Consumer Reviews of Woodmaster wood furnaces

#14  of 28 brands of wood furnaces

Read more about Woodmaster wood furnaces

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2014-04-01 Name: Philip
Location: Springfield, MN

"If you like to babysit"
Bought three of the burners and burning wood pellets. All junk. Have to babysit and replace parts on a weekly basis to keep the furnaces going. They are installed indoors even and still have issues. Not worth the investment at all!! Of course now we are stuck with them.

Date created: 2014-03-17 Name: jeremy dupont
Location: middleburgh ny

"Built for the long haul"
Have owned a Woodmaster 4400 for 11years. I fill the stove once a day heating 2500 square feet. Had a problem with fan shrowd in the dead of winter, Woodmaster gave me a complete new door with fan/fan shrowd at no cost! With simple construction of the Woodmaster I could change the door in 10 min and never had to shut my stove down. I have told everyone that asks me about my stove that it is the best there is and have had many friends that have bought one. Keep up the good work!

Date created: 2014-02-15 Name: Jensen
Location: Wisconsin

"1100 used for 6 seasons - nothing but trouble."
I have used the 1100 Corn/pellet furnace for 6 seasons. There are multiple design problems with this furnace. Augering is undersized and under powered. I have had the moving parts of this furnace replaced four times yet it still has issues. The sales/service person is unresponsive as is the engineering staff at the company. The company claims it is something I am doing wrong but they can't tell me what I am doing wrong. Invitations to my property have gone unanswered. Service person will no longer work on the stove. He will get parts for me but will not install them. Furnace does not completely burn pellets, most end in the ash bin partially burned. If you tweak the controls to get a better burn, you end up burning the metal parts inside the burn chamber. I would suggest NEVER buy this stove. I am currently in the market for a furnace (Wood this time - no more corn or pellets) that I will not have to spend hours working on in the middle of Winter in below zero wind chills. I wish I could give this furnace a negative number rating!

Date created: 2013-11-16 Name: M.Scensny
Location: Upstate NY

"WoodMaster 434"
This is an older model WoodMaster 434, bought it used installed it myself. I have had it for three years and this was the best decision I've made. We heated with propane for heat and hot water before approx. $5,000 a season, the wood boiler burns approx. 6-7 cord a season at 250 $1,500-$1,750 a cord. I buy log length, cut and split myself. It's a little cheaper but more work. It has endless hot water and we can keep the 3,000 sq.ft house at 73 degrees. Radiant heat first floor-base board second floor. If newer models are better, a design would definitely buy another Woodmaster. Oh ya, no problems at all, very pleased.

Date created: 2013-07-10 Name: R.Shea
Location: northern michigan

"WoodMaster 4400"
I have owned the WoodMaster 4400 for 3 years and love it. No problems very little smoke with a good bed of coals. I will use between 3 to 5 medium logs usually no bigger than a basketball. Cut about 24 inches long and fill it twice a day in the dead of winter. I heat 2000 sq ft, I buy a lead load every year and have had enough leftover to burn for the first 3 months of the next year. I burn from September 15 to May? Last year was a long cold year, so I burned about a whole lead load last year.

Date created: 2012-11-25 Name: Pius "Paps" Rademaker
Location: southern Indiana

"Burning wood has its ups and downs"
I bought an outdoor wood furnace (Woodmaster 434) b/c my self-built house wasn't "tight" yet and I couldn't afford to heat with electricity or propane. Installed this unit in 2000. The up side: (1) wood is relatively inexpensive in the lower midwest, so cost was less than electric or propane (at least until 2009), (2) the heat is pleasant,can't quite describe why. Down sides: Unless you like it cool in the winter, it takes a lot of wood -- these units are 20 -50 percent efficient, (2) You gotta fill them at least once a day - your family has to be willing to do it (mine no longer is),(3) they rust and Woodmasters are particularly susceptible to rust, and (4) they clog up unless you keep the water treated--that's expensive to do it right. Mine's shot now -- water jacket is rusted through at several places. Wood's more expensive, geothermal is cheaper, these furnaces are now illegal in my state, so were moving to geothermal.

Date created: 2012-08-03 Name: Heydi
Location: iiFkbApdW

"Heydi"
I am exploring the possibility of building a Passivhaus in my garden. As our southern boundary runs alongside a major raf helicopter training base, dealing with noise is a key issue. Your comments regarding the effectiveness of triple glazing were really quite reassuring, although we've lived alongside the airfield for eleven years, and it's never really been as difficult to live with as we feared before we moved here. I rather like the idea of high thermal mass in the walls, partly to reduce noise, but also to maintain even temperatures. However most people seem to think timber frame is the best route. Our existing house is part of a very large Barn conversion, and we have 40cm thick masonry walls, which are brilliant. Even in the hottest heatwave we're cool indoors, and we're almost immune from power cuts in winter, because the house takes a long time to cool down when the heating goes off. That's why I favor high thermal mass. It also keeps the aircraft noise out very effectively. The roof is insulated with Rockwool, and overall the house, despite being converted to 1990 standards is surprisingly energy efficient. Do you have any views on the thermal mass issue?

Date created: 2012-04-23 Location: Wooster, Ohio

"Wood Burning Furnace and How Well it Preforms"
What I like the most about my LT90 WoodMaster is that it has cut our propane use by 70 percent. Me and my family love it because they never complain about what the thermostat is set on because it's never on!

Date created: 2012-04-11 Location: Rensselaer, IN

"Woodmaster 4400: Master of Wood Furnaces"
I've got a 4400 Woodmaster outdoor wood furnace and love it. I've had it for the past three years. I heat a 3300 sq-ft house with radiant heat in the basement and a 50 hot water tank. I load my stove once a day about 2/3 full with a good thick layer of ash in the bottom. I would recommend it to anyone. If you have poor underground piping however, this is not the proper product for you. Also, you must have a large enough pump. Mine isn't quite large enough to make the heat last as long. I've never needed to repair it. It works very well and requires little maintenance. I would buy the same brand again definitely, and I would recommend it to all.

Date created: 2012-02-10 Name: J. Fennell
Location: Bainbridge, OH

"Woodmaster 434 (4400)"
Woodmaster 434, which is the predecessor of the 4400 (same design) Have had since 2001, burning constantly (Domestic hot water and radiant heat). Replace door gasket about every 3 years. Dealer network is shaky. Dealer promptly went out of business after I bought mine, and there isn't another within 100 miles. He did a poor job on the tubing going to the house (underinsulated). Had to replace every 1" compression fitting in the system (all leaked in first year) Use Shark Bite fittings. 10 years, no leaks. Woodmaster's dhw heat exchanger arrangement is substandard, but works. Replaced the Taco 0011 circulator pump at year #8. Exterior steel is rusting through now. Parts are fairly easy to get from woodmaster website. Unit burns okay, but is not very efficient. I've gotten a lot of use out of it, and don't regret my purchase; but with technology improvements of late, am upgrading to a gasifier unit - non- Woodmaster.