Comparing over 45,000 air conditioners, boilers, furnaces and heat pumps

Read reviews of other Wood Furnace brands

Date created: 2013-02-21 Name: bruce w. thurston
Location: Southern Ontario

"Lots of Problems"
I am still having problems with my ecb200a furnace Serial no. e2a000005 built October 2007. This unit was sold to me and installed by a dealer in December 2007. The dealer left his position with sales and service of these stoves about a month after we bought it. This furnace has been repaired 4 times now for leaks in the firebox (3 times) and 1 tube leak which I was able to repair myself. It lost all of its water on February 7, 2013 and I cannot see where the leak is nor can my repairman. In the fall 2011, Sam Zehr from Morningdale plumbing (519-577-5942) examined the furnace and was able to have it repaired so that it was operable over last year’s burning season, as it is utilized only during the cold months. When this stove was installed the proper water treatment was put in but Mr. dealer did no water test and no instructions as to the proper use and care were given although the appropriate water levels were maintained. From looking at thier website they do not even offer this unit for sale anymore which makes me think that they recognised that it had problems. In talking with other furnace manufacturers (as I am looking for a replacement) more than a few have heard of this problem with the Empyre(profab) ecb units burning out. I have had problems with the air blower, having replaced 2 blower motors. The air channel plugged up with hard crystalline deposit which required taking the blower off and trying to clear the air channel which I have had to do on several occasions. The air channels inside the furnace, especially the vertical one at the back, is almost impossible to clean out as it plugs up. When I took possession of my furnace they included a gismo that you attached to a plastic rod and were to use a drill to clean the tubes which turned out to be quite useless. I fashioned a tube cleaner which I used to clean the horizontal tubes and the vertical ones were very difficult to clean. When the stove was working it worked quite well but I do not have much confidence in this unit now and question what Profab will do for me to rectify these problems. The furnace has been used for just over five years and should have been operational for a much longer period which does not speak well of thier product. Regards Bruce W. Thurston (519-740-6220)

Date created: 2012-07-20 Location: Cookeville, TN

"A Great Outdoor Furnace for My Hot Water Heating Needs"
I absolutely love my pro-Fab Industries outdoor wood furnace. I have owned this furnace for about six months and use it daily. I really love the furnace's steel look, which has a nicer aesthetic appeal than some other furnaces I checked on before buying this one. As of now, I have no complaints about this product. I have never needed to have the unit replaced or repaired. I have friends who have had this furnace much longer than I have, and they always comment on the furnace's durability. I mainly use this furnace to heat hot water and for radiant heating. This furnace is very useful for my home, as it allows me an alternative way to get hot water, as well as heat my home. This was my first outdoor furnace purchase, and overall the experience has been very positive. I plan on using my great new furnace for many years to come, and I look forward to using an outdoor wood furnace for the rest of my life.

Date created: 2012-05-21 Location: Yardley PA

"Better To Spend More For Quality"
I have owned my Cozeburn 250 for about 10 months now. I used it mostly this past winter. While I am happy with many parts of it including the low cost to maintain it, the ease to use it and the cleaning process after use, I still feel let down by it. I have relatives that have outdoor wood furnaces that cost more then mine and while theirs may not be as easy to use all the time the amount of heat you get has no comparison. I feel that I bought a cheaper to mid line product that while has many benefits fails in a big part in that the heat output simply can not compete with the more expensive ones. If I went back to when I was buying one I would have spent more money to get more heat out of it.

Date created: 2012-04-09 Location: Spring, Texas

"Outdoor furnace"
I have owned this wood furnace for one year. And let me tell you I used it this last winder and it is fantastic! I love the heat output from it. It is absolutely beautiful too I have gotten so many complements on it. If there is anything I dislike about it was how expensive it was, but I did want a great quality unit. I have never had to replace to repair anything on it yet. I would most definitely buy the same brand again, and recommend it to anyone. This furnace is for anyone who is needing to produce some serious heat while doing so with a great quality products that looks absolutely fantastic. The warranty that comes with the unit is absolutely fantastic!

Date created: 2011-11-25 Location: East Lansing, MI

"Profab Cozeburn 250 Review"
I have owned my wood boiler for almost two years. I love it! It works as it should and keeps my warm while saving energy. I only have to fill it once a day and even then it is not too much labor. If I have one qualm with it is that it MUST be stocked with wood always otherwise it will not work. When I go on vacation I have to trust a neigbor with restocking the furnace. I have never had to repair or replace it. I do not have anything to stack up against the product but will still strongly recommend the Profab Industries Cozeburn 250 Wood Boiler as it filled all of my expectations in a wood furnace and managed to exceed them as well. Be wary of resellers marking these products up, otherwise you should have yourself a reliable product that will keep you warm for years.