Consumer Reviews of AMANA central air conditioners

Read more about AMANA central air conditioners

Date created: 2010-05-17 Name: LW Miller

"LEMON AMANA AC"
Amana rce prestige 14 air conditioner LEMON! LEMON! LEMON! LEMON! We have spent close to $1000 in service tickets on this piece of crap since being installed. My AC installer stated this unit has been a major problem and Amana/Maytag is not working with the installers. WARRANTY means nothing! We still have to pay for the service ticket on the labor to replace the warranty part. It has had 6 major components replaced. Today, we are replacing a part that was replaced less than two years ago. AMANA - you are FIRED - no more dishwashers, dryers, washers from this family of 5. Remember, the rules of 20 x 5 = 100 lost customers!

Date created: 2010-04-07 Name: BS Brunner

"Happy in Houston"
I bought a new Amana 11 seer 5 ton, single speed condenser and evaporator coil in 1991 for my 2900 sq ft home in Houston and for 17 years, never touched it. At 16 years, I had to put fan motor on the condenser ($200). Did annual service every 3 years. I personally have had a fantastic experience with my unit. After 19 years, it stopped running this week. Replacing with an completed Amana 16 SEER System. Lifetime warranty on all condenser parts and 10 warranty of labor for $3,000 less than 4 other companies.

Date created: 2009-12-02 Name: Leslie Nee

"Amana 16 SEER"
Two and a half years ago we had our Amana 16 seer heating and air conditioning installed by what we thought to be a reputable contractor. After it was installed we had some areas too hot and some areas too cold and some areas didn't have airflow at all and just didn't cool well when it was hot out. We had the contractor back several times and he kept saying everything was just fine. Finally after 2 summers of frustration we called out other contractors. Four contractors said it was the Amana units and we must change them to the brand they were pushing. Our 5th contractor was the only one that told us we had great high efficient equipment but it was installed all wrong. He convinced us by showing us the Amana instructions compared it to what we got and also found the big problems with the new flexible ducts that were choked by poor installation. It took 3-1/2 days of complete reinstallation of our Amana 16 seer heating and air conditioning along with new metal ducts. This Amana unit heats and cools better than we ever expected and now we have great air flow everywhere. Our electric bill dropped almost in half this summer. Incredible difference on just the installation. I expect our heating bill will do the same? And so quiet we can't even tell its running. We look back now and almost made a big mistake by buying new equipment the others were pushing and still would of had a bad installation. Even though we learned a hard lesson, a $4,500 lesson. (Thats what we paid to have the system properly reinstalled) We are now proud owners of a energy efficient Amana heating and air conditioning system. btw don't use the flexible ducts. Buy the metal ducts. They work the best.

Date created: 2009-11-24 Name: Frank J Johnson

"Amana Man"
After reading every one of these reviews, it is easy to see the ones that are pure lies. Most of these negative responses are written with info that simply is not true. the person speaking of Amana charging the contractor a trade in fee for compressor, false. the contractor is never charged for warranty parts, only the freight to get that part to them if not in stock. Most of these negative reviews are either from falsehoods, impersonators (other manufacturers) or people who used "Chuck in a Truck" instead of a reputable contractor. Your unit is only as good as the installer. Do your homework on your contractor b4 you agree to do business.

Date created: 2009-11-24 Name: Tom Skarvada

"Great unit"
This Amana condensing unit replaced the first of two Carrier units (several house zones). Talk about side by side comparison! The Amana unit is somewhat larger, but much quieter and much more efficient. The old Carrier used to blow fuse once is a while, the Amana does not, it just .... "chills!" Good job, Amana!

Date created: 2009-10-12 Name: RPG

"Amana"
After installing over 66,000 heating and air conditioning systems in the San Gabrial valley where it can get 105 degrees. I have installed 13 different manufacturers over the past 40 years. If you have a problem with Amana equipemt and have changed out the equipment. News Flash! Its not the equipments fault. You have an installation problem. Southern Calif. Edisons web site will tell you 70% of central heating and air conditioning systems are intalled wrong. The difference in equipment manufacturers is how they are built, cost and warranties but they will all perform the same just some last longer than others. How you install them is more important than the equipment you choose. Choose a professional installer that will follow the manufacturers installation instructions and puts it in writing. And stay away from the guys that don't follow manufacturers instructions that brag that can do the job in one day for an entire system. Amana is one of the finest manufacturers out there and stand behind their products.

Date created: 2009-09-23 Name: Jim E. Prestwood

"Piece of Junk"
I have a 16 seer/ 2 speed compressor unit.This was supposed to be one of Amanas' top of the line units. After they replaced the outside unit 2 times and the inside unit 3 times, the unit still has the same problem. The unit sweats. When I say sweat, to the point I have ruined sheetrock in my attic twice. To the point, water pours off the unit and the srews on the first unit were rusting after 6 months of service. Amana has added parts to the unit. They have wrapped the unit with insulation, and now they are wrapping it with foam insulation and duct board. Sounds like they have ammited they have a problem with this unit, they just keep trying to cover it up. I personnaly will never buy any Amana products again.

Date created: 2009-09-22 Name: JD, Wagner

"Not Happy"
Real nice, 2 years old and 3 different problems I was told not to buy a Amana from another dealer I should of listened. I also found out that it is the same unit as Goodman which if I know I would of never purchased.

Date created: 2009-08-12 Name: Doug T.

"Quiet and Cool"
We purchased a complete replacement of two zones worth of heating and air conditioning. 3 ton 2 stage 16 seer for the upstairs and 2 ton 2 stage 16 seer for downstairs each mated with a variable speed 95% efficient furnace units, and vision pro iaq thermostats. All this and some new ducting for some problem rooms the total install was under $10k, which beat the nearest competitors single stage system quotes by $4k. I will have to say that so far so good. I am very pleased with the cooling comfort, and the low noise of the systems. I do notice that you can hear more compressor noise on hotter days and its not because the second stage kicked in, but I am told that hotter outside ambient temperatures cause a heavier load on the system and the compressor works harder and makes more sound as a result but even at its loudest it's many times less noisy than the old builder grade crap we replaced. The units are made by Goodman and if you read the Goodman reviews they will scare you to death. I am only a 1.5 months into these new systems so my biggest worry is the quality of the coils and whether they will leak. The appearance of the systems both furnace and outside units is excellent and look very high end. The paint appears to be baked on finish both on the exterior units and the furnaces. So I am tickled pink now and very comfortable with the two stage cooling, but time will tell if the systems hold up under the test of time.

Date created: 2009-08-04 Name: M. LEWIS

"Noisy new unit"
I just replaced my 5 ton a/c, and furnace with amana units. I changed to new coolant. I immediately noticed a sound reverberating in walls between the furnace in the garage and the unit outside in the rear. it sounds like a washing machine agitating. when the unit starts, it emits a loud boom that makes me jump. icalled the installer several times and am getting a brush off. I called amana to talk to a technician and was told not available to consumers. my home is cool, but I am regretting not just repairing the old unit, keeping the working furnace, and dealing with coolant change later.