apart. Then we've had the outside fan replaced. The condensers been replaced and we had to change our inside breaker from a 40 amp to a 60 amp due to the outside unit shutting it off after the 2 inside fan was replaced. now as of last night (temp. 105 Texas) inside temp was 92, the compressor and condensors are both out. Had to find a window unit and have my kids sleep in my room on the floor just to keep cool. I know there is a lemon law and if Amana doesn't want to replace it then I will be finding me a lawyer. When you pay $5000.00 you expect the darn thing to last more then 3 yrs. but these repairs have been happening since it was 6 months old. I will never buy Amana again. We're not rich people and can't just go replace it every 3 yrs. You except it to have minor problems, but this is crazy. never again!!!

Date created: 2009-06-26 Name: Larry Tompkins

"Very dependable"
Our Amana ac unit has been absolutely wonderful. It keeps our home very comfortable and we have not experienced any problems in the 4 years since it was installed. Very quiet and very dependable.

Date created: 2009-06-23 Name: D. Bloomer

"Amana Central AC"
We have an Amana ac. We have not had one problem with it. We have it serviced yearly and are completely satisfied with it.