Consumer Reviews of AMANA central air conditioners

Read more about AMANA central air conditioners

Date created: 2016-08-18 Name: Brad Shaver
Location: Lyman, SC

"Stay away!"
I would select below "very unsatisfied" if that was an option. Brand new unit in 2012. Had to replace the outside unit in 2014. Luckily it was under warranty but still had to pay for labor. I've had it "fixed" 3 times so far in 2016 and it's not cooling again. I even tried changing repairmen but neither one could keep this pile of junk running. Don't be fooled by the "lifetime warranty" - what that means is that it won't work right during your lifetime.

Date created: 2016-06-11 Name: J Shepherd
Location: Louisville, KY

"Unreliable"
After 1 year, it broke. It's 90 degrees and no air. Ten year warranty is no good if service stinks. They can't get to us for 2 days.

Date created: 2016-05-17 Name: Laura
Location: Lebanon, PA

"Big mistake!"
Not even used one season and water is pouring out of the return. My installer ( who is on the Amana website) never returned to fix it. Called another Amana service company and spent $125.00 for them to look at it. They said it would cost $400.00 to fix. Called Amana. They said that the part is not under warranty, it is extra. So, a part to keep my AC from leaking all over my ceiling, walls and floor is extra? Terrible unit, terrible service!

Date created: 2016-01-18 Name: Karen Smith
Location: Troutdale, OR

"Very unsatisfied"
We have had our unit for about 7-8 years. At 43 degrees the gas heat is coming on when it should not be. The gas heat is secondary, the heat pump is first. There is evidently something wrong with the heat pump. Not only that but the company that did our furnace and heat pump would not come out to see why our furnace or heat pump would not turn on during freezing rain. We are no longer going with ******* ******* ** *** because of this. We could have frozen. But thanks to Sunset Heating we got our heat back on.

Date created: 2015-10-25 Name: Larry

"Amana A/C, best choice I could have made"
I bought 2 Amana A/C-heating systems (a 4 ton and a 3 ton) 4.5 years ago and I couldn't be happier. I clean the outside coils once a year and change the filters once every 1.5 months. Except for that they have been maintenance free. The smaller unit's compressor seems to be a little louder from my bedroom but when I go outside I don't hear the difference between the 2. I wrote a review after the 1st year and still believe it is the installer that makes the difference between a good unit and a bad one. He installed 2 identical units for one of my neighbors and a 3 ton for another 1 year after mine and only 1 service call since on all 5 units.

Date created: 2015-09-25 Name: Elizabeth L.
Location: Houston, TX

"Works fine"
We have an Amana 14 SEER AC unit that was installed in 2012. It has functioned very well so far with no problems.

Date created: 2015-09-04 Name: rbristol
Location: Austin, TX

"Do not buy"
I had a 17-year old AC system that I knew was well beyond its life cycle, yet it performed well with annual check-ups. I decided to replace the system while a federal energy tax rebate system was in place. Two years after installing the Amana system, the coil started to leak gas. The local AC company performed a colored gas leak test, though unfortunately they did not bring the necessary UV lamp to confirm leakage. As a consequence, the system ran very inefficiently for the following summer season. The following spring, in the third year of ownership, a leak in the coil was confirmed. The coil was replaced, and while still under warranty, I paid nearly $900 for replacement labor. Now, during the fifth year of ownership, the system is again not cooling efficiently, and everything points to a gas leak at the coil. There are other AC systems similarly priced, so I am extremely disappointed that my investment price has increased substantially. Buy another system!

Date created: 2015-06-19 Name: R. Hill
Location: San Antonio, TX

"Don't buy"
Purchased an Amana 4 ton gas system in April 2008. In September 2009, I had to replace a leaking coil. On April 15, the system is leaking again. The dealer says they quit carrying the Amana brand due to the problems. They will try a stop leak on my system now if I pay the service charge and if I wait until fall and the coil is the problem again it will cost me $800 to replace it. Apparently the dealer feels it is my problem alone. If I have to replace the system it won't be this dealer.

Date created: 2015-04-08 Name: Luis Acosta
Location: Pearland, TX

"Is one of the best and quiet equipment"
Amana is the best brand.

Date created: 2015-03-30 Name: S Michaelson
Location: Vero Beach, FL

"Amana air conditiong and heat pump"
This unit has broken down at least 4 times in the 5 years we have lived here. It was new when we bought our new home. It has been serviced and still we have trouble. Today the air handler fan stopped working. You need to make a better product. I definitely would not buy this brand again.